AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #6,106 of 10,196
Hmmm.... Think of it this way !

The Ultrasuede pads are sort of a 'Broadband" filter. The charcteristics you're attempting to change aren't really 'Broadband' problems as the rest of music really doesn't contain enough additional Dynamic contrast in it to not end up also being filtered some.

It's really no surprise that the sound becomes a bit less interesting when you additionally reduce sound levels that you hadn't intended to change. It's not a big deal it just using "The wrong tool for the job" . The Microsuede pads I use w/ my NH works great for "The music I'm using it for" Different music has different sound requirements due to different instrumentation,recording techniques, etc...

Any non-'suede pads I've tried are way too foward sounding &  tradeoff  the development of low level harmonics information for more sound impact. The suede pads delay some impact &  welcome the low level information development.

It's nothing more than using the 'right tool' for the 'job' . (All this talk about tools makes this sound a bit like work, doesn't it ; It's not that bad)

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #6,108 of 10,196

Sorry i should clarify. my mistake

I dont really care for what the company says, that's their marketing pitch. I'm not saying i dont like what they say, just that its expected they praise their own technology.

i meant personal opinions for those who have real woodies and the nighthawk

sorry for confusion

Just read the info.
Also, wood can be very inconsistent in acoustic properties from one sample to another. 

kev

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #6,109 of 10,196
  Just read the info.
Also, wood can be very inconsistent in acoustic properties from one sample to another. 

kev

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so they take our long term mental health in mind. Good for AudioQuest.
happy_face1.gif

Consistency is good in this game! L/R variations would not be fun for the woodies. I wonder if they take that into account. I'm sure they use the same block of wood. :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #6,110 of 10,196

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so they take our long term mental health in mind. Good for AudioQuest.
happy_face1.gif

Consistency is good in this game! L/R variations would not be fun for the woodies. I wonder if they take that into account. I'm sure they use the same block of wood. :)

I'm sure mfg. of quality woodies try hard to match them as best they can. 

kev

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #6,111 of 10,196
I have been using the night owls now for about 2 1/2 weeks with my iPhone and dragonfly red. I have about 150-200 hours on it and am a little confused. I am missing a lot of the very low end sounds that I am used to hearing on my in ear phones. Certain songs with super deep organ notes or upright bass notes are barely there at all. I wear glasses so maybe that is the problem. I've tried both pads and neither seem to help much. Is my setup not powerful enough? Should I be eq'ing and if so could someone recommend an app for the iPhone?

It's the Dragonfly RED. Not enough bass. I put on a different DAC/Amp to my LCD 2 and the bass is there again. Switch to DFR, bass gone again.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #6,112 of 10,196
In an effort to unpick the damage I seem to have accidentally done to international relations tonight: debut Miles Mosley LP out today. Someone far smarter than I said that he sounds like "if Jimi Hendrix played double bass in Prince's band". It's the sound of a tight West Coast funk outfit thoroughly enjoying themselves. Fantastic on NightHawk.

Available from Bleep: https://bleep.com/release/78715-miles-mosley-uprising

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #6,114 of 10,196
Is that the bassist for Kamasi Washington? Saw Kamasi and the band in concert last year and they are incredible.

Yup.

Almost fifty years ago I met Hendrix at his first concert in the USA... The Monterey International Pop Festival.

If you like Kamasai, check out Anderson Paak. I saw him play the other day... great stuff!

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #6,115 of 10,196
Is that the bassist for Kamasi Washington? Saw Kamasi and the band in concert last year and they are incredible.

Yep. That's him. Playing the Jazz Cafe in London in a couple of months. I got high hopes - and you've just helped confirm them!

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #6,116 of 10,196
In an effort to unpick the damage I seem to have accidentally done to international relations tonight: debut Miles Mosley LP out today. Someone far smarter than I said that he sounds like "if Jimi Hendrix played double bass in Prince's band". It's the sound of a tight West Coast funk outfit thoroughly enjoying themselves. Fantastic on NightHawk.

Available from Bleep: https://bleep.com/release/78715-miles-mosley-uprising

Thank you for posting this. Just q'd it up on Tidal.

I have Anne Bisson playing on the 'Hawks now. The sound is sublime. The lower registers of the piano sound unreal. Blue Mind is the album, and you hard core audiophiles can by it on reel to reel tape. Just $600 gets you the whole album.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #6,117 of 10,196
No Pads available in the UK. Also UK might not ever get the option of buying them as i was informed AUDIOQUEST is more if a B2B Company. They are much more concerned about looking after USA CUSTOMERS ONLY.

I certainly care about all customers regardless of country, and I know that our staff around the world feels the same way.

The reason that we cannot sell direct in Europe is due to the fact that we are set up as a business to business corporation locally. We do not have the registration required that would allow us to sell direct to customers. We really would love to sell direct to you as a customer, but we cannot for legal and tax reasons. We have to follow the law. We are, however, putting the steps in place to change this in the future so that we can support customers directly, but I am sure you can appreciate that the process takes time.

So in the case of the earpads, we have to rely on our local dealers to purchase the stock so that they can sell them to customers. Most dealers simply don't want to bother with small, low-turn accessory parts like this.

So in the meantime, I will try to find an alternative solution with our organization in Europe and beyond so that we can support customers like you better. I wish there were an easier way to get you simple parts like this; if you are patient, we will figure it out. You will be able to get pads!

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #6,118 of 10,196
  What is liquid wood? Why didn't they make it wood-wood? Is there sound benefit?
Liquid wood doesn't sound all that sexy

Liquid Wood is wood-wood. It's made by splitting wood into its component parts of lignin and cellulose. Then the two are recombined along with natural waxes. This process results in a change in the properties of the wood so that it is much more uniform and consistent. But even better is the fact that when it is heated to within a narrow temperature range, it melts to become a liquid.

This allowed us to create a complex earcup shape with compound curvature where the curve profile is constantly changing as it revolves around the center axis of the earcup (the grille of NightHawk or the dome of NightOwl). The complexity of the shape helps eliminate self-resonance and vibrational modes.

The manufacturing flexibility enabled by Liquid Wood also made possible the inclusion of integral support ribs inside the earcup. This is analogous to cabinet bracing found in practically any decent loudspeaker but not common in headphones.

Another great advantage is its self-damping properties, but unlike traditional wood construction which has directional grain, Liquid Wood is isotropic. Its physical characteristics and vibrational damping attributes are unvarying with direction or orientation.

Had we made this earcup shape from a block of wood using machining techniques (and we tried to), it would be impossible to achieve the complexity of shape, integrity of fine details, consistency of units, and acoustic performance that are possible with Liquid Wood.

Not just marketing hype. I wouldn't have used it if there weren't multiple, clear advantages versus other materials.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #6,120 of 10,196
Not in this country. There is no where to try. You either buy them or you don't.

I have a more than capable amp. I have the Violectric V281 that can run the power hungry HE-6 easily.
If you can power the HE-6 you can power virtually anything.

I'd like to hear your thoughts/comparison of HE-6 vs NightHawks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back