AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 21, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #5,087 of 10,196
  NH Wood & Nighthawk Carbon or the same. Purely cosmetic change. Carbon may be shipping with extra pads???

kev

Carbon is shipping with extra pads, but I haven't tried the microsuede/velours yet.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #5,089 of 10,196

Same here, but the NH Carbon's pleather pads are different from those coming with the NH Wood.

I think that may be responsible for the soundstage/clarity improvements  I'm hearing, but I also think the old pads were more comfortable. 

The new pads are not uncomftortable, but i feel a lot more heat now.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #5,090 of 10,196
I am a very big fan of both set of cans, but each has a different sound signature. It really depends on what music you are enjoying with each, so I am hesitant to publish an opinion.

NightHawks: have an amazing linearity and total lack of distortion - even when driving them to absurd volume levels. This is what I notice most when I come back to the 'Hawks after a break listening to my other 'phones.

They are maybe the most "speaker-like" 'phones I've personally experienced and for that attribute alone, I seriously love them. That is, nice sound stage with a presence that sounds like it's outside of your head; unlike the HD-650s (my all-time favorite headphone) where the soundstage is sort-of three blobs: center, left, right that sounds like it's right next to your head (because, well, it is).

What bothers me is the upper-bass / lower-mid bloom. With some music, it's painful and with other music it's magic. Some piano notes, in particular, are difficult to listen to with the 'Hawks. For example, Agnes Obel's poorly mixed "Citizen of Glass" is agony with these cans, but I've found that recording's emphasis on the lower-mid piano notes to be troublesome with many headphones.

With classic rock, however, the 'Hawks are my favorite cans. I've been listening to them today with the new HD Tracks release of the Best of the Grateful Dead and it's just musical and fun.

Sony MDR-Z7: the infamous "fart cannons"; that description isn't entirely wrong with some music, but with Electronica, EDM, Trip-Hop, it's magic - really. I find the bass really clean with music like Carl Finlow - best cans I have for that artist, which has punishing lower bass.

What I like the Z7s is the separation of instruments; so even when the bass seems excessive, somehow, the mids and high aren't masked or muddled. With some classical and some jazz, the Z7s are incredible, from a detail and staging perspective. There is some warmth missing, to be sure, but that's because I am used to my HD-650s with an OTL amp - where the mids are epic.

Don't know if any of that helps, as you haven't mentioned what music you like, but there it is... :L3000:

I was under the impression the Sony Z7's were tonally on the warm darkish side but I guess not! I am just gonna take a day off when Magnolia gets the NightOwl Carbon's in and listen to the Carbon's, Elear, Z7, and the Utopia and pick my next headpjone. I am in Los Angeles so very acccesible. Thanks for the impressions again!

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #5,091 of 10,196

I think that may be responsible for the soundstage/clarity improvements  I'm hearing, but I also think the old pads were more comfortable. 

The new pads are not uncomftortable, but i feel a lot more heat now.

I cannot second this. For me the pads are most comfortable. The longer I wear the headphone the less I feel it on my head/ears and I have not experienced any heat yet (longest uninterrupted hearing period was ~ 2 hours).

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #5,092 of 10,196
  I cannot second this. For me the pads are most comfortable. The longer I wear the headphone the less I "feel" it on my head/ears and I have not experienced any heat yet.

I'm only on my 1st day, maybe they soften up over time but right now the old pads feel more comfortable. Of course my old pads are well used and you may very well be spot on, only time will tell.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #5,093 of 10,196

I'm only on my 1st day, maybe they soften up over time but right now the old pads feel more comfortable. Of course my old pads are well used and you may very well be spot on, only time will tell.

When I compare the NH Carbon with my old Senn (with quite soft velours pads) I can say that I have to readjust the Senns from time to time when I hear for a longer period. With the NH Carbon I nearly never have to readjust the position of the headphone. But maybe this has something to do with the different pressure on the ears
beyersmile.png

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #5,094 of 10,196
Well i'm just ecstatic that I now have a portable Nighthawk basically. My main concern was that the Nightowl's soundstage would feel closed in but I actually think it's improved on the original semi open Nighthawk.........maybe it's the pads

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #5,095 of 10,196

I am a very big fan of both set of cans, but each has a different sound signature. It really depends on what music you are enjoying with each, so I am hesitant to publish an opinion.

NightHawks: have an amazing linearity and total lack of distortion - even when driving them to absurd volume levels. This is what I notice most when I come back to the 'Hawks after a break listening to my other 'phones.

They are maybe the most "speaker-like" 'phones I've personally experienced and for that attribute alone, I seriously love them. That is, nice sound stage with a presence that sounds like it's outside of your head; unlike the HD-650s (my all-time favorite headphone) where the soundstage is sort-of three blobs: center, left, right that sounds like it's right next to your head (because, well, it is).

What bothers me is the upper-bass / lower-mid bloom. With some music, it's painful and with other music it's magic. Some piano notes, in particular, are difficult to listen to with the 'Hawks. For example, Agnes Obel's poorly mixed "Citizen of Glass" is agony with these cans, but I've found that recording's emphasis on the lower-mid piano notes to be troublesome with many headphones.

With classic rock, however, the 'Hawks are my favorite cans. I've been listening to them today with the new HD Tracks release of the Best of the Grateful Dead and it's just musical and fun.

Sony MDR-Z7: the infamous "fart cannons"; that description isn't entirely wrong with some music, but with Electronica, EDM, Trip-Hop, it's magic - really. I find the bass really clean with music like Carl Finlow - best cans I have for that artist, which has punishing lower bass.

What I like the Z7s is the separation of instruments; so even when the bass seems excessive, somehow, the mids and high aren't masked or muddled. With some classical and some jazz, the Z7s are incredible, from a detail and staging perspective. There is some warmth missing, to be sure, but that's because I am used to my HD-650s with an OTL amp - where the mids are epic.

Don't know if any of that helps, as you haven't mentioned what music you like, but there it is... 
L3000.gif

Thanks for the run down. I ordered the NH and classic rock is probably my most favorite genres to listen to. Cant wait.

Anyone try the Nighthawks with the new Schiit Fulla 2?

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #5,097 of 10,196

Nah, Nighthawk carbon is still Nighthawk. Like to see a grand and brand new design. Just take two steps forward. They can do that, I believe it.

Does it have to be a bird? Think they've run out of nocturnal birds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nocturnal_animals

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #5,098 of 10,196
A wish list idea is Nighthawk/Nightowl headphones with an integrated Audioquest Dragonfly Dac built into the headphone cable. Convenient and tiday. Maybe named 'Nighthawk Dragon, Nightowl Dragon', not sure about the name.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #5,099 of 10,196
I was under the impression the Sony Z7's were tonally on the warm darkish side but I guess not! I am just gonna take a day off when Magnolia gets the NightOwl Carbon's in and listen to the Carbon's, Elear, Z7, and the Utopia and pick my next headpjone. I am in Los Angeles so very acccesible. Thanks for the impressions again!

There is some warmth missing, to be sure, but that's because I am used to my HD-650s with an OTL amp - where the mids are epic.

When comparing headphones, IMO, it's valuable to describe the sound in comparison with one or more sets of cans. Many are familiar with the sound of the HD-650, so It's all relative. Overall, the Z7s are warm and a little dark, as you describe, but without the rich mid-range of the 650s.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #5,100 of 10,196
  NH Wood & Nighthawk Carbon or the same. Purely cosmetic change. Carbon may be shipping with extra pads???

kev

Carbon has different earpads and cables (in addition to the cosmetic change).. considering that they're going to sell the earpads and cables separately "soon", I would think that you're better off buying the wood since they're only ~$350 right now (unless you think they're unacceptably hideous).  Even if they charge ridiculous prices for the separate earpads & cable, it's unlikely that it'll bridge the $350 vs $700 gap.  The sound is supposed to be identical between the carbon and wood (aside from what the new pads do... and whatever the new cables might do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back