AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 26, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #4,606 of 10,196
Well, I couldn't resist any longer. I have to see what this NH magic is all about. I should know Monday (well, after an extensive burn-in anyways). 

About friggin' time lol!
:beerchug:

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #4,609 of 10,196
  I was gonna buy another pair of NH but I really wanna wait for the Carbon...

Aka the NightOwl, I had missed that news, interesting concept a closed back NightHawk but not totally closed with the "airflow-resistive port"
I could use them at the office :)

I wonder about the IEM project, news on that front?
I "

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #4,610 of 10,196
Congrats ericp10

beerchug.gif

mochill I need to be through. Went and purchased that Phantom Hunter too (couldn't pass up that deal). I need to be done... really... lol.. And thanks. 

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #4,611 of 10,196
Nov 26, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #4,612 of 10,196
I bit the bullet as well.... sound unheard, as I cant demo, but just decided what the hey. Hopefully I get it next week and will start burning it in.... But just curious.... anybody ever tried these cables? https://www.amazon.com/copper-Replacement-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphone/dp/B00KAUVTZA/ref=sr_1_100?m=AJ2PJNO98VCDO&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1480161761&sr=1-100 

Saw them and am tempted to pull the trigger. I am not going to be able to keep sending my cable in for replacement often as that seems to be an issue, so want to buy a set of cables I can use one time..

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #4,613 of 10,196
  I bit the bullet as well.... sound unheard, as I cant demo, but just decided what the hey. Hopefully I get it next week and will start burning it in.... But just curious.... anybody ever tried these cables? https://www.amazon.com/copper-Replacement-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphone/dp/B00KAUVTZA/ref=sr_1_100?m=AJ2PJNO98VCDO&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1480161761&sr=1-100 

Saw them and am tempted to pull the trigger. I am not going to be able to keep sending my cable in for replacement often as that seems to be an issue, so want to buy a set of cables I can use one time..

Hang tight with the stock cables. They're fine as they are. 

And give the NH's a week or two. They don't really "burn in" like some say (IMO) but you will take a little to acclimate to their unique presentation.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #4,614 of 10,196
Maybe its just me but I kinda feel like this cable thing has been blown out of proportion. I am still using the stock cable, its not died yet.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #4,615 of 10,196
  I blame YOU!!!! lol  Thanks buddy! 

Well, I've happily blamed you enough over the years for your many wonderful recommendations, so it's nice to be able to reciprocate!

I'm really looking forward to reading about your quest with the Nighthawks. Should be fun!

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #4,616 of 10,196
Burn in is such a weird concept only in the sense that there could be this almost total transformation in sound when you hit this magical 150 hour mark. I like the NH a lot and that was only after adjusting to the sound after using them a few times. I am not saying burn in is bogus as I am not even close to the 100 hour mark and will keep my mind open about it. I am just a little skeptical when people say "wow, it sounds so awesome now and it was crappy sounding when I first tried them!"

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #4,617 of 10,196
Burn in is such a weird concept only in the sense that there could be this almost total transformation in sound when you hit this magical 150 hour mark. I like the NH a lot and that was only after adjusting to the sound after using them a few times. I am not saying burn in is bogus as I am not even close to the 100 hour mark and will keep my mind open about it. I am just a little skeptical when people say "wow, it sounds so awesome now and it was crappy sounding when I first tried them!"

I 100% believe it's about adjusting to the sound.

Like, if you took a big Nighthawk fan, took their Hawks away, and had them listen to like a Grado RS-1 for a month and learn to appreciate it, when they put on their old Hawks they'd be like "whoa these things are muddy!" because their ears were readjusted.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #4,618 of 10,196
I will be honest, I believe in burn in. I heard it on the Sony 7520s that I have. Initially the bass was very big and the highs harsh and biting. after about 40 - 50 hours, the bass lessened and tightened and it became sweeter sounding. And at the time I was alternating between the 1R and the 7520, which to me were two different signatures. I actually sold the 1Rs lol.

And the thing is, if I do have cable issues, it would be prohibitive for me to send them back..... the shipping alone would probably be about US$50 - 80. Thats why I am thinking of getting a third party pair. Living where I live..... no dealer within maybe 1000 miles

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #4,619 of 10,196
  I 100% believe it's about adjusting to the sound.

Like, if you took a big Nighthawk fan, took their Hawks away, and had them listen to like a Grado RS-1 for a month and learn to appreciate it, when they put on their old Hawks they'd be like "whoa these things are muddy!" because their ears were readjusted.

That is why when I do the burn in process I think it is very important to listen to the headphone, take notes and do not listen anymore until you have the hours you want for burn in. Then listen after burn in and compare notes, from before and after burn in.
That way if it works, it works, if it does not, oh well, your just out some time. However, no one can say it is your mind & ears adjusting and burning in.

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #4,620 of 10,196
Hang tight with the stock cables. They're fine as they are. 

And give the NH's a week or two. They don't really "burn in" like some say (IMO) but you will take a little to acclimate to their unique presentation.

I have two pairs, one brand new and one with about 50 hrs. They definitely do burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back