AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,717 of 10,194
Well great, now I gotta buy all of the pads to see which I like best. XD
x2

That goes for pretty much anything Skylar designs. Its not just that I love the NightHawk, it's the overall design philosophy and transparency as well as the quality for the dollar.

May 19, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,718 of 10,194
x2

That goes for pretty much anything Skylar designs. Its not just that I love the NightHawk, it's the overall design philosophy and transparency as well as the quality for the dollar.

absolutely agree. Should he one day bust out a 'spare no expense' totl open can I will be....... eeeeelated!!!! I'm a patient man. Perhaps one day
L3000.gif

May 19, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #2,719 of 10,194
  absolutely agree. Should he one day bust out a 'spare no expense' totl open can I will be....... eeeeelated!!!! I'm a patient man. Perhaps one day
L3000.gif

If I'm not mistaken, that IS the Nighthawk. AQ basically said "make the best headphone you can" and out came the NH.

May 19, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #2,721 of 10,194
If I'm not mistaken, that IS the Nighthawk. AQ basically said "make the best headphone you can" and out came the NH.

Almost, it was make the best headphone you can for $599, that's a lot more of a challenge, I'd love to hear what Skylar can do with a $2,000 retail!

I understood it as the former too - retail price wasn't a factor as I heard it.

May 19, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #2,722 of 10,194
I understood it as the former too - retail price wasn't a factor as I heard it.

hmmmmmm... I say wait n see. I think the best is yet to come. Don't get me wrong.. I absolutely LOVE my NHs. I reach for them much more often than any others but..... Let's just say I've got an 'inkling' 
atsmile.gif

May 19, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,723 of 10,194
Almost, it was make the best headphone you can for $599, that's a lot more of a challenge, I'd love to hear what Skylar can do with a $2,000 retail!

I would rather leave that price point to McIntosh and others... I think Audioquest is on a roll, especially for a cable company, in bringing out quality products for rational budgets. With their manufacturing reach and volume something at $999 or $1299 should give Skylar and the team plenty of room to create a masterpiece.

I have the nighthawks on my noggin as I type this, T Swift 1989 at 24bit/44khz at around the 50-60 hour mark of my break-in program. My HD700 and EL-8 are feeling a bit jealous at this point. The balance and tonal signature is the best I have yet heard through headphones. The bass is strong but not bloated in any way IMHO though I agree with @SearchOfSub in terms of the new pads and any fine tuning here... just a slight reduction in bass and the subsequent slight perception of elevated treble would be interesting though I still might prefer what I am hearing right now with stock pads. So what would I be looking for if a new and higher priced model were introduced? Just a  slightly more open sound with a little bit broader soundstage, and if that brought with it a little more definition and separation of instruments in that space then so be it, but I found the Nighthawk to sound very realistic in this regard. Then there is that final frontier of resolution, that is often mistaken for exaggerated treble or select peaks... but what I think it is for me is this sense of an electric charge delivering the music like a super collider with a lower noise floor and a sense of dynamic excitement that is broadband in nature and does not take away from the whole of the music. This is what I occasionally heard from really good speaker based hifi systems, and for me is the final element. I do not crave super resolution and other qualities that I think bring an artificial quality to many recordings.

I am looking forward to hearing the HD800S and perhaps the HE-1000 at the Minneapolis meet up this Saturday to see if I can hear some qualities that strike me as real and musically important that I am not getting from the Nighthawks. One thing for sure thus far, for me the Nighthawks have already pushed the HD600 and the HD0700 out of my mind and they are going up for sale. The EL-8 Open just barely hangs in there for it's different but not better presentation. I am a very happy camper thus far. Thanks audioquest, still love the dragonfly, still get pissed off when I look at your cables and their ridiculous prices, but the Nighthawks are keeping me focused on what I think is a class leading, innovative and honest product that serves the music rather than a house sound or special pet tricks approach to impressing a neurotic audiophile.

May 19, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #2,724 of 10,194

I would rather leave that price point to McIntosh and others... I think Audioquest is on a roll, especially for a cable company, in bringing out quality products for rational budgets. With their manufacturing reach and volume something at $999 or $1299 should give Skylar and the team plenty of room to create a masterpiece.

I have the nighthawks on my noggin as I type this, T Swift 1989 at 24bit/44khz at around the 50-60 hour mark of my break-in program. My HD700 and EL-8 are feeling a bit jealous at this point. The balance and tonal signature is the best I have yet heard through headphones. The bass is strong but not bloated in any way IMHO though I agree with @SearchOfSub in terms of the new pads and any fine tuning here... just a slight reduction in bass and the subsequent slight perception of elevated treble would be interesting though I still might prefer what I am hearing right now with stock pads. So what would I be looking for if a new and higher priced model were introduced? Just a  slightly more open sound with a little bit broader soundstage, and if that brought with it a little more definition and separation of instruments in that space then so be it, but I found the Nighthawk to sound very realistic in this regard. Then there is that final frontier of resolution, that is often mistaken for exaggerated treble or select peaks... but what I think it is for me is this sense of an electric charge delivering the music like a super collider with a lower noise floor and a sense of dynamic excitement that is broadband in nature and does not take away from the whole of the music. This is what I occasionally heard from really good speaker based hifi systems, and for me is the final element. I do not crave super resolution and other qualities that I think bring an artificial quality to many recordings.

I am looking forward to hearing the HD800S and perhaps the HE-1000 at the Minneapolis meet up this Saturday to see if I can hear some qualities that strike me as real and musically important that I am not getting from the Nighthawks. One this for sure, for me the Nighthawks have already pushed the HD600 and the HD0700 out of my mind and they are going up for sale. The EL-8 Open just barely hangs in there for it's different but not better presentation. I am a very happy camper thus far. Thanks audioquest, still love the dragonfly, still get pissed off when I look at your cables and their ridiculous prices, but the Nighthawks are keeping me focused on what I think is a class leading, innovative and honest product that serves the music rather than a house sound or special pet tricks approach to impressing a neurotic audiophile.

Well said. The Nighthawks quickly made my LCD-2s and HD800s irrelevant so it'll be interesting to see what you think about the HD800S and the EL-8 compared to the Hawks

May 20, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #2,725 of 10,194

Well said. The Nighthawks quickly made my LCD-2s and HD800s irrelevant so it'll be interesting to see what you think about the HD800S and the EL-8 compared to the Hawks

Can't speak for the 800s but the EL-8 sound pretty thin and sterile compared to the Hawks. I actually miss mine to some degree but there's no going back.

May 20, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #2,726 of 10,194

Really?

I love my NHs, but when I want to listen to classical music, I still put on the HD-700s, which are in the shade of the HD-800 from my limited listening experience.

May 20, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #2,727 of 10,194

Really?

I love my NHs, but when I want to listen to classical music, I still put on the HD-700s, which are in the shade of the HD-800 from my limited listening experience.

the NH might lack the soundstage of either of those (only heard the HD800 myself) but makes up for it with a natural tone. what's really killed me is how "unnatural" so many headphones sound now. I end up with more "consumer" style headphones (Momentum wireless) as my primary mobile because everything else ends up sounding sterile and artificially analytical.

May 20, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #2,728 of 10,194
Really?

I found the 700s to sound quite different from the 800s. After using the Hawks for a while I realised how soul-less my music was sounding with the HD800s. There's no doubt that the 800s can sound great in their own way, but they can't compare (for me) to the soulful, lifelike sound that the Nighthawks provide.

May 20, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #2,729 of 10,194

the NH might lack the soundstage of either of those (only heard the HD800 myself) but makes up for it with a natural tone. what's really killed me is how "unnatural" so many headphones sound now. I end up with more "consumer" style headphones (Momentum wireless) as my primary mobile because everything else ends up sounding sterile and artificially analytical.

yes... that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back