AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #2,506 of 10,196

Yep, look for any HD700, HE1000, or Oppo PM-1 cable. All work. 

I'd like to add that the Oppo PM-1 cable in particular is my personal favorite, it's pretty awesome
Thanks for mentioning the Oppo headphone cable.

That's a super price for a 5 meter headphone cable w/ a 6.3 mm plug .on it. (I can run my Headphone straight to my amp without using my 12' DHC extension cable w/ this cable)

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2,507 of 10,196
  From what I've read, it's obvious the NightHawks are a different beast to my HD700's but curiosity has got the best of me & I'm keen to give the NightHawks an audition.

Any HD700 owners, past or present, made the switch to NightHawks? For practical (& marital), reasons I'm pretty much limited to one pair of home & one pair mobile cans. 

Yes, very different... though my time with the Nighthawk has been very limited and my time with HD700 has been very extensive. I am hoping to keep my HD700 but get rid of about a dozen other headphones, and then buy the Nighthawk as it is my favorite of everything I have heard to date. They are very different and I predict it will be a fairly long and confusing transition between the two (weeks rather than days). You will probably miss the HD700's great transients and crystal clarity, percussive snap, plucked strings, spacious and airy sound. You will probably not miss the treble spikes. You will hopefully love the fuller bottom end of the Nighthawk, the equal but somewhat more liquid midrange and the more honest but perhaps a bit rolled off treble. I rate the comfort between the two of them as about equal, but if my ears were slightly smaller and never touched the inside edges of the HD700 I would probably give the nod to the HD700. The Nighthawks were shockingly comfortable to me however, much better than I would have guessed. I like the sound signature of the Nighthawks quite a bit and I expect that I will not be skipping over songs or switching headphones to prevent fatigue nearly as often as I do with the HD700. But when the HD700 is on point, it is a great experience and I prefer it to the HD800 (though I would imagine I would prefer the HD800S).

If you have a nice desktop rig, try to keep the HD700 as it will be a great compliment to the Nighthawk and they both will cover just about any mood or music you may be into at any given moment. If you are going more portable or minimalist and want a more accessible headphone that can be driven by just about anything, then switch to the Nighthawk (assuming you find favor in it's sound signature) and sell the HD700 and don't look back. If your wife is often telling you to turn down your headphones because you are often in the same room and other things are going on... consider the Oppo PM-3 but still give the Nighthawk a chance as it is much less intrusive than a pure open headphone like the HD700.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2,508 of 10,196
  From what I've read, it's obvious the NightHawks are a different beast to my HD700's but curiosity has got the best of me & I'm keen to give the NightHawks an audition.

Any HD700 owners, past or present, made the switch to NightHawks? For practical (& marital), reasons I'm pretty much limited to one pair of home & one pair mobile cans. 

Yes, except for some Jazz (e.g. BeBop) and Classical, for which I vastly prefer the HD-700, sue to their detail and imaging.

For much else, however, I am a fan of the NightHawks.

Horses for courses...

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2,509 of 10,196
Yes, very different... though my time with the Nighthawk has been very limited and my time with HD700 has been very extensive. I am hoping to keep my HD700 but get rid of about a dozen other headphones, and then buy the Nighthawk as it is my favorite of everything I have heard to date. They are very different and I predict it will be a fairly long and confusing transition between the two (weeks rather than days). You will probably miss the HD700's great transients and crystal clarity, percussive snap, plucked strings, spacious and airy sound. You will probably not miss the treble spikes. You will hopefully love the fuller bottom end of the Nighthawk, the equal but somewhat more liquid midrange and the more honest but perhaps a bit rolled off treble. I rate the comfort between the two of them as about equal, but if my ears were slightly smaller and never touched the inside edges of the HD700 I would probably give the nod to the HD700. The Nighthawks were shockingly comfortable to me however, much better than I would have guessed. I like the sound signature of the Nighthawks quite a bit and I expect that I will not be skipping over songs or switching headphones to prevent fatigue nearly as often as I do with the HD700. But when the HD700 is on point, it is a great experience and I prefer it to the HD800 (though I would imagine I would prefer the HD800S).

If you have a nice desktop rig, try to keep the HD700 as it will be a great compliment to the Nighthawk and they both will cover just about any mood or music you may be into at any given moment. If you are going more portable or minimalist and want a more accessible headphone that can be driven by just about anything, then switch to the Nighthawk (assuming you find favor in it's sound signature) and sell the HD700 and don't look back. If your wife is often telling you to turn down your headphones because you are often in the same room and other things are going on... consider the Oppo PM-3 but still give the Nighthawk a chance as it is much less intrusive than a pure open headphone like the HD700.

Thanks for taking the time to reply; much appreciated. I've now ordered a pair that are due to arrive tomorrow!

I do like the HD700's, it's sheer curiosity that's got me interested in the NightHawks (that & a lot of positives from people whose opinions I rate).

My home setup is pretty minimal & will remain so for the foreseeable - MacBook Air > Chord Mojo > HD700.

I understand there's a reasonable burn in recommended for these so I think I'd be pushing my luck to look at returning them after that period if they don't suit. Whilst I'm looking for my home cans to be as much of a do it all pair as possible, I'm not averse to expanding to two pairs!

Open backs aren't an issue and I sold my PM-3's to part fund the HD700's - whilst I thought they were great I'm more than happy with my Momentum 2.0AE's for when I'm out & about.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,510 of 10,196

Thanks; I'm looking forward to giving them a listen tomorrow....

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,511 of 10,196

From what I've read, it's obvious the NightHawks are a different beast to my HD700's but curiosity has got the best of me

Yes, except for some Jazz (e.g. BeBop) and Classical, for which I vastly prefer the HD-700, sue to their detail and imaging.

For much else, however, I am a fan of the NightHawks.

Horses for courses...

He,he,he ...Classical & a little Jazz & Singer / Songwriter music is pretty much all I listen to through the NH !

The NH are pretty much very different sounding for this music when using some type of "breatheable" earpads listening to this music . Imaging & detail retrieval are much better due to the fact the sound is balanced enough to hear the dynamics of the sound the leather pads were'nt able to present (Yeah, the stock pads work fine for other types of music, but wider dynamics isn't the same animal )

Try putting Leather earpads on an HD700 & see how much imaging & detail for this music sounds then !

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,512 of 10,196

He,he,he ...Classical & a little Jazz & Singer / Songwriter music is pretty much all I listen to through the NH !

Oh, well, in that case, you need to audition the HD-650 - the best Jazz singer 'phones in the world. Seriously.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,513 of 10,196

He,he,he ...Classical

Oh, well, in that case, you need to audition the HD-650 - the best Jazz singer 'phones in the world. Seriously.
z

Thanks,but no thanks !

I'm not sure how seriously you believe in my estimation of how good I think the NH is (w/ Audeze Leather Free earpads on them) but I already like them way better for Classical Music than I ever did my Sennheiser HD800 (I'm going to try to see if I can get Senn.to refund the price difference I think the NH work better for me with Classical Music;; The problem is I'd have to charge them an extra fee for being a Musicallity lacking, soulless Audiphile headphone) & yes I know I'm not as well balanced as my NH are now ,

For as much as I listen to Classical Music having the World's best Jazz Singer "can" doesn't float my boat all that much. I may have two dozen Jazz Singer recordings at best. Maybe the same amount Singer/Songwriter & several hundred Classical recordings (& I still guess wrong on Shostakovich & Prokofiev pieces)

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #2,514 of 10,196
Received my Nighthawks today!

Straight of the box I thought, "uh oh, what have I bought"?! Having read many reviews that say they need a fairly hefty burn in, I was semi prepared for this.

Even with just a couple of hours through them though, I'm growing to like them more & more. There's the odd track that still doesn't sound quite right to me but I'm hoping that wil change.

The HD700's sound pretty anemic now in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I love the HD700's & if I could justify keeping both I would. As it stands though, I'm erring on keeping the Nighthawks.

Just one thing though, because they're so easy to drive, I'm finding that the Mojo is pushing the bass to be slightly overpowering - is this something that calms down or is it a pairing issue?

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2,515 of 10,196

Straight of the box I thought, "uh oh, what have I bought"?! Having read many reviews that say they need a fairly hefty burn in, I was semi prepared for this.

Even with just a couple of hours through them though, I'm growing to like them more & more. There's the odd track that still doesn't sound quite right to me but I'm hoping that wil change.

The HD700's sound pretty anemic now in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I love the HD700's & if I could justify keeping both I would. As it stands though, I'm erring on keeping the Nighthawks.

Just one thing though, because they're so easy to drive, I'm finding that the Mojo is pushing the bass to be slightly overpowering - is this something that calms down or is it a pairing issue?

It's a (mental) burn-in issue. Even compared to Stereo Systems the NH have quite a lot of upper/mid bass. So it takes awhile to get used to hearing parts of your music that you're not used to hearing.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #2,516 of 10,196
It's a (mental) burn-in issue. Even compared to Stereo Systems the NH have quite a lot of upper/mid bass. So it takes awhile to get used to hearing parts of your music that you're not used to hearing.

Good points, thanks

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #2,517 of 10,196

The Nighthawk's are bassy and the Mojo is also sort of bassy. I think the pairing may not be ideal. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #2,519 of 10,196

It calms down alot. With Mojo and NH I feel like bass is perfect and some tracks need more bass even and I'm not a bass head either.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,520 of 10,196

The NH are only bassy due to the voicing the stock leather earpads give them. The "bassiness" doesn't have to remain a permanent characteristic if this type of response doesn't work for the music that you normally listen to. It's pretty easily changeable by changing the stock earpads to a Velour type earpad.

If you go back to earlier pages in this thread you'll come across postings from persons who discovered that the tonal balance of the NH can sound much more balanced once they switched to different earpads . I'm kind of surprised that Velour pads are'nt being included along with the leather pads inside the NH packaging ! Changing them really couldn't be easier (Unless you decide to retrofit the Audeze pads like I did , then it's not as straightforward )

Yeah, don't be too concerned about sound characteristics that may bother you about these headphones now (Or too impatient about this). The sound will change the more playtime/"burn in" time you put on them. The "150 hrs" that Audioquest suggest isn't too far off, but you'll start hear some changes before that. If you have a way to attach them to a music playing source that you can put on auto play for a few hrs everyday when your not actually listening to them. The "burn hrs" go by pretty quick !

As the song a few years ago went "Don't Worry..... Be Happy"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back