AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 22, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #2,027 of 10,194
Don't do it Wayne!

You know I'm gonna do it... at some point anyway! I enjoy warmer signatures, and I'm quite convinced that I would love the NH's.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #2,028 of 10,194
I think I have found the perfect IEM companion to the NightHawk with the AK / Beyerdynamic T8ie, this little gem with Tesla powered dynamic drivers have are warm sound with detailed but smooth treble, liquid mids and very detailed and textured bass. Like the NightHawk, very musical and hard to put down!

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #2,030 of 10,194
  Seems like my nicer cable on my Nighthawks is going bad, I'm getting dropouts on the left side on it if I move my head around and sometimes randomly.

Same happened to me. The jack itself was incredibly loose, like a gentle pressure made it pop sideways. Sent an email to AQ and they gave me a form to fill out to have it RMA'd. I keep forgetting because, honestly, the "mobile" cable doesn't sound worse enough that I notice. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,031 of 10,194
Same happened to me. The jack itself was incredibly loose, like a gentle pressure made it pop sideways. Sent an email to AQ and they gave me a form to fill out to have it RMA'd. I keep forgetting because, honestly, the "mobile" cable doesn't sound worse enough that I notice. 

Ah I see. My jack isn't loose though. I guess I need to do the same. I found the two cables sound a little different, rather subtle difference. I found the mobile cable slightly smoother yet not as resolving. The thicker one more resolving and revealing, the resistance is likely lower as I pick up more tube noise from it. Never spent much time on the mobile cable though, who knows I may like it better on my system, but do need to get the thicker cable replaced.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,032 of 10,194
Yea, I had to get my cable replaced, too. The problem was in the 1/8" stereo jack. Had to hold it a certain way to get sound out of both sides. RMA replacement came quick.

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #2,033 of 10,194
I still haven't sent mine in haha. I keep throwing them on and just forget I need anything fixed!

I swear it's like wearing a concert on my head. Big crunchy rock and metal comes through like gangbusters.

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #2,034 of 10,194
Yea, I had to get my cable replaced, too. The problem was in the 1/8" stereo jack. Had to hold it a certain way to get sound out of both sides. RMA replacement came quick.

Does anyone else find it funny that the expensive cable company has issues with their cables on their first headphone release?

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #2,035 of 10,194
Does anyone else find it funny that the expensive cable company has issues with their cables on their first headphone release?

I absolutely noticed the irony. XD

Also the irony in that the famous cable company put two cables in and I can barely hear a difference between them despite one being hi-fi or whatever.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #2,036 of 10,194
Well, I got a chance to finally listen to these headphones at a local meet over the weekend and came away impressed enough that I think I might have to overcome my aversion to AudioQuest (heh) and just plunk down for them eventually. Very natural tonality that IMO was on virtually the same level as the Senn HD600, which made it great with classical music, but it also sounded good with some electronica, rock, and metal that I was able to try too.

The big plus for me was that it sounded great out of my HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, so I'm not as compelled to get another amp, like I would be if I wanted to keep the HD600 instead....

Oh and I didn't think the Nighthawk was too bassy either. Actually it was more like just the right amount of bass.

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #2,037 of 10,194
I had problems with the "audiophile cable" too and at first I thought I'd try to get it replaced but instead I modified it for balanced drive with my Pono. Of course I didn't get the special termination from Audioquest but how well did that really turn out anyway? :) I find that driving the Nghthawks balanced makes the instrument separation a little better but I don't know if I could detect the diference in a blind test. What I do know is that it's even harder to stop listening now. :)

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #2,038 of 10,194
  Well, I got a chance to finally listen to these headphones at a local meet over the weekend and came away impressed enough that I think I might have to overcome my aversion to AudioQuest (heh) and just plunk down for them eventually. Very natural tonality that IMO was on virtually the same level as the Senn HD600, which made it great with classical music, but it also sounded good with some electronica, rock, and metal that I was able to try too.

The big plus for me was that it sounded great out of my HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, so I'm not as compelled to get another amp, like I would be if I wanted to keep the HD600 instead....

Oh and I didn't think the Nighthawk was too bassy either. Actually it was more like just the right amount of bass.

Glad to hear you liked them with an audition at a meet. I'd say that means you'll really love them when you get to spend a longer amount of time with them.

Did you happen to get to hear a Chord Mojo at the meet?

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #2,039 of 10,194

I absolutely noticed the irony. XD

Also the irony in that the famous cable company put two cables in and I can barely hear a difference between them despite one being hi-fi or whatever.

I haven't had problems with the stock cable but I did end up snagging a used Moon Audio Blue Dragon, I like it quite a bit more than the stock cable.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #2,040 of 10,194
Ummm. I had big time problems with the stock cable, posted a pic earlier in this thread, but i bought 7 3rd party cables and I'm not thinking about it now. 

Still...............a cable company, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back