AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 20, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #1,996 of 10,196
 I render the files internally using Logic X. There's no need for volume matching because the same file plays over and over again, and I switch out different DACs after each play.  The duration is always the same because I loop a section. 

Once the file is rendered, you invert phase on one of the tracks and when you play it back, any differences between the two files will be heard. If there's no difference, there's total silence. That's null testing. 
I use my ears......:wink:

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,997 of 10,196
  I use my ears......
wink.gif

Well, that's actually what null testing does because you hear whatever differences are between the two files-if there are no differences nothing is heard.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #1,998 of 10,196
Rambling on and on... Nothing sounds like real instruments and real human voices unless you are hearing it live like you just spoke to your co-worker at work today. Not even a $300,000 system would do that, might as well go with a system that gives most musicality and euphoria to sound. And Nighthawks are it.
If you think that you need to hear more gear. Also you might think the Nighthawks sound the way you discribe but I don't.

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #1,999 of 10,196
  If you think that you need to hear more gear. Also you might think the Nighthawks sound the way you discribe but I don't.

Pardon me if you already told us, but what amp(s) are you listening on?

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #2,000 of 10,196
The voices all have that Nighthawk colouration and it ruins it for me. If it works for you then great. Just because a headphone isn't open doesn't mean it can give off a sense of space. I feel the pads do them no favours here either. Theres a congestion to the sound that is a combination of things that prevents these from sounding natural and quite suffocating.

I got in the Nighthawks and Dragonfly v1.2 a few weeks ago, and congestion is exactly how I'd describe vocals with the stock pads.

Swapping them out for a set of Brainwavz velour pads fixed that in a jiffy, revealing a wonderfully clean sound with a much better sense of space.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #2,001 of 10,196
Yeah the problem isn't actually the drivers themselves, the bioc drivers are actually one of my favs at producing bass. The problem with the Nighthawk is the housing and the pads. The velour pads actually worked well for me but it also exposed the rough response which is also something bioc drivers carry. Skylar found using a protein leather that acts as a kind of sealant to create enough verb, seal the air so to speak and have it flow via the grill just enough to prevent it from fully escaping so the rough response wasn't detectable unless your ears are very well trained/experienced.

Personally I've been around headphones for a long time and I can hear passed some of it but it's very well disguised. I think Skylars goals came with trade offs. I also don't think the dragonfly is a good match even though it's audioquest, unless you use the velour pads. 

Honestly I've used them with everything from Schiit to Eddie Current. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,002 of 10,196
IMO only the DAC inside the DragonFly (1.2) is okay, the amp is so-so. But always better than nothing. 
confused_face.gif

Which „rough response“ are we talking about? 
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,005 of 10,196
  Yeah the problem isn't actually the drivers themselves, the bioc drivers are actually one of my favs at producing bass. The problem with the Nighthawk is the housing and the pads. The velour pads actually worked well for me but it also exposed the rough response which is also something bioc drivers carry. Skylar found using a protein leather that acts as a kind of sealant to create enough verb, seal the air so to speak and have it flow via the grill just enough to prevent it from fully escaping so the rough response wasn't detectable unless your ears are very well trained/experienced.

Can you provide some evidence to backup this claim?

The design of the Nighthawk driver is specifically to address the strong distortion issues presented by mylar drivers without rubber surrounds. Mylar drivers are prone to break-up across the driver surface, resulting in non-linear movement, distortion and therefore "rough response". What reasoning are you suggesting creates "rough response" in the bioc drivers?

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,007 of 10,196
If your ears are not trained to hear the roughness then I can't really help you(I don't mean that in a condescending way but it seems it on text! What I mean is some hear differences, some don't) I refer you to look at frequencie graphs and other forms of data on the NH and other Bio drivers.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #2,009 of 10,196
Guys do the Nighthawks improve/change alot with burn/break in?

Yes, absurdly so. I've got a few other pairs of headphones I keep around to reference back to and the Nighthawks keep getting better and better with use. They also sound absolutely terrible at first, so be patient with them. Most of the issues brought up on this thread such as the roughness of the treble, bloated mid-bass, un-engaging mids, I will admit to having heard on my pair....for the first 2 or so weeks. I'm now on week 3 of owning them and find them entirely worthy of the somewhat excessive, circle-jerk-esque praise they seem to be getting from some members on this thread.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #2,010 of 10,196
If your ears are not trained to hear the roughness then I can't really help you(I don't mean that in a condescending way but it seems it on text! What I mean is some hear differences, some don't) I refer you to look at frequencie graphs and other forms of data on the NH and other Bio drivers.

My ears are good enough to pass the Phillips Golden Ears test which proves I can hear subtle variations and issues within sound.

There is no such thing as a truly flat driver response so every FR graph shows roughness whether it's a balanced armature, planar dynamic, electrostatic, mylar dynamic or bio dynamic. So what exact roughness are you referring to that's inherent to bio drivers and not mylar drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back