AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 17, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,891 of 10,194
The more I listen to the NightHawk the more it grows on me, and it's not even fully burnt in...AudioQuest has built something special here :)
I have grown an appreciation for the NH treble too, it's more detailed and has more sparkle than people who report not liking it give it credit for.

Also, NH give a great sense of rythm, and that's not only from the bass.
I like decay, it lingers just enough to provide depth but NH are fast enough too. A nice balance here.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,892 of 10,194
Thanks to this forum and this topic in particular I decided to give the NH a second chance. I managed to get a nice used pair (as good as new) and enjoy them very much this time around.

In the beginning I couldn't help myself to EQ the sound (less bass; more highs) but every half hour that passed I felt the need to EQ the NH slightly back till the EQ is dead flat again!!!

It takes me maybe 10 minutes now to adjust to the sound every time I use the NH.

Maybe it's just me but I like the provided thinner cable for best SQ in my system (too bad it's somewhat microphonic). It's MBP - optical out - Chord Mojo - AQ Nighthawk.
With the thicker cable I hear too much "reflections/echo" in he earcups (I have no better term to discribe what I'm hearing). With the thinner cable I also have no problem anymore with the portrayal of classical guitar. Happy camper now with the Nighthawks! 

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,894 of 10,194
Great listen with the Nighthawks: Winter songs - Terje Isungset

Nice deep bass and crystal clear highs, or should I say ice clear highs :)

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,896 of 10,194
That Winter Songs is mental, lol

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,897 of 10,194
I'm skeptical what a closed back version would really sound like given what emphasis was placed on the 3D printed rear grill on these. I mean we're not talking something like the HD650 where it's basically full open with a little mesh on the back just to keep stuff from poking the driver, that thing is specifically engineered for diffusion. They'd have to scrap that completely and rebuild from the ground up.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #1,898 of 10,194
  I'm skeptical what a closed back version would really sound like given what emphasis was placed on the 3D printed rear grill on these. I mean we're not talking something like the HD650 where it's basically full open with a little mesh on the back just to keep stuff from poking the driver, that thing is specifically engineered for diffusion. They'd have to scrap that completely and rebuild from the ground up.

Knowing Skylar's approach (based on what's written on the NH page and also a brief chat with him) I would say that there will be plenty of alternate technologies employed to ensure that the resulting damping is just as good in a closed version.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #1,899 of 10,194
I'd personally rather they work on an open back version. The NH is close enough to a sealed headphone as it is. Open would give people like myself who prefer an open sound, more realistic vocals etc a chance to hear what he can do. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #1,900 of 10,194
  I'd personally rather they work on an open back version. The NH is close enough to a sealed headphone as it is. Open would give people like myself who prefer an open sound, more realistic vocals etc a chance to hear what he can do. 

+1 here, although I am pretty happy with NH as it is :)

Right now I'll keep an eye on their IEM project!

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #1,902 of 10,194
I think that speaks volume about the NH itself that some say it's open enough and want a closed version and others say it's closed enough and want an open.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #1,904 of 10,194
Perhaps they're working on a closed version, not because the NightHawk sounds very open to us, but sounds very open to everyone who sits near us.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #1,905 of 10,194
^ Solid point. I wear these at work and although they're a lot quieter than most open headphones they still do let out a decent bit of noise. That's one reason I'd be curious about an IEM. The ability to have NH sound totally isolated so I can boost the volume? Hooooo boy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back