AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #1,127 of 10,194
I personally don't quite get how a huge bass hump and recessed uppers can bring emotion. I don't get no emotion from the NH, just boom boom. Emotion comes from the voice, the tone of the music. The LCD-2 too thick? It's a straight line up until the upper mids where is gently rolls off. It's literally dead straight. Mids are natural. I don't know how the hell you can call the LCD-2 too thick but the giant bass hump nighthawk isn't? Your ears scare me 0-0

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #1,128 of 10,194
I personally don't quite get how a huge bass hump and recessed uppers can bring emotion. I don't get no emotion from the NH, just boom boom. Emotion comes from the voice, the tone of the music. The LCD-2 too thick? It's a straight line up until the upper mids where is gently rolls off. It's literally dead straight. Mids are natural. I don't know how the hell you can call the LCD-2 too thick but the giant bass hump nighthawk isn't? Your ears scare me 0-0

Yes, the tone of the NH is the best I heard imo. I don't care for mid bass hump, I'm not a detail freak so it dosent bother me as far as details go(although all still there just micro details not pronounced) and the low bass extension and articulation is still there. Vocals are present as ever to my ears. It's just that un-needed details in is not as pronounced. (I mean who wants to hear to the last detail of a vocal mic-spit?) vocals on NH are not blurred, atleast to an extent not anyone should be worried about. It's just all smooth and music goodness.

I question the source where they measured the NH and to what standards.(I am guessing you are going by measurements) There is no mid bass hump on NH just by the ears.

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #1,130 of 10,194
I wouldn't bother, I know eventually you will try anyway since it sounds like you have the itch but dont say I didnt warn you!, this coming from first hand experience.
biggrin.gif

maybe i am gonna stay with my lovely little dac then
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #1,131 of 10,194
hachiko here are innerfidelity measurements of the NH and audeze

NH - http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf

LCD 2 - http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2.pdf

as you can see lcd 2 has upper mids that seat one step back similar to the NH, and the bass of NH is flat from 10 hz to 300 hz

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #1,132 of 10,194

as you can see lcd 2 has upper mids that seat one step back similar to the NH, and the bass of NH is flat from 10 hz to 300 hz

With all due respect, frequency graphs are more for fun than facts. Because hearing is believing. And there can be a quiet huge different from both headphones with almost similar graphs :D.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #1,133 of 10,194
The Chord Dacs are a rip off I think anyone who pays that much for a Hugo is pretty crazy.

I had a Hugo for a good few months on a loan and had the hands to buy it at a discount price. I turned it down as it was too lean, analytical and the SQ was lacking.

The Valhalla 2 is ok but my Project Ember destroys it in every way. The Beats Solo 2 are quite surprising I think. What I also like about them is they also see through the Audeze BS of never fixing their problems. Headfi has blinded a lot of people. I like it because it has a good classifieds and Jude always has to try get the information first so I tend to keep an eye out. I wish people could be more honest on headfi.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #1,134 of 10,194

Ito appears it does yes. I think it's harder to pin point due to the hump. That NH graph actually looks a bit better than than LCD-2 graph. I've seen better examples of the LCD-2 graph and worse examples of the NH graph. I slightly prefer Marves measurements as they tend to reflect what I hear a little better but I like Tylls a lot too.

The problem with Audeze is they vary a lot between individual phones.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,135 of 10,194
Got my pair yesterday.

Pink noising them at the moment. I don't want to listen to them for at least a week, but because they're in my office at home and I'm probably going to have to work the weekend, I might cave...

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,136 of 10,194

Those guys don't fall for the hype like most of headfi. Most serious listeners are on forums like that as to be honest, they are upfront and honest. The Chord Dacs are a rip off I think anyone who pays that much for a Hugo is pretty crazy.

I had a Hugo for a good few months on a loan and had the hands to buy it at a discount price. I turned it down as it was too lean, analytical and the SQ was lacking.

The Valhalla 2 is ok but my Project Ember destroys it in every way. The Beats Solo 2 are quite surprising I think. What I also like about them is they also see through the Audeze BS of never fixing their problems. Headfi has blinded a lot of people. I like it because it has a good classifieds and Jude always has to try get the information first so I tend to keep an eye out. I wish people could be more honest on headfi.

Agree with everything here, never got into the Hugo and my Project Ember is a very special amp. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,139 of 10,194
Nov 27, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,140 of 10,194
Various tubes mainly 12AU7 Mullard. Has more detailed, clean mids than other tubes. The Ember seems to tighten the bass up for me. The Ember can be very lush so it does depend on the tube I suppose. I personally find the high power of the Ember helps the Nighthawks bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back