AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #241 of 10,196
  I have never seen such a divide between fans and critics of this headphone. I'd love to hear one someday!

I honestly feel like we're not listening to the same headphones. :p I've heard two people in real life rave about the NightHawks, too, saying they're the best headphones ever. Meanwhile, the low end of lot of tracks I listen to is like if someone hit all the piano keys on the bottom half of the keyboard at once and held it, it's so muddy. It's very strange. I wonder if it's genre-related, like the people who love it most are listening to only genera where it shines.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #242 of 10,196

I honestly feel like we're not listening to the same headphones. :p I've heard two people in real life rave about the NightHawks, too, saying they're the best headphones ever. Meanwhile, the low end of lot of tracks I listen to is like if someone hit all the piano keys on the bottom half of the keyboard at once and held it, it's so muddy. It's very strange. I wonder if it's genre-related, like the people who love it most are listening to only genera where it shines.

I listen to basically everything, so honestly it's not genre related. Honestly if a headphone doesn't meet my diverse tastes I likely won't like it much in the long run. I'm not sure why some find it muddy and others don't. Could be gear, but I find it clear and articulate on everything I tried them on, though lesser gear it does sound thinner but everything sounds thinner and less fleshed out on lesser gear. I think different people perceive the sound of these differently for some reason.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #243 of 10,196

Perhaps more source-related than genre? I have been mostly using my iBasso P5 amp and .wav files from my source to drive them and I don't hear anything amiss with the low end, On the contrary, they present to my ears a very realistic and solid bass foundation to my music, most of which is classical and acoustic.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #245 of 10,196
And another review. Very good read. http://ultrafi.com/audioquest-nighthawk-2/

This is the store where I bought mine yesterday! The guy who wrote this is the owner of the store and he asked if I'd read his review. While I was there, another guy came in and bought a pair.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #246 of 10,196
I was also somewhat skeptical considering the wide diversity between those who posted impressions, but after listening to the Nighthawks almost continuously since they arrived, I can say that they could well be my headphone endgame. They are VERY addictive!

I'm starting to feel exactly the same way. I've been heavily into high-end headphones for about 25 years and have owned most of the top rated phones at one time or another. These are a totally new approach that just make me feel like ahhh! every time I listen. Only $600.00, amazing!

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #247 of 10,196

If you only listen to metal I wouldn't advise getting these. To be honest I find brighter headphones to be best for rock and metal so grado's would shine with those genres. The nighthawk is very revealing of your source and most rock and metal isn't very well recorded IME.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #248 of 10,196
If you only listen to metal I wouldn't advise getting these. To be honest I find brighter headphones to be best for rock and metal so grado's would shine with those genres. The nighthawk is very revealing of your source and most rock and metal isn't very well recorded IME.

I haven't tested much of my heavier music with the Nighthawks as yet but Isis and Tool sounded great out of mine so I'm not sure I'd agree.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #249 of 10,196

I listen to many genres; in fact, I have an excellent recording of Mahler's 1st symphony on the NightHawk right now. It sounds pretty good. I wonder if another issue is that I'm switching back and forth between headphones too often and not letting my ears fully adapt to the NH signature. Perhaps I should use it exclusively for a week or two and see what happens.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #250 of 10,196
I haven't tested much of my heavier music with the Nighthawks as yet but Isis and Tool sounded great out of mine so I'm not sure I'd agree.

With heavier metal they don't shine I will admit. Metallica still sounded good though. It's all about how much is going on the same time in the song. That is the main reason I done listen to metal or rock, with a lot of recordings it sounds as though all the instruments are trying to enter your ear canal at the same time and just get cluttered.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #251 of 10,196
I listen to many genres; in fact, I have an excellent recording of Mahler's 1st symphony on the NightHawk right now. It sounds pretty good. I wonder if another issue is that I'm switching back and forth between headphones too often and not letting my ears fully adapt to the NH signature. Perhaps I should use it exclusively for a week or two and see what happens.

I think you are correct with this theory. When switching between different headphones you are very quickly fatigued and at one point no headphone will sound good. The nighthawk needs to be adjusted to, and once your ears are adjusted to them I think you will absolutely love them!

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #252 of 10,196

I would suggest listening to them exclusively like you said. After a week or two of listening to them exclusively going back to other headphones should be an ear-opening experience. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #253 of 10,196
I think you are correct with this theory. When switching between different headphones you are very quickly fatigued and at one point no headphone will sound good. The nighthawk needs to be adjusted to, and once your ears are adjusted to them I think you will absolutely love them!

Exactly. Quick A-B comparing makes everything sound bad.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #254 of 10,196

Why is even the owners who like the NH have different opinions on these... someone says these are colored headphones so source isn't revealing and then we have someone else say it's very revealing of your sources etc... I'm picking these up next week so I'll just see it myself I guess... as long as these have charteristic of dragonfly which emphasizes vocals, I'll be fine.

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #255 of 10,196
Why is even the owners who like the NH have different opinions on these... someone says these are colored headphones so source isn't revealing and then we have someone else say it's very revealing of your sources etc... I'm picking these up next week so I'll just see it myself I guess... as long as these have charteristic of dragonfly which emphasizes vocals, I'll be fine.

I'm not sure that I would say that they particularly emphasis anything. They sound to me pretty much what I hear live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back