AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 24, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,085 of 10,196
Ok, let's not undo the progress that has just been made in getting this thread back on track..

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #1,089 of 10,196
The new Fostex massdrop deal seems like a good alternative to the NH at 399$

I agree and was very surprised to see that the price was so low! They look fantastic and if tuned right I think they could be a great hit. Wasn't a fan of the th600 because of the v shaped response, but it is still easy to tell that they are using a quality driver.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,091 of 10,196
Yeah should be interesting. Fpstex are usually V shaped like the Nighthawk so will be interesting to compare. The Fostex tend to be aggressive though.

Yes with the th600 I found myself having to take breaks because the treble was so piercing. I honestly don't find the nighthawk to be v shaped after burn in, but compared to my grados the upper mids definitely aren't emphasized. I think the make or break factor of this new fostex headphone for me will be the weight and thickness to the sound. After listening to the nighthawk every other headphone sounds lifeless and thin.

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #1,092 of 10,196
Yes with the th600 I found myself having to take breaks because the treble was so piercing. I honestly don't find the nighthawk to be v shaped after burn in, but compared to my grados the upper mids definitely aren't emphasized. I think the make or break factor of this new fostex headphone for me will be the weight and thickness to the sound. After listening to the nighthawk every other headphone sounds lifeless and thin.

Piercing treble on the TH600? That doesn't sound right...........mine are extremely smooth.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #1,093 of 10,196
I've never met anyone that would call the TH600 a smooth headphone. I'm actually genuinely worried about your hearing 0-0 My hearing test are about average I class it as normal and the TH600 kill my ears. They are very aggressive.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,094 of 10,196
I've never met anyone that would call the TH600 a smooth headphone. I'm actually genuinely worried about your hearing 0-0 My hearing test are about average I class it as normal and the TH600 kill my ears. They are very aggressive.

I have yet to hear anyone describe their treble as smooth either. Perhaps it is the amp, I was using a cayin c5 so probably not the best match, but reading through threads on them it seems like the consensus is that the treble is rather peaky. They are aggressive but sometimes that can be a good thing, and can bring a bit of excitement to your listening session.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,095 of 10,196
I will try to audition some NH's soon maybe after the Holidays.... damn you headphone sales just got Hifiman 400i's for $299. My wallet does not thank headfi ....

All kidding aside has anyone every considered that the NH headphones were tuned by someone who is more of a musician then an engineer?

If that is the case I can under stand the sound signature of the NH which would mean they would be more musically inclined then analytically inclined. As a long time musician I probably will enjoy their sound more then some of the other headphones I have heard. To get the detail levels high they often over exaggerate the highs and my ears after all the years of playing music are very sensitive to overly bright sound that can come off as harsh or slightly sibilant.

I would be willing to trade some detail for musicality in most situations. I mean don’t get me wrong there are times when you really want hyper analytical headphones and give you that sense of wow factor. But in long listening situations it becomes taxing and you begin to lose a sense of connection to the music because your brain is going nuts trying to psycho analyse music  all the time. Just my 2cents as a some what newbie to the highfi headphone world coming from the point of view as a musician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back