AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 9, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #6,301 of 10,196
  So, help me get this straight.

A HeadFi member purchases a new hp, perhaps a version of the NH, finds it to be better in many ways over his previous hp, but can't refer to this as an upgrade?

I'm not part of the HeadFi elite, so perhaps I need to read the rule book of what words can or cannot be used to describe a new hp.

confused_face_2.gif

Depends on the previous headphone that the member used. After a certain level of quality we can rather talk about 'sidegrades' than upgrades based on personal sound preference.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #6,302 of 10,196
  Depends on the previous headphone that the member used. After a certain level of quality we can rather talk about 'sidegrades' than upgrades based on personal sound preference.

OK, that seems fair...........'Sidegrades' it is!!! (sorry, better run this by EdwardPL)

Is 'sidegrades' a real word, betula???  
bigsmile_face.gif

edit:

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #6,304 of 10,196
Fellow Nighthawk lovers, I currently drive my NH with the Magni 2 Uber and a Dragonfly.

What do I upgrade first? Dac or Amp? And do you have any suggestions on what synergizes well with the NH? 

Will a Jotunheim (balanced) be a big enough jump in SQ over a Magni 2 Uber, or is it better to save up for something like a Feliks Elise?

My suspicion is that a stronger amp (current wise) will do more for the Nighthawk as it is only ~25 Ohm.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #6,305 of 10,196
  Fellow Nighthawk lovers, I currently drive my NH with the Magni 2 Uber and a Dragonfly.

What do I upgrade first? Dac or Amp? And do you have any suggestions on what synergizes well with the NH? 

Will a Jotunheim (balanced) be a big enough jump in SQ over a Magni 2 Uber, or is it better to save up for something like a Feliks Elise?

My suspicion is that a stronger amp (current wise) will do more for the Nighthawk as it is only ~25 Ohm.

IMO, the only reasonable upgrade past the DFR would be Jotunheim. The synergy is good with NH plus Jot. I don't see much "scale" past that amp with NH. Some prefer tube with NH, not me. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #6,306 of 10,196

IMO, the only reasonable upgrade past the DFR would be Jotunheim. The synergy is good with NH plus Jot. I don't see much "scale" past that amp with NH. Some prefer tube with NH, not me. 

I also think a solid state would be better for the Nighthawk. It doesn't really need a tube solution to do any more treble smoothing. My hope and belief is that the raw power provided by Jotunheim would make the bass even more controlled and tactile, and by extension make the treble and midrange be even better defined and more present. 

Jotun it is.

Which DAC would be a logical and meaningful step up from the Dragonfly?

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #6,307 of 10,196
  I also think a solid state would be better for the Nighthawk. It doesn't really need a tube solution to do any more treble smoothing. My hope and belief is that the raw power provided by Jotunheim would make the bass even more controlled and tactile, and by extension make the treble and midrange be even better defined and more present. 

Jotun it is.

Which DAC would be a logical and meaningful step up from the Dragonfly?

Depends on your budget. The add-in dac is pretty decent and would be an upgrade. But the logical solution to add to the Jot would be Modi MB. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #6,308 of 10,196
I got my protein leather pads today, ordered directly Audioquest's website, and they don't have the "L" & "R" printed on the inside fabric like my microsuede pads. Not a big deal, but just thought that was odd since they are advertised with the print inside 

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #6,310 of 10,196
I'm going to have to disagree with the Jot paring. It's fantastic for the bass definition and the impact you get paired with the Hawks but the Jot like the NH also has a rough treble and the paring just accentuates the NH's treble roughness.

You would have to hear it yourself to see if you like it but if you are a young person with good ears I would not recommend it personally.

I think the Vali 2 is a better match. It's not quite as resolving as the Jot, it's close though. It is one of the few amps from Schiit that has a smooth treble so it does pair better.

I find the Mojo to pair best with the NH out of everything I've tried. Slight digital grain on the Mojo but treble is smooth.

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #6,311 of 10,196
I got my protein leather pads today, ordered directly Audioquest's website, and they don't have the "L" & "R" printed on the inside fabric like my microsuede pads. Not a big deal, but just thought that was odd since they are advertised with the print inside 

Are you certain that they have not accidentally shipped a set of the Hybrid pads (ie the original NightHawk wood pads) rather than the new pads? It would be surprising if the new pads did not have L/R identification since the NighHawk Carbons do not include L/R markings on the ear cups, at least this was true for the prototype I tried at CanJam London 2016.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #6,314 of 10,196
Are you certain that they have not accidentally shipped a set of the Hybrid pads (ie the original NightHawk wood pads) rather than the new pads? It would be surprising if the new pads did not have L/R identification since the NighHawk Carbons do not include L/R markings on the ear cups, at least this was true for the prototype I tried at CanJam London 2016.

They are the Boost/Protein Leather Pads. I received a pair as well without the markings. According to AudioQuest the only difference is cosmetic. The Pads were in production prior to the Carbon/NightOwl.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #6,315 of 10,196
In my experience, a different amp does not change how an headphone sounds. Of course, a tube amp will sound different from a solid state amp, but comparing a tube amp to another tube amp or a solid state amp to another solid state amp, there's no really a difference. An hybrid amp (tube/solid state) or a solid state amp designed to have a tube-like sound, like the Polaris or the Graham Slee Ultra Linear may sound different from a tube-only or solid state amp, thought. I tried a Graham Slee Ultra Linear a few years ago, and the sound of my Grado GS1000i was smoother. more liquid than with the solid state amp I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back