AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #6,256 of 10,196

Just paste on the earcup and put the foam as it is before.Do not put any tape on the grill.
Have you noticed most of headphone have one hole in diffusing paper place on back of driver to help driver air flow.Just do a small hole on paper like fig-2.

Though it is claimed that nighthawk has no reflection from earcup;but measurment proved that it have echo/reflection from the cups;surgical tape is all in one solution but you can use acoustic foam as well to prevent reflection only.

Regarding suitable headphone;most headphone have somehow any design flaws .we can do slightly mod to improve its performance.Simply buying and getting a new one is not at all feasible for all.Nighthawk is great headphone after all with some flaws;just need a matter of 1$ investment to make it from good to great.

1) These pics are horrifying and should be marked nsfw. 2) What are these measurements that prove echo/reflections?

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #6,258 of 10,196
I will eventually try that mod. I don't really find the treble piercing as much as I hear it just rough. I can however imagine that extremely long term use can result in the user getting used to the bass and hearing the peaks more.

It's clever of AQ to hide the treble issues behind the bass but there's many experienced users that will pick it out!

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #6,259 of 10,196
Audioquest is not hiding any treble issues................one of the selling points is the smooth treble. The tuning was done years ago and could have easily radically changed it with NH Carbon, but there were so many fans of the tuning that they for them most part, stuck with it.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #6,260 of 10,196
Audioquest is not hiding any treble issues................one of the selling points is the smooth treble. The tuning was done years ago and could have easily radically changed it with NH Carbon, but there were so many fans of the tuning that they for them most part, stuck with it.

I don't think they are either. It's just quite a few people(you see more people talking about this in other headphone threads) actually find the hawks a bit fatiguing and the treble a bit harsh. I'm thinking it's just not agreeing some people's ears(ear canal shape, personal sensitivities, etc.) is all it comes down to. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #6,261 of 10,196

How do the Owls compare to the Hawks and the Yamaha HPH-MT220 ?

The more I read this thread the more confused I get.

BTW, I don't find the treble on the MT220 to be fatiguing at all like a few people have said - so what extra would I get from the Owls if I prefer closed cans? 

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #6,262 of 10,196

Run tone sweeps through the treble you will see how it goes up and down and is quite inconsistent.

Measurements also show the treble inconsistency and roughness. Every measurement I have seen from the NH has been consistent and on different rigs. It also shows the NH's great consistency between drivers however.

I do think the treble is the worst part of it sadly.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #6,264 of 10,196
Do any of the pads used for the NH and NO Carbons help this treble issue at all?

Someone would need to measure all of the pads on the same headphone. I can give my subjective take on the treble soon. NH treble never bothered me even when EQ'ing away the midbass which allegedly masks the issue. In fact, I happily increased the treble on the original NH in some places.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #6,265 of 10,196
The harsh, bright treble some hear using the NH is a bit of a surprise to me. My initial complaint, with the NH and OEM ( hybrid) pads was, to my ears, not enough extension in the treble range. The boost (Protein Leather) and microsuede pads added, IMO, more energy in the treble range that I was looking for without the tizz and brittle top end that I don't like.

We all obviously hear way different things with these hp, but I am now VERY content with my NH's!!!

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #6,266 of 10,196
I am also in the group of people who do not really understand, how someone can call the NH's treble harsh and bright. Sure, we all have different ears and hearing, but this much? I chose NH, because its treble is the most gentle treble I have heard so far in a headphone, and I feel I finally found a remedy for my treble sensitive ears. I am not questioning anyone's experience, just thought I add my opinion to the bigger picture.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #6,267 of 10,196
  I am also in the group of people who do not really understand, how someone can call the NH's treble harsh and bright. Sure, we all have different ears and hearing, but this much? I chose NH, because its treble is the most gentle treble I have heard so far in a headphone, and I feel I finally found a remedy for my treble sensitive ears. I am not questioning anyone's experience, just thought I add my opinion to the bigger picture.

Honestly it's something that really came to light as I spent more time with other high-end headphones. Sadly once I noticed it, it was always there. It's a bummer for me as I actually really like the bass, midrange, imaging, cleanness, and overall tuning of the NH but sadly the treble is it's Achilles heel for me as I'm very sensitive to treble and sadly the NH has the painful type of treble bite to me. I bought the Nighthawk due to my treble sensitive ears myself. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #6,268 of 10,196
  Honestly it's something that really came to light as I spent more time with other high-end headphones. Sadly once I noticed it, it was always there. It's a bummer for me as I actually really like the bass, midrange, imaging, cleanness, and overall tuning of the NH but sadly the treble is it's Achilles heel for me as I'm very sensitive to treble and sadly the NH has the painful type of treble bite to me. I bought the Nighthawk due to my treble sensitive ears myself. 

I noticed you were using a Garage 1217 Sunrise III amp. Have you experimented with different tubes to perhaps tame the treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back