AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 30, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #4,771 of 10,196
These are all great concerns. What I can tell you is that we strive to have the best customer service in the industry. I don't expect that the headpad elastic or the fixation point will wear out or fail. BUT, if they do, AQ will replace or repair. Even if your warranty is expired, we will help you out. To my knowledge, AQ has never turned down support for a customer with a failed product and an expired warranty...and that goes for products that are even 20 years old!

Regarding the cable, as others have said...it's fragile due to the use of large, solid conductors. Included with the product documentation is a letter from our owner/founder explaining why we included two cables. He basically pleads with the user to treat the solid core cable very carefully and use the backup cable for moments where rough activity is expected. What we have found is that some people are just really rough with headphone cables and others are really careful. And that's perfectly OK. It's just reality. 

The same customer support applies to the cable, of course, and all aspects of our headphones. If ever you have a problem, we will help you...whether it's during the "warranty" period or 5 years later or 20 years later. And because I'm active here, you also have a direct line of communication with me in case there's something that our support just cannot assist with.

All of this is to address your concerns and hopefully eliminate any apprehension you may have about owning AQ products.

Perhaps it would be good to ask those in this thread who have had an encounter with AQ support to share their experiences...good or bad. If anyone has had a bad experience, now is the opportunity for me to help you make it right! If you've had a good experience, we all want to know.
Hi Skylar. Just a quick one, the Boost pads; how to they compare to the stock pads for liquidity, vocal prominence and engagement? And do they still have he mid bass boost? Or would the boost pads flatten that area?

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #4,772 of 10,196

These are all great concerns. What I can tell you is that we strive to have the best customer service in the industry. I don't expect that the headpad elastic or the fixation point will wear out or fail. BUT, if they do, AQ will replace or repair. Even if your warranty is expired, we will help you out. To my knowledge, AQ has never turned down support for a customer with a failed product and an expired warranty...and that goes for products that are even 20 years old!

Regarding the cable, as others have said...it's fragile due to the use of large, solid conductors. Included with the product documentation is a letter from our owner/founder explaining why we included two cables. He basically pleads with the user to treat the solid core cable very carefully and use the backup cable for moments where rough activity is expected. What we have found is that some people are just really rough with headphone cables and others are really careful. And that's perfectly OK. It's just reality. 

The same customer support applies to the cable, of course, and all aspects of our headphones. If ever you have a problem, we will help you...whether it's during the "warranty" period or 5 years later or 20 years later. And because I'm active here, you also have a direct line of communication with me in case there's something that our support just cannot assist with.

All of this is to address your concerns and hopefully eliminate any apprehension you may have about owning AQ products.

Perhaps it would be good to ask those in this thread who have had an encounter with AQ support to share their experiences...good or bad. If anyone has had a bad experience, now is the opportunity for me to help you make it right! If you've had a good experience, we all want to know.

The AQ solid conductor Nighthawk cable is my favorite headphone cable to date in terms of how good it sounds, even for other headphones. I have little 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters to use it with Sony headphones and this also works on the Focal Elear's (now sold).  It may be a bit more fragile than other headphone cables but I've had no issues just treating it with a bit of care. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #4,773 of 10,196
The AQ solid conductor Nighthawk cable is my favorite headphone cable to date in terms of how good it sounds, even for other headphones. I have little 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters to use it with Sony headphones and this also works on the Focal Elear's (now sold).  It may be a bit more fragile than other headphone cables but I've had no issues just treating it with a bit of care. 
Did you like the Nighthawk more than the Elear?

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #4,774 of 10,196
Did you like the Nighthawk more than the Elear?

For most things, yes. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzBArLm7uB8

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #4,776 of 10,196

Thanks very much for your reply @SkylarGray! That makes me feel that I took the right decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #4,778 of 10,196
I just hope that if the night owl if it does cost $700 will be a upgrade and not a tweak to a ledgendary headphone.. I can't wait to get a pair.
Why would it be an upgrade? It's around the same price and I believe it's the same driver? An upgrade would like going from the HD598 to a 650 and 800. I think the Nightowl will just be a different take on the Hawks for those who want a fully closed back phone.

I'm personally not a fan of closed backs at all. One thing that worries me about the Owl is that the Hawks have an internal cup reverb, what's the Owl fling to be like here being fully closed?!

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #4,780 of 10,196
I've heard the Owl has more upper mids. This is a good think IF it's done right. So far the only headphone I've heard that does upper mids right is the HD650. I much prefer a dip in that area like the NH then it being messed up as at worse case, they will just sound a tad muted but I think on it's own the NH handles female fine.

What I'm confident in is the Owl will be from a good pedigree. The NH has one of the most resolving, extended at both ends and technically brilliant drivers I've heard.

An example is look at the PM-1 then compare their resolution and micro detail, distortion to the NH, it's no contest. People can say what they want about the elevated mid bass, the drivers Skylar has made are as good as any headphone on the market. I woke sxtusllg sale everything and just keep my 650. And Nighthawk and my HD800for video games.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #4,781 of 10,196

I haven't had much need of AQ support (which is a good thing) but I did contact them to try to purchase some extra pad snap rings and was told they were "integral" and only available with a $50 pad purchase. There really doesn't seem much integration as they just slide in and out, and it would be helpful to have a few extras for pad rolling purposes. Thanks for listening.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #4,782 of 10,196
Why would it be an upgrade? It's around the same price and I believe it's the same driver? An upgrade would like going from the HD598 to a 650 and 800. I think the Nightowl will just be a different take on the Hawks for those who want a fully closed back phone.

I'm personally not a fan of closed backs at all. One thing that worries me about the Owl is that the Hawks have an internal cup reverb, what's the Owl fling to be like here being fully closed?!

The Owl has a small opening around the circumference of the cup, allowing the driver to move freely.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #4,783 of 10,196
The Owl has a small opening around the circumference of the cup, allowing the driver to move freely.
It's not about the driver the internal cup reverb in the Nighthawks is caused by the cups. My brain managed to filter this out after a while but after long periods of not listening or listening or other phones then returning I have to readjust. I suppose at the very least maybe there's some materials added to the cups to stop this or Skylar simply intended it to be that way to make them sound more unique and theatre like. I'd love to hear his take.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4,784 of 10,196
It's not about the driver the internal cup reverb in the Nighthawks is caused by the cups. My brain managed to filter this out after a while but after long periods of not listening or listening or other phones then returning I have to readjust. I suppose at the very least maybe there's some materials added to the cups to stop this or Skylar simply intended it to be that way to make them sound more unique and theatre like. I'd love to hear his take.

That's right, and the Owl has a small, circular port that allows free flow of air to reduce resonance, reverb and affects on the driver.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #4,785 of 10,196
Hey all,
Long time lurker here. Just bought a pair of Nighthawk at a good price on Black Friday. Could not have been more pleased.

I wonder if any of you have tips on good stand to the headphones?
I have looked at Bluelounge Posto. Anyone know if Nighthawks fit that one? Other tips on a reliable headphone stand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back