AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Jul 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #421 of 957
No question these need 200+ hours of break in. There is no point in forming a meaningful opinion until they are completely broken in.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #423 of 957

No question these need 200+ hours of break in. There is no point in forming a meaningful opinion until they are completely broken in.

I agree. I've had my NightHawks playing away for the last 12 hours or so and have already noticed some changes - all for the better.

They need at least 100 hours for the mid range to come out and play.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #424 of 957

I agree. I've had my NightHawks playing away for the last 12 hours or so and have already noticed some changes - all for the better.

Some changes??  Another Oppo, lacking treble extension?  Looks like they are hoping future pads will fix that shortcoming!

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #425 of 957

Already getting hints of that. Had a listen early this morning and some of the midrange sounds actually had me thinking they were in the room with me! Dynamics in the mids seem to come on board first along with a more linear top end.

I noticed you have the Simaudio 430HA. I too am a Simaudio fan and have some of their Neo series. I'd be very interested in your opinion with the 430HA and NightHawks as I am mulling over buying one myself.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #426 of 957

Some changes??  Another Oppo, lacking treble extension?  Looks like they are hoping future pads will fix that shortcoming!

I wouldn't characterize the sound as lacking in extension. All of the top end detail is there - just not a particularly open, airy, in-your-face, hi-fi sort of presentation out of the box if you know what I mean? A different presentation to be sure. To me, it seems a very natural, easy to listen to for hours on end sound that is still changing. I'll reserve final judgement once they have a good 200 hours on them as longbowbbs mentioned. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #427 of 957

Already getting hints of that. Had a listen early this morning and some of the midrange sounds actually had me thinking they were in the room with me! Dynamics in the mids seem to come on board first along with a more linear top end.

I noticed you have the Simaudio 430HA. I too am a Simaudio fan and have some of their Neo series. I'd be very interested in your opinion with the 430HA and NightHawks as I am mulling over buying one myself.

Check the review in my sig....So far the Nighthawks are digging the Neo 430

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #428 of 957

Thank you for your review of the 430HA. I currently have the same DAC in my 280D stand alone unit and pair it with a 260T transport. Just about to order a new 340i for the two channel rig too.

I have heard rumours of a new headphone amp on the way later this year from Simaudio so have been hanging on to see what that will bring. It is supposed to be positioned below the 430HA and priced commensurately. However, I may have to just bite the bullet and order a 430HA - patience is not my forte.

I'm currently running the NightHawks on my Sennheiser HDVD 800 as it is the most neutral of my available amps and will give me a pretty good idea what they are capable of. Looking forward to more from you as you log more hours on your NightHawks.

Cheers.

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #429 of 957

Thank you for your review of the 430HA. I currently have the same DAC in my 280D stand alone unit and pair it with a 260T transport. Just about to order a new 340i for the two channel rig too.

I have heard rumours of a new headphone amp on the way later this year from Simaudio so have been hanging on to see what that will bring. It is supposed to be positioned below the 430HA and priced commensurately. However, I may have to just bite the bullet and order a 430HA - patience is not my forte.

I'm currently running the NightHawks on my Sennheiser HDVD 800 as it is the most neutral of my available amps and will give me a pretty good idea what they are capable of. Looking forward to more from you as you log more hours on your NightHawks.

Cheers.

beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #430 of 957
100-200 hours is such an exaggeration that really needs to be put to rest. Your ears will certainly get used to the sound but how long that takes depends on the person. Burn in has been true for some headphones, mainly a little bit of boom in the mid bass but it is a subtle difference.

The most helpful comments are those that have first got a headphone because it prevents bias opinions. Those who have negative or positive first impressions are the ones I trust.

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #431 of 957
100-200 hours is such an exaggeration that really needs to be put to rest. Your ears will certainly get used to the sound but how long that takes depends on the person. Burn in has been true for some headphones, mainly a little bit of boom in the mid bass but it is a subtle difference.

The most helpful comments are those that have first got a headphone because it prevents bias opinions. Those who have negative or positive first impressions are the ones I trust.

Suit yourself....YMMV

Jul 4, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #432 of 957
Those who have negative or positive first impressions are the ones I trust.

Oh, the ones who listen for 5 minutes at a noisy meet and pass judgement?

Jul 5, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #434 of 957
I'm selling my Nighthawk's, because unfortunately the semi open desgin doesn't work for me.
If you are interested in a new, mint condition pair of Nighthawk's at a great price you can check: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773542/new-audioquest-nighthawk

Greetings

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #435 of 957
hi everyone i am new to the brand of AudioQuest and because of the comfort of wearing, I got the NightHawk after listening for about 15 mins.
After left the shop, i felt a bit regret of what I had done cos I knew nothing about this headphones.

After back home, I did some researches about the Nighthawk and found the YouTube about the CES 2015 Skylar introducing the Nighthawk and of course found this thread. it seems that the Nighthawk is very interesting headphones and it is a product created by heart.

after two days listening experience using the thinner cable, the sound is not perfect (of course only few hours) but acceptable. I just realize that the thicker cable with aq on it is the only cable designed for nighthawk. So I will swap the cable and spend more time listening the difference.

Not having a long period burn in, one thing is quite true that the nighthawk can be listened for quite long period without fragile sounding or getting neck or head tired and even in love with what I am listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back