AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Jun 24, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #406 of 957
Part of the explanation lies in AxelCloris's very accurate answer of how manufacturers balance logistics with customer delivery/satisfaction.

Part of it has to do with the process of developing and delivering a completely new product type for the first time, especially if you want your first attempt to be received less as an attempt and more as an achievement.  (Remember all the hullaballoo surrounding Focal's initial batches of Spirit Ones?  And that's from a manufacturer with even greater resources than AudioQuest, and whose main product category - speakers - has a helluva lot more to do with headphones than cables, theoretically easing their entry into the category).

Part of it has to do with our hyper-consumerist confusion that an announcement means product readiness.  Not all companies are Apple, and not all sectors make mass consumer commodities on a scale of 10s of millions of units.  On the other end of the spectrum are artists/artisans who craft individual works as resources allow (and never have any formal announcement until they show up at the local fair).  AudioQuest falls somewhere in the middle (a lot closer to Apple, obviously, but still, the point stands).

Perhaps as consumers we have a right to demand seamless product pipelines, from concept through R&D through delivery all in no time flat.  "I WANT MY PRODUCT AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!"  Frankly, I'd rather keep waiting.  I have enough stuff to spend my money on, especially when it comes to products that have yet to prove themselves in the hands of actual users.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #407 of 957
I won a pair at the raffle that was held at the Cambridge Head-fi meet :cool: . I was told I would get a pair as soon as they went into production. I did get an opportunity to listen to the demo pair and I was well impressed. I was just dissapointed they didnt let me have the demo pair :D  

Congrats on being the first raffle winner at the meet :) The original plan was to put the demo Nighthawk into the raffle but unfortunately it was damaged before the meet (only cosmetically). Still, getting a brand new one is very cool :)

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #408 of 957
Congrats on being the first raffle winner at the meet :) The original plan was to put the demo Nighthawk into the raffle but unfortunately it was damaged before the meet (only cosmetically). Still, getting a brand new one is very cool :)

Thank you. I have never won anything in my life so that was pretty awesome. I don't mind the wait as I can't really complain about getting a freebie. Still, the hope is I get them soon and I get to retire my HD650's for good :)

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #410 of 957
  Perhaps as consumers we have a right to demand seamless product pipelines, from concept through R&D through delivery all in no time flat.  "I WANT MY PRODUCT AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!"  Frankly, I'd rather keep waiting.  I have enough stuff to spend my money on, especially when it comes to products that have yet to prove themselves in the hands of actual users.

Fine and dandy. But the magazine ads and such should start no earlier than a month before release.

From Facebook,

Can you guess what just landed at AudioQuest headquarters in Irvine, California? 

Yum! They have arrived!

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #413 of 957
  I tried these this weekend at a meet in Atlanta. Not for me at all. Very dark, warm and bloomy. It's a pass for me. 

Hmm, I usually like and agree with your comments, so probably not for me either (no way for me to audition these). I'll pass as well.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #414 of 957
  I tried these this weekend at a meet in Atlanta. Not for me at all. Very dark, warm and bloomy. It's a pass for me. 

Compared to a Denon D5000 what do you say?

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #416 of 957

Agreed. 

I spoke to Skylar at the 2015 T.H.E. Newport show and specifically brought up this same issue of the headphone sounding overly rolled-off in the treble.

He said that after 1-2 months after the NightHawk launches, there will be an alternate set of earpads that will be available that will boost the treble region.

I am curious to hear the NightHawks with the alternate pads because I really think they have a lot of potential, but as they are right now, they're just too roll-off sounding for me.

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #417 of 957
So how is the bass on these?  Basshead-worthy?

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #418 of 957
  NightHawk's damping is mechanically dominated, so electrical damping is not needed as much as with some other headphones. That said, the general guideline is: the source's output impedance should be 1/8th the headphone impedance. So I must officially recommend that NightHawk be paired with a headphone amp having an output impedance of 3 ohms or less.

I have done extensive testing and listening throughout the development process against sources with output impedances ranging from less than 1 ohm up to 30 ohms. Actually, the distortion measurements I posted earlier in this thread were made by driving NightHawk from a 30 ohm source—not particularly well-paired according to the 1/8th guideline. However, NH performs exceptionally even with high-Z sources. This is partially because the driver's impedance-vs-frequency characteristics were optimized to be quite linear.

Officially, I have to recommend ≤ 3 ohms source output impedance. Unofficially, one can use a source with much greater output impedance, and I would not expect any great deviation in performance if any.

Regular production begins next week.

With the final version now available, is it possible to get a spectral decay or waterfall graph?

I'm very interested in seeing how the rubber surround is affecting the decay.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #419 of 957
Enjoying the Burn In.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back