AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Jul 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #466 of 957
This is one headphone I really want to hear for myself.  Usually I read impressions and get an idea of what to expect, but this headphone really seems to be different than others being released, and a bit more "controversial", for lack of a better word.  That alone piques my interest.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #468 of 957
I heard a pair of Nighthawk's at the Newport show. Cute if you like the 400s the night hawk has more emphasised bass that surrounds the mids and highs. The tremble is more recessed but still there just in a more laid back manner. I kind of get what they are going for (it has some speaker tendencies) but it's just not my sound.

Skylar any chance you guys will expand the line with a more neutral headphones. Like others hear I really like the renewable manufacturing and would like to support your company, but this product isn't for me.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #469 of 957
I heard a pair of Nighthawk's at the Newport show. Cute if you like the 400s the night hawk has more emphasised bass that surrounds the mids and highs. The tremble is more recessed but still there just in a more laid back manner. I kind of get what they are going for (it has some speaker tendencies) but it's just not my sound.

Skylar any chance you guys will expand the line with a more neutral headphones. Like others hear I really like the renewable manufacturing and would like to support your company, but this product isn't for me.

Wasn't the Newport show the first week of June?

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #475 of 957

Well done Phil! I am looking forward to your further comments after you have used them for a bit. For myself, these headphones are the 'Ones'! They seem to play everything well and are a perfect partner for my high flying Light Harmonic Pulse X Infinity. They  have over 72 hours on them and so I expect very little  change now; I must try them with my Benchmark 1 USB DAC to see if they partner up as well.BTW, I loved the piece Like the Birds of the High Arctic...this Gray fellow has an excellent voice reminiscent of Elton John but from the South of the USA!
wink.gif

Leo

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #476 of 957
I can't believe the midrange timbre/accuracy and overall balance, Piano and acoustic guitar are lifelike. For a $600 headphone, this is truly amazing. And anyone who thinks they lack top end, you've obviously taken in too many Strapping Young Lad gigs sans earplugs.

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #477 of 957
  I can't believe the midrange timbre/accuracy and overall balance, Piano and acoustic guitar are lifelike. For a $600 headphone, this is truly amazing. And anyone who thinks they lack top end, you've obviously taken in too many Strapping Young Lad gigs sans earplugs.

I totally agree! The bass, the mids and the top end flow symmetrically together to form a gestalt. I find this headphone, the smoothest and most detailed among the many. It is very difficult to reproduce the full range of bass, but the Nighthawks come as close as any I have heard to date. Pianos, violins, flutes and many  other instruments that reach up into the altissimo register are also difficult to convert without glassy sharpness...well handled by this baby of Skylar Gray and AudioQuest.
Combine this with the luxurious comfort afforded the listener by the gimbel (did I spell that correctly) like suspension of the ear-cups, one can listen to the good stuff without fatigue for many hours. My health pretty much keeps me a shut-in, so guess what I do with my time?  LOL!  These are a godsend for me!
Hmmm! My spell check, which works everywhere else, has ceased to function here...all it says is  'paste' Strange!

Leo

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #478 of 957
Got to meet Skyler and tslk to him at length at work. Heard them, bought them on the spot. Dangerous to work somewhere where we have stuff in stock..... sony Zx2 ?

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #480 of 957

I totally agree! The bass, the mids and the top end flow symmetrically together to form a gestalt. I find this headphone, the smoothest and most detailed among the many. It is very difficult to reproduce the full range of bass, but the Nighthawks come as close as any I have heard to date. Pianos, violins, flutes and many  other instruments that reach up into the altissimo register are also difficult to convert without glassy sharpness...well handled by this baby of Skylar Gray and AudioQuest.
Combine this with the luxurious comfort afforded the listener by the gimbel (did I spell that correctly) like suspension of the ear-cups, one can listen to the good stuff without fatigue for many hours. My health pretty much keeps me a shut-in, so guess what I do with my time?  LOL!  These are a godsend for me!
Hmmm! My spell check, which works everywhere else, has ceased to function here...all it says is  'paste' Strange!

Leo

I'm finding too much boomy bass for my taste!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back