Audiophilleo 1 and 2 USB to S/PDIF transport
Jun 2, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #721 of 1,214
Quote:
I agree with you kLevkoff.

I have pop, click because I use laptop / wifi ... Even J-river with large buffer, playing trhough ram don't help at all.
I accept thoses glitch and they not happend too often. Even with better gear, it's computer ... will have glitch time to time ...

COmpared to vinyl with many glitch per second ... :wink: lol ...

Pops and clicks with computers generally should not happen. It may take some experimentation with buffer size, but I suspect either the Wifi or a computer that has a lot of background processes are a big part of the problem. The best computer for USB streaming purposes is one that runs just enough OS to play the files and that's it. This can be done either with a custom Linux build, or more easily with something like JPlay's hibernate/zero latency mode.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #722 of 1,214
In OS X or Windows, just create a separate user account dedicated to music playback. The new user account will be sans all the "stuff" (e.g. background processes like weather, growl, etc.) you typically load in your daily user account. Be sure to disable Wake on LAN, screen saver/sleeping, or other energy saving modes.  

If you can, swap out your boot drive for a  high performance SSD; it will help with starting and stopping, HD sleep mode (I use OWC 6G PRO), etc. 

In OS X there a little app called, Caffein that can be used to turn off all screen savers, auto sleep, etc. 
Quote:

Pops and clicks with computers generally should not happen. It may take some experimentation with buffer size, but I suspect either the Wifi or a computer that has a lot of background processes are a big part of the problem. The best computer for USB streaming purposes is one that runs just enough OS to play the files and that's it. This can be done either with a custom Linux build, or more easily with something like JPlay's hibernate/zero latency mode.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #723 of 1,214
Another thing that computers do is change the CPU clock speed every time a process decides it wants to do something. This is really bad for USB streaming.. unfortunately with a laptop turning that off so that the CPU is always at full speed probably means the cooling fan will stay on as well.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #724 of 1,214
Hello guys , I have an audiophilio 1 and I was wondering if anyone has heard the audiophilio1 with both the pure power and the aqvox?
I am trying to decide which one to buy and I would apreciate some insight .

Thanks

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #725 of 1,214
I haven't used the Aqvox, but I did use a Lab Brick with mine prior to getting PurePower. Lab Brick seemed to really help the dynamics and tone of Audiophilleo. Notes - attack/decay was more accurate and substantial. PurePower did all that plus, while giving a very black background and virtually eliminating any sense of digititis. 
Quote:
Hello guys , I have an audiophilio 1 and I was wondering if anyone has heard the audiophilio1 with both the pure power and the aqvox?
I am trying to decide which one to buy and I would apreciate some insight .
Thanks

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #726 of 1,214
X2. Ok, I'll raise that to X3, or more. It's a different animal with the Pure Power battery supply. 
Quote:
I haven't used the Aqvox, but I did use a Lab Brick with mine prior to getting PurePower. Lab Brick seemed to really help the dynamics and tone of Audiophilleo. Notes - attack/decay was more accurate and substantial. PurePower did all that plus, while giving a very black background and virtually eliminating any sense of digititis. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #727 of 1,214
I've had the PurePower upgrade for a few weeks now. With my Neko D100 MK2 the improvement over a Vaunix Brick was considerable especially with respect to realism, timbre, soundstage depth and layering. The improvement is very apparent when listening to headphones (Violectric V200 + Hifiman HE500) but even more so on the speaker setup.

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #728 of 1,214
Man, you all are really pumping me up to get the PurePower upgrade. I have dropped no small hints for it as a father's day gift hehe. I might have to list my Aqvox on the for sale forums.

I can't even my picture my rig sounding much better. I got a Woo Audio WA22 awhile back and finally having it really singing with the right tube combos for my preferences. Imagining PurePower picking it up yet another level over my Aqvox just sounds awesome.

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #729 of 1,214
^ Aqvox might still be useful - it provides an alternate ground to that of the computer, and if I understand the PurePower upgrade correctly it does not power the USB receiver, just the clock and SPDIF output.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #730 of 1,214
Thank u guys for all of your input!
Can the aqvox and pure power be used together?

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #731 of 1,214
Take a look at the AP Website block diagram for where the Aqvox provides power, the ARM CPU, and battery charging. Not sure that would be worth the Aqvox (unless you already have one). The benefit of the PP battery power supply is to isolate and power the critical clocks: http://audiophilleo.com/ppspecifications.aspx
Quote:
Thank u guys for all of your input!
Can the aqvox and pure power be used together?

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #732 of 1,214
Quote:
Take a look at the AP Website block diagram for where the Aqvox provides power, the ARM CPU, and battery charging. Not sure that would be worth the Aqvox (unless you already have one). The benefit of the PP battery power supply is to isolate and power the critical clocks: http://audiophilleo.com/ppspecifications.aspx

Very interesting - I never looked inside an AP2 before - would be interesting to see which ARM CPU they use - I wonder if the increased processing power compared to HiFace etc. is what allows the AP to perform so well.  I am very tempted to try one.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #733 of 1,214
I'll give you the answers I know....

First, any buffer adds to the overall latency since it takes time to fill the buffer. In something like a CD player, the data buffer CAN be filled very quickly, which minimizes latency (most drives can read at 10x or 20x until the buffer is filled if their software wants them to). I would suspect that most USB interface devices prefer to run their read clock at a more or less normal rate, in which case they would just delay playback a few seconds to load those few seconds of samples into the buffer. As you say, as long as the delay is fixed, it doesn't cause any problems with audio quality. Implementing a buffer in a USB interface device is slightly complicated; the Audiophilleo can do it because it's got a processor and system memory; simple devices with a USB receiver chip alone in them cannot; they're pretty much limited to requesting the data, one or two samples at a time, reclocking them, and sending them along. (I've heard rumors that the HiFace has a buffer of some sort, but that could be in the driver and not hardware... but I'm pretty sure most of the other little cheap ones do not. Remember, we're talking about a "hardware buffer" in the device itself here, and not a software one in the driver.)

I don't know specifically which USB modes can request a resend of missing data (I know the bulk mode used by USB data drives obviously can).  I suspect, whether the USB standard supports it or not, it's going to depend on the individual driver as to whether the feature is implemented. If the interface device doesn't have a buffer, then it isn't going to matter since they can't "wait" for the replacement data to arrive. The interface device basically has to have a big enough buffer that, if data is lost of delayed, it hasn't needed the missing data before it has arrived or been resent. Another thing to remember is that "buffers" in the computer aren't the same as buffers in the interface device itself. The buffer in the PC helps the player program by giving it a place to "queue up" samples as it plays them, therefore "having them waiting on the loading bay" waiting to be sent out. This will help eliminate problems where the player program is resource intensive and things are choking up because it gets bogged down (or the CPU gets busy, or the network is slow, or the HD is slow - this is "at the thread level"). That buffer, however, is still inside the O/S. It's not going to help if the USB port or driver itself gets bogged down; or if something in the O/S that's "downstream" of the buffer chokes up. (To fix that you would need some sort of super-fancy USB card with a built-in hardware buffer right at the output. There used to be serial cards like that, but I've never seen a USB one - although they MIGHT exist somewhere.)

In general, USB is pretty reliable in terms of data - but not so good in terms of timing. This also brings up another entirely different idea....

Asynch USB is better than the other modes because the timing is much better (since the interface requests data based on its clock). Now, assuming that your interface device had its own buffer and clock, that really wouldn't matter anymore at all! Since the interface device would be sending the data out of ITS buffer using ITS clock, it doesn't matter at all how the data got there, now does it? You could use bulk mode (which has crappy timing, but absolutely allows resend requests - it's the mode that USB hard drives usually use). You could even copy the entire file into the buffer, then play it from there (its been done). You don't need the benefits of asynch USB anymore because the source timing is now irrelevent. A USB DAC or interface that has a significant buffer doesn't have to be asynch, and it shouldn't matter at all if it is or not. Unfortunately, most DACs don't have buffers (usually because they prefer NOT to deal with delaying the audio, which might, for example, throw it out of synch with the video on your movie).

An audiophile DAC with a buffer could use ANY USB mode, and still be bit perfect ... as long as it's an audio-only DAC and not intended to be part of a home theater system... and a few seconds of latency don't matter; it would be an easy design (DIYers should take note of this !!!)

Jitter would be ONLY dependent on the quality of the clock used to clock data from the buffer (it doesn't matter what you use to fill the buffer at all, as long as the right data ends up there); put the buffer and a high-quality clock inside the DAC itself and the quality should be quite impressive.

Keith

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #734 of 1,214
^ Very interesting, I think I have seen a couple of DAC's that use internal hardware buffer, but this seems to be more common in the very expensive models.  Audiophilleo certainly seems to be ahead in terms of hardware and measured performance - I would certainly like to compare one to my modified Hiface with ultra short USB cable.  Only problem is I feel compelled to save for the full-blown purepower package rather than buying the standard AP2 and upgrading later.  Still would be interesting to compare a stock AP2 purely for a perspective of price/performance between the units.

You may be right in that the HiFace uses software buffer rather than hardware.  If one has a look at the PCB one may be able to notice the presence or absence of memory - or I could email HiFace to ask - but either way I'm sure the hardware is not nearly as powerful as the Audiophilleo and is several years old.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #735 of 1,214
Quote:
You may be right in that the HiFace uses software buffer rather than hardware.  If one has a look at the PCB one may be able to notice the presence or absence of memory - or I could email HiFace to ask - but either way I'm sure the hardware is not nearly as powerful as the Audiophilleo and is several years old.

Which Hiface are you referring to? This site has some internal pics of the Hiface Two:
http://musiq-audiophile.blogspot.com/2012/04/m2tech-hiface-two-english-version.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back