Audiophile quality hip-hop....
Feb 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #46 of 56

Quote:

Really? If your going to say I'm wrong then at least deliver a reason and/or reference album/artist. I know you don't know me but this isn't exactly an area I don't know a plethora about.

So then what your saying is the opposite, that MOST (being the key word) hip hop has excellent mastering? Please cite your source material because I would be happy to be convinced other wise. That why I'm in this thread.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #47 of 56

Quote:
What exactly is being asked? If you mean the quality of mastering and so forth it can vary. I wouldn't approach listening to music from that angle though. You stumble upon unbelievable **** and you then attempt to find the best quality audio available not the other way around. But here are a few albums that stand out to me as far as I can recall in terms of detail and enhanced quality when listening with headphones or an audiophile like audio system.

Fat Jon - Wave Motion (2002)

Panacea - 12 Step Program (2010)

The Strange Fruit Project - From Divine (2002)

Dday One - Heavy Migration (2008)

And I'd agree with Donuts being well recorded, but there are way worse recorded Dilla joints that I rather listen to. A lot of instrumental hip hop has a more enjoyable listening experience under audiophile conditions versus not. The gap in enjoyment is more noticeable than when listening Boot Camp Clik or whoever. Peace.

Well, if you read the post above you, you might have reconsidered your position earlier.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #48 of 56
What exactly are you defining as "quality mastering"? Hip hop producers spend an excessive amount of time mastering tracks. A majority of albums are released via optical disk or 12'' just like any other genre now. Not to mention as a majority of the production is handled through programs, the sound is often more refined than other genres. Any good producer samples vinyl. I just don't understand how a "majority of hip hop" could lack quality mastering versus another genre recorded recently. Of course there is poorly mastered and recorded hip hop, but no more than any other genre.

And I don't even really like this discussion to begin with... it's about the quality of the music not the quality of the recording.

CunninLynguists - Piece of Strange (2006)

Curren$y - Pilot Talk 2 (2010)

Digable Planets - Reachin' (1993)

Foreign Exchange - Connected (2004)

Pete Philly & Perquisite - Mind.State (2005)

Q4 - Sound Surroundings (2010?)

TM Juke - Maps From The Wilderness (2003)

It is worth mentioning that I am rather biased as hip hop is home base for me in terms of knowledge and enjoyment. As I was saying, I would recommend some instrumental based hip hop. 

BAHWEE, Dr. Who Dat?, Fat Jon, Nujabes, Hubert Daviz, Dela, Onra, there are tons.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #49 of 56

Quote:
And I don't even really like this discussion to begin with... it's about the quality of the music not the quality of the recording.

It is worth mentioning that I am rather biased as hip hop is home base for me in terms of knowledge and enjoyment. As I was saying, I would recommend some instrumental based hip hop. 

BAHWEE, Dr. Who Dat?, Fat Jon, Nujabes, Hubert Daviz, Dela, Onra, there are tons.

We can agree there. Thanks for the recommendations. I will be sure to check these out. Honestly with all of the underground and mainstream hip hop I have, I have never heard of a lot of these artists so I'm sure I'm in for a treat.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #50 of 56
not a huge People under the stairs fan but they did put up a vid on the production and quality of the last album they did.

and daddy kev not that long ago did a small show and tell on his mastering

RJD2 seems to be very dedicated to his craft as an audiophile is to his.

so in conclusion audiophile quality... idk.

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #52 of 56
I was never a big fan of Jay-Z until I listened to a FLAC of The Blueprint.  I had only heard him on the radio and after listening to that album it really changed my view of Jay-Z.  It was tight.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #53 of 56
How is "Life After Death" by The Notorious B.I.G.? I am planning on buying the album, but want to know if it sounds good (in terms of audio quality). I know it's a great album, but I am just curious if it SOUNDS good... 

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #56 of 56
Not sure if it's hip hop but Nelly Furtado's first album was a killer production. Killer I tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back