Audiophile quality hip-hop....
Aug 10, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #32 of 56
the SS is amazing on
buhloonemindstate.jpg

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #34 of 56

Quote:
If memory serves me right, Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow sounds sweet.

+1

also:

jurassic 5 feedback - great sound quality
lauryn hill- the miseducation of Lauryn Hill - pretty darn good
aesop rock - fast cars danger fire and knives

unfortunately most of the good hip hop doesnt get mixed well...  like all the other j5 albums..

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:
The Beastie Boys - The in sound from way out.
Be warned they play their own instruments and it's instrumental not really a hip hop album by a hip hop band.

I am a big fan of this album!

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #39 of 56
I really like the following albums, in no particular order.  They all have excellent production.  The first one I listed, Common Market, is areally fresh, thought provoking group that not many people know about.  The others are more widely appreciated and are some of my favorite hip hop albums to date!

Common Market - Common Market

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

The Roots - How I Got Over / The Tipping Point / Game Theory

Jurassic 5 - Power in Numbers

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool / Food & Liquor

Reflection Eternal - Revolutions Per Minute / Train of Thought

Oh, and of course Soulja Boy. 

JK, not funny.  Happy listening.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #41 of 56
Reasonable Doubt, Illmatic, Don't Sweat the Technique. Artists like Tupac and Biggie were well produced because they appealed to wider audience, and musical production became quite a big part of their work. Same can be said for Jay-Z and, to some extent, Nas. Look at the Fugees - they come with their own distinctive sound and style. I'm sure audiophile headphones would make Lauryn's voice sound REALLY great on tracks like "Killing Me Softly". Her debut solo album, The Miseducation, was very well produced. Also look at Wu-Tang - Rza's a genius - those Martial Art samples would COME TO LIFE with good headphones... Liquid Swords. I don't know why everyone looks at the Blueprint and the Black Album for being really well produced - I would go for Reasonable Doubt. Hip-Hop Is Dead has REALLY good production as well. There are some albums that won't be so affected by audio quality (Criminal Minded comes to mind). Also, look at some new producers like Kanye West. Dr. Dre's production is also very good. I would say that audiophile headphones help.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #42 of 56
IMO there are two kinds of well-produced hip hop albums:

the albums that have great fidelity, clarity, detail, etc.  
Jay-Z - Blueprint
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Tupac - All eyes on Me
The D.O.C. - No one can do it Better
The Fugees
and some of Kanye's albums (though i don't like the way they are mastered typically)

and hip hop albums that have grimey, murky production values that somehow add to the overall listening experience because they totally capture the vibe of the artist and the work.  I wouldn't want to hear hi-fi versions of
Nas - Illmatic
Raekwon - Only built for Cuban Linx
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #43 of 56
What exactly is being asked? If you mean the quality of mastering and so forth it can vary. I wouldn't approach listening to music from that angle though. You stumble upon unbelievable **** and you then attempt to find the best quality audio available not the other way around. But here are a few albums that stand out to me as far as I can recall in terms of detail and enhanced quality when listening with headphones or an audiophile like audio system.

Fat Jon - Wave Motion (2002)

Panacea - 12 Step Program (2010)

The Strange Fruit Project - From Divine (2002)

Dday One - Heavy Migration (2008)

And I'd agree with Donuts being well recorded, but there are way worse recorded Dilla joints that I rather listen to. A lot of instrumental hip hop has a more enjoyable listening experience under audiophile conditions versus not. The gap in enjoyment is more noticeable than when listening Boot Camp Clik or whoever. Peace.

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #44 of 56

Quote:
Flobots is another one, while not necessarily mastered perfectly, it uses real instruments.

I'm with you. Flobots debut album Fight With Tools sounds excellent. It came to life with Ety's of all iem's. Most hip hop has excessive slack when it comes to mastering. Although the vocals on some of T.I.'s albums are pretty good. I can't really think of one other than Flobots that is very good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back