audiophile quality albums
Feb 28, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #287 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulw86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the idea of picking out audiophile quality albums just for the sake of testing out headphones is silly.

I tend to disagree. Why do you feel that way?

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #288 of 340
1. The Sound of analog is back: From Mark Levinson - Red Rose Music;

2. CD Master I : Mark Levinson, Audio Engineer - ABC Records;

3. CD Master II: Mark Levinson, Audio Engineer - ABC Records.

icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #290 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those who recommended Porcupine Tree: Thank You!!!

In Absentia is very impressive, and I really like the music a lot.

Make sure you get Lightbulb Sun. That album is stunning, and it sounds amazing.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #292 of 340
Steve Wilsons new album Insurgentes is just stunning. The quality, the dynamics and of course the brilliance of Steve comes out in his first solo album. It came out this week and if your a Porcupine Tree fan, this album is a must. Steve has a way to quietly pulling you into a song and then hitting you with a full on audio assault when you least expect it. With a good amp and some good cans its a great ride!

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #293 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you get Lightbulb Sun. That album is stunning, and it sounds amazing.

Thanks, I will get it. I like Absentia enough to know that I need more Porcupine Tree!
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #294 of 340
As stupid as this sounds, I found The Lonely Island's debut album Incredibad to be absolutely delightful to listen to; but I'm not sure if I would describe it as "audiophile quality" though lol

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #295 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve Wilsons new album Insurgentes is just stunning. The quality, the dynamics and of course the brilliance of Steve comes out in his first solo album. It came out this week and if your a Porcupine Tree fan, this album is a must. Steve has a way to quietly pulling you into a song and then hitting you with a full on audio assault when you least expect it. With a good amp and some good cans its a great ride!

I'll definitely buy it when I see it at the store. Harmony Korine is just amazing.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #296 of 340
Laurie Anderson - Bright Red

She does more talking than singing - rather like an updated and moodier version of her earlier "Big Science". Brian Eno does the production with Bright Red, matching her clear (close-miked) voice with a spacious, subtle, atmospheric backdrop - sometimes downright spooky.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #297 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll definitely buy it when I see it at the store. Harmony Korine is just amazing.

Collecting Space - a great track! The last minute and a half or so is just awesome!

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #298 of 340
Quite strange reading some of this thread. Except for one or two exceptions, many of you mention the audio quality of an album with reference to the artist. While the artist may be responsible for none, some or all of the musical content they are very rarely responsible for the audio quality. There are some exceptions of course, Dire Straits, Carpenters, Beach Boys, ABBA but it is rare.

For audio quality you should be taking note of the recording studio, the recording engineer, the producer and the mastering engineer.

For example Thriller by Michael Jackson is a great album musically and also great quality audio, most of which is down to the producer Quincy Jones. Crazy by Seal is an example of great digital production and the person to look out for there is the producer Trevor Horn.

You can always be pretty sure of audio quality out of Abbey Road Studios and Air Studios and there are many over the pond in the USA which are also top class. General rule is the top studios have the best equipment, the best monitoring environments and the best professionals working there and so are most likely to produce recordings of the best quality.

G

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #300 of 340
Yanni's Live at the Acropolis and Yanni Live - the Concert Event are two of the best live recordings I've ever heard. Fantastic dynamics, energy, and textures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back