Audiophile not a music lover...?
Apr 23, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #32 of 144

Quote:

so most head-fiers arent audiophiles?

I can't say that for anyone, its *my* understanding of an audiophile. I feel I need to know what I'm doing/changing, and how it'll affect the output. Some may not. There's no official definition.

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #33 of 144
I liked this quote

"A music lover will stop what he's doing and stay glued to a favorite piece of music even if it's coming over a 3" speaker or a public-address system...."

Thing is, that applies to many an audiophile.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #34 of 144
They are not mutually exclusive terms. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #35 of 144
Truth is the dude strikes a nerve. Just take it like a man and don't get all butthurt about it. I admit to recognising myself in some of his remarks. Not in the pedophile one though. It's good to look at things from a different perspective now and then. Reality check's good for the brain. And the wallet. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #36 of 144
Reality check = good. 

Reality check from this guy? = ridiculous. Even when he is right, he somehow twists it something nearly useless. He does more harm than good for photography and audio. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #37 of 144

Quote:
They are not mutually exclusive terms. 

They are actually closer to mutually inclusive as the "phil" suffix comes from Greek meaning "lover" (obsessed, much affection for, etc) and the prefix "audio" coming from the Latin verb "to hear" (to listen etc). Without taking much liberty one can make a direct and accurate translation and definition of "audiophile" as "music lover".

We all vary to differing degrees of what part of "audio" is more important to us, the music itself, or the reproduction, but no music lover loves the transistor radio sound, even of his favorite track, and no 'gear head' wants to hear music that he can't stand, even on the finest equipment.

I repeat. Ken Rockwell is a moron, and for a journalist, quite unaware of what the words he uses mean.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #38 of 144
Why do I find his definitions of music lover and audiophile so childish? In fact, the entire article seems fairly childish while half bragging about him being a superior breed of people who listen to music from some made up golden age. By his definition, a person who enjoys $200 headphones as well as $700 headphones equally is not an audiophile? Someone who only owns one amp can't be an audiophile? 

There is so little thought put into this article...

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #39 of 144
The article appears to be filled with contempt for audiophiles.

I'll never look at his website again for Photo info and reviews. Makes me suspect his photo credentials and opinions.

May 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #41 of 144
There are people in every field/hobby/whatever who will try to substitute experience and understanding with large sums of money.  Audio is not an exception, it's just a case where the behavior is very visible.

May 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #42 of 144
Quote:
There are people in every field/hobby/whatever who will try to substitute experience and understanding with large sums of money.  Audio is not an exception, it's just a case where the behavior is very visible. 

there are people who have more money than they know to do with who have a garage of exotic cars, but i wouldn't say they are car enthusiasts. car enthusiasts know what a cam shaft is.

i can't think of any other fields of interest where increasing one's knowledge isn't a part of the appeal and enthusiasts aren't more informed than non enthusiasts.

May 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #43 of 144
Quote:
I liked this quote

"A music lover will stop what he's doing and stay glued to a favorite piece of music even if it's coming over a 3" speaker or a public-address system...."

Thing is, that applies to many an audiophile.

One of the worst experiences of my life was realising that the lift music at a tower in the Brisbane CBD was a Muzak version of  'Born in the USA'. If there is a hell, the people responsible for that atrocity are most definitely headed straight there. So many Whtney Houston hits to choose from, and they paid EMI for the rights to rape a rock classic - unforgivable. 

May 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #44 of 144
Quote:

One of the worst experiences of my life was realising that the lift music at a tower in the Brisbane CBD was a Muzak version of  'Born in the USA'. If there is a hell, the people responsible for that atrocity are most definitely headed straight there. So many Whtney Houston hits to choose from, and they paid EMI for the rights to rape a rock classic - unforgivable. 

This means "Death To My Hometown!"

Something like this would never happen up here in Canada because "We Take Care Of Our Own".

May 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #45 of 144
I think I will write my own article: "what is an 4sshole"

I will then go about telling my life story like it is gospel in order to establish a position of authority from which I can belittle and ridicule people who hold beliefs and embark in practices that I consider to be foolish, misguided and wasteful, and ultimately liken them to pedophiles.

What a horrible and pathetic person the author of that article must be...

Of course I think he fundamentally misrepresents audiophiles as to why they actually bother changing equipment.  What about musicians who buy million dollar magical violins?

If such a person did exist and he depicts in his article, I would pity them rather than bother to spend time ridiculing them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back