Audiophile not a music lover...?
Mar 4, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #61 of 144
You get out what you put in. Some people find the same thing in mathematics or architecture or color or pets that I find in music. That's fine. Not everyone has to listen to music. It doesn't matter where you find the richness of humanity as long as you realize that the world is huge and there's more out there than you can possibly imagine. To reduce the world down to the size of our individual preconceptions is a very sad thing. A lot of people construct their own box to live in.

Last week I downloaded an app that will automate downloading youtube videos. I went to youtube and started typing in keywords of particular kinds of music that I've been looking for over the years... Cuban swing from the 40s and 50s, Thai and Vietnamese pop songs from the 60s and 70s, obscure early electronic music from the Soviet Union... It was all there. And the videos linked to other music I didn't know existed... Pre-revolution Persian pop music, Hawaiian slack key guitar from the 30s, music from Turkish movies from the 70s, tons of music by Mort Garson and Ferrante and Teicher that never made it to CD... I stacked up a queue of downloads and I've been digging through it for the past week.

There is absolutely no excuse for thinking that the media controls what you hear. It isn't their fault that they spoon feed morons with lousy music. There are a lot of morons who demand that and expect to be spoon fed. I've been collecting music for over 40 years now. I have tens of thousands of 78s, LPs and CDs. But I've never experienced such an overload of greatness as today on the internet. It's like walking out of a cave into the daylight.

Music isn't boring. People are boring. For the life of me I can't understand why people would *choose* to be boring when the whole world is there at the click of a button. How can someone be so lazy they won't even make the effort to type a few words into the YouTube search engine? I produced the first animated cartoon for the internet decades ago. I was trying to push a cartoon through a 14.4 modem. Not easy. But I knew that someday, artists would have a way to reach their audience directly without limitations. That time has come. It's up to the audience to make the effort to look for the art.

The most important music in the world is the music you haven't heard yet... or perhaps don't even know that it exists.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #62 of 144
You get out what you put in. Some people find the same thing in mathematics or architecture or color or pets that I find in music. That's fine. Not everyone has to listen to music. It doesn't matter where you find the richness of humanity as long as you realize that the world is huge and there's more out there than you can possibly imagine. To reduce the world down to the size of our individual preconceptions is a very sad thing. A lot of people construct their own box to live in.

Last week I downloaded an app that will automate downloading youtube videos. I went to youtube and started typing in keywords of particular kinds of music that I've been looking for over the years... Cuban swing from the 40s and 50s, Thai and Vietnamese pop songs from the 60s and 70s, obscure early electronic music from the Soviet Union... It was all there. And the videos linked to other music I didn't know existed... Pre-revolution Persian pop music, Hawaiian slack key guitar from the 30s, music from Turkish movies from the 70s, tons of music by Mort Garson and Ferrante and Teicher that never made it to CD... I stacked up a queue of downloads and I've been digging through it for the past week.

There is absolutely no excuse for thinking that the media controls what you hear. It isn't their fault that they spoon feed morons with lousy music. There are a lot of morons who demand that and expect to be spoon fed. I've been collecting music for over 40 years now. I have tens of thousands of 78s, LPs and CDs. But I've never experienced such an overload of greatness as today on the internet. It's like walking out of a cave into the daylight.

Music isn't boring. People are boring. For the life of me I can't understand why people would *choose* to be boring when the whole world is there at the click of a button. How can someone be so lazy they won't even make the effort to type a few words into the YouTube search engine? I produced the first animated cartoon for the internet decades ago. I was trying to push a cartoon through a 14.4 modem. Not easy. But I knew that someday, artists would have a way to reach their audience directly without limitations. That time has come. It's up to the audience to make the effort to look for the art.

The most important music in the world is the music you haven't heard yet... or perhaps don't even know that it exists.
Very nicely written...and the best response to a question that has popped up on nearly every audio forum i have visited.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #63 of 144

Clarification please. Not sure how to take this. Are we just talking or are you disagreeing with what I posted? If disagreeing, that's all I do is hunt for new music. As I wrote, I'm talking about mainstream music which I feel is poor. Probably 75% of everything I listen too is from another country but it's the genre (s) I like and prefer. That doesn't mean I'm so closed minded that I won't branch out because I do all the time. I just have specific tastes that I gravitate towards more then other genres. I spend countless hours looking for something fresh I've never heard before. That's one of the things that's so exciting to me is the experience of discovering a band or artist that no one else has a clue that they even exist. Then of course I share the wealth with anyone that will even take the opportunity to take a listen. But what I find is most people I know just want to listen to the same old rehashed stuff that's been played over and over again. Hell, my Spotify account has locked me out so I can't add any new artists. That's hard to do and I'm not close to being done. I may need to open another account under my wife's name. I truly can appreciate what an artists creates but that doesn't mean that I like it enough to buy/stream their music. I'm probably not as eclectic as you are and I think that's great.

On a side-note, is your animated short available to view? If so, do you have a link?
Another question, aren't you a member on Bluray.com? I could swear I've seen your avatar and read some of your posts. Maybe it's just me, but?....

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #64 of 144
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I'm just describing how great the world is, and how everyone should take advantage of the fantastic resources technology has given us. Bach in his own time was heard by just the people who lived in his village and went to his church. Even 100 years ago, very few people had ever heard Bach's music. Today, you can click on a mouse and hear a huge chunk of his lifetime output no matter where in the world you live. We can look at great art that used to belong to Kings and Princes. We can put a whole library of books on a thumb drive and carry it in our pocket. We can watch movies and listen to recordings going back 100 years. All of this gets piped into our homes through a cable and then transmitted through the air to every room in our house. That is pretty doggone exciting. No one is preventing us from being the most aesthetically literate culture that ever walked upon the face of the Earth... except our own self imposed limitations.

All I can talk about is what I've done... I think of music like branches in a tree. I'll take a particular type of music that I know very little about, and I'll immerse myself in it for a year or two. I'll read about it, try to find recordings, learn about the performers and composers and I look for links with other kinds of music, recordings, performers and composers. I study their influences and the people they influenced. One thing leads me to another and I follow the breadcrumbs. I started out choosing 1930s jazz. That led me to post war jump blues, then modern jazz. I did the same thing with the German classical music genre, which led to Wagner operas, Debussy and Ravel, Stravinsky and Ives, Verdi, Haydn, ancient music... Latin jazz led me to traditional Cuban rhythm which led me to cumbia. Pop vocals, easy listening and exotica, rap and hip hop, movie soundtracks, tin pan alley and ragtime, 1920s dance bands, Mozart, funk and soul, Balinese gamelan, 50s rock n roll, old time country music, Mexican ranchero music, folk music... I just kept following branches wherever they led me. I never decided I didn't like a particular type of music. I just listened to it and tried to understand it and figured out what it had to offer me. I still have a bunch of genres of music that I have on the back burner so I never run out of new stuff. I do the same thing with art and movies as I do with music. My media server is 100TB.

Yes, that's me at blu-ray.com. As for stuff I've produced... I did a video for Bjork called I Miss You, a TV special called Boo Boo Runs Wild, and recently I've been working on the internet cartoon series Bravest Warriors and Bee & Puppycat. I've worked on crap too, but those are the things I'm most proud of. In my spare time, I run a non-profit archive that serves student artists.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #65 of 144
VERY interesting take! I agree with most of what you said. Music on the whole is generic, has been and almost always will be. That's why I listen to stuff that hardly anyone else listens too. Anything with 3/4, 4/4, 6/8 tempo just drives me insane and it ALL sounds the same. I spend hours upon hours (pretty sad I know) looking for something "different" That's why I listen to a LOT of progressive metal or hard progressive rock where it's off tempo with crazy time signatures and something you'd never hear in the radio. Something that's at least semi-melodic (hopefully so) it moves me, it's different, but at the same time is off the beaten path. Music has become so watered down and blah that if I do listen to the radio, it's news talk or sports talk.
I'm still trying figure out if I'm an audiophile or not. I love music but I also love well recorded music. But I will NEVER own something just because it sounds good. I may do that just to hear how great it sounds, but it's one and done and I'm outta there. Maybe that eliminates me from every being an audiophile then. Who knows. I always search for the "best" recorded and laid down tracks from specific bands that I'm in to that actually sound good. It's just really difficult because of what I listen too. These artists/musicians don't have the money to back them because they're not mainstream. I pretty much figure that they either have a small unheard of label sponsoring them or it's coming out of their pockets. Better yet, recording it themselves.

I am interested in music that you have found, can you suggest some of those progressive recordings? Ive listened to tool and havent found the equivalent of their creativity yet... I agree with you and im so happy im understood on that subject, thank you!
However, the guy that spoke about the beauty of life completely missed the point, while he said some interesting things, we can argue weather or not life is beutiful, is Einstein legit etc...

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #66 of 144
I've got to say that while it's not true of absolutely all audiophiles, I do entirely agree with the OP's link and have said something very similar on several occasions over a long period. I've phrased it as: Many/Most audiophiles are not actually audiophiles, they are in practise audio-equipment-philes.

I'm talking about mainstream music which I feel is poor.

I would agree and add; that's effectively what consumers have (unwittingly) demanded/created. The mainstream market now is to download or stream music for free or for fractions of a cent per track. The INEVITABLE consequence of massively lower industry income is producing products at a massively lower cost and investment in new product which is highly risk adverse. In fact, over the course of the last 15-20 years the amount of mainstream music product being produced has declined and today there's very little being produced! Instead, much of the mainstream product being produced is not primarily a music product, it's effectively promotional material for tours and with few rare exceptions per year, touring, along with back catalogues, is the only part of the industry that makes any real money.

I often hear audiophiles cry: It's my money, I spend it on what makes me feel happy (regardless of what objectivists believe is snake oil) and I'm not harming anyone else. How consumers spend their money does clearly affect others: You, me and others want high quality (produced/recorded) musical innovation and diversity but that's virtually impossible in the market which consumers have created. And more directly, audiophiles buying into so called "Hi-Resolution" and other snake oil diverts money from an already financially strapped industry into fulfilling that demand for snake oil.

Music should never take work to enjoy it....
Music has to connect with me on a spiritual and emotional level as it's a feeling, an emotion...it's life.

I'm not sure I can entirely agree with this. Music is an expression of culture and mainstream music recordings are an expression of the current popular culture. To fully appreciate them therefore requires some understanding of the culture which they are expressing. As teenagers that doesn't require any work because we are already part of that current culture but as we become older we get further away from the current popular culture (being defined by today's teenagers) and we therefore either have to work at it or simply dismiss it as "rubbish". I'm not saying that one can't connect on a spiritual or emotional level with say Debussy because we are so far removed from the culture of Debussy's time. I'm saying that Debussy was an exceptional rarity, so exceptional that we can still connect with his music emotionally despite being so far removed from it's context/culture, although I would say that working at it, gaining an understanding of what exactly he was doing and the context of it, provides an even deeper/fuller appreciation. Furthermore, understanding exactly what Debussy was doing leads to an understanding of what say Schoenberg was trying to do (or rebel against) which can lead to an appreciation of music which otherwise you'd probably have instantly dismissed without a second thought.

One can connect with music spiritually, emotionally, intellectually or sometimes all three and, as we get older as individuals our spirituality, emotions and intellect evolves and therefore so can our taste in music but typically it needs a little help, a little work. There's probably a wealth of music out there you could really enjoy with some work and as you already have a background in music performance and theory, relatively little work. Your approach of specifically not wanting to do any work is of course entirely your choice and I'm not in anyway criticising you for it, I'm just pointing out that IMHO it will inevitably lead to more difficulty finding what you're after, more frustration and more disenchantment with music in general.

Bach in his own time was heard by just the people who lived in his village and went to his church. Even 100 years ago, very few people had ever heard Bach's music.

While I entirely agree with your posts in this thread, I don't agree with this particular assertion. Bach was heard by a far wider audience in his day than just "the people who lived in his village". Obviously there was no recording technology in the first half of the 1700's but there was music publishing and many bought and performed (privately and publicly) his music throughout Europe. For many decades after his death Bach's music was virtually never publicly performed and was essentially unknown outside a small number of scholars, composers and aficionados but in the first half of 1800's his music started to be publicly performed again and by the mid 1800's had gained enough popularity to warrant a fair amount of it being re-published. By the end of the 1800's Bach was widely recognised by the public as one of history's greatest composers and was regularly performed.

Again, this isn't materially important to the overall point you're trying to make and I'm just being somewhat of a pedant. :)

G

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #67 of 144
I am interested in music that you have found, can you suggest some of those progressive recordings? Ive listened to tool and havent found the equivalent of their creativity yet... I agree with you and im so happy im understood on that subject, thank you!
However, the guy that spoke about the beauty of life completely missed the point, while he said some interesting things, we can argue weather or not life is beutiful, is Einstein legit etc...
Sure man. My pleasure. Here's a bunch of different types of bands for you. All pretty different. Should give you an idea what I listen too. I listen to a LOT of instrumental that I didn't list. If you like the Helix Nebula, I can list you another 20+ artists if interested.

*Soen. If you like Tool, you should enjoy this band
*TesseracT.
*Dream Theater
(just don't listen to the CD "The astonishing") Maybe start off listening to the CD "Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory" then maybe "Awake" then for their newer stuff "Black Clouds and Silver Linings". Dream Theater is considered the Kings of progressive Metal. I tend to agree as they're fabulous musicians. All schooled at Berklee.
*Haken...one of my favorites. Fantastic band and musicians
*The Helix Nebula. Instrumental, INCREDIBLE musicians but hard.
*Animals as Leader. Instrumental. INCREDIBLE musicians but hard
*Beyond the Bridge. Concept band, kind of theatrical
*Symphony X. Symphonic metal
*Distorted Harmony. Hard to explain.
*Drewsif Stalin's Musical Endeavors. Very different
*Earthside. Melodic, sublime, exceptional
*Hemina. Hard to describe
*Native Construct. They're like Distorted harmony.

That should be good :)
Greg

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #68 of 144
I'm not sure I can entirely agree with this. Music is an expression of culture and mainstream music recordings are an expression of the current popular culture. To fully appreciate them therefore requires some understanding of the culture which they are expressing. As teenagers that doesn't require any work because we are already part of that current culture but as we become older we get further away from the current popular culture (being defined by today's teenagers) and we therefore either have to work at it or simply dismiss it as "rubbish". I'm not saying that one can't connect on a spiritual or emotional level with say Debussy because we are so far removed from the culture of Debussy's time. I'm saying that Debussy was an exceptional rarity, so exceptional that we can still connect with his music emotionally despite being so far removed from it's context/culture, although I would say that working at it, gaining an understanding of what exactly he was doing and the context of it, provides an even deeper/fuller appreciation. Furthermore, understanding exactly what Debussy was doing leads to an understanding of what say Schoenberg was trying to do (or rebel against) which can lead to an appreciation of music which otherwise you'd probably have instantly dismissed without a second thought.

One can connect with music spiritually, emotionally, intellectually or sometimes all three and, as we get older as individuals our spirituality, emotions and intellect evolves and therefore so can our taste in music but typically it needs a little help, a little work. There's probably a wealth of music out there you could really enjoy with some work and as you already have a background in music performance and theory, relatively little work. Your approach of specifically not wanting to do any work is of course entirely your choice and I'm not in anyway criticising you for it, I'm just pointing out that IMHO it will inevitably lead to more difficulty finding what you're after, more frustration and more disenchantment with music in general.
G

Nice post! Point taken and I know that you're not pushing your views on me, just stating them. But please understand my point of view as I have yours. I can fully appreciate the culture, the meaning, the pain, the joy, the heart and soul of music from a specific and ANY culture. I get it and in it's entirety. But again, that doesn't mean that I will connect to it in a way that it's something I'm going to go back too. I will appreciate it for what it is, maybe even shed a tear or 2 and then move on to what connects with me.

I'm no young man that's for sure and I'm "much" older then what meets the eye due to the type of music I enjoy the most. Age doesn't mean a thing to me. I remember my brother telling me a good 30 years ago that when you get older, your tastes will change, your music preferences will change along with your age. Well, so much for that. I still very much adore the "harder" side of music as long as it's not garbage....and there's a lot of that out there. That doesn't mean whatsoever that I haven't matured in my music as I have in life and age. I truly just don't enjoy a lot to most of the music that is out there these days....mainstream, underground and 3rd world. The majority of what I listen to is from other countries from all around the world. That's why when I say I don't put the work into it, that's not all necessarily true. I probably was talking out of both sides of my mouth before as I do put work into finding new music. I just don't put work into finding something that doesn't interest me. If I stumble across something, that's a bonus and it will go into my library. I just know what I like, what I connect to emotionally and spiritually, then sit back, put the headphones on and get lost in music and not worry about a thing what's going on in the world during that time. :)

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #69 of 144
I can fully appreciate the culture, the meaning, the pain, the joy, the heart and soul of music from a specific and ANY culture. I get it and in it's entirety. But again, that doesn't mean that I will connect to it in a way that it's something I'm going to go back too.

That isn't any fault of the music. There are some people who don't enjoy watching B&W movies or operatic singing or the sound of the harpsichord. That's perfectly fine, but they are missing out on a lot of valuable stuff. Hopefully, they make it up somewhere else. I remember when I told my boss that I didn't like country music, and he invited me over the next weekend to share his favorite country records with me and tell me about the various styles and performers. Now I love country music. The primary reason that people say they don't connect with a particular type of music is because they don't know much about it and haven't made an effort to understand it. I'm willing to spend a few weeks with any kind of music if I have someone who is knowledgeable and passionate about it to point me the way. I look for people like that on internet forums, but most peopleon the internet spend time talking about things they don't like or things they don't know much about!

If a lot of people are passionate and excited about a particular type of music, I want to understand why. I don't decide whether I *like* something or not, because it isn't my goal necessarily to *like*, it's to understand. Once I understand, *liking* seems to naturally follow, even though I don't intend it.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #70 of 144
That isn't any fault of the music. There are some people who don't enjoy watching B&W movies or operatic singing or the sound of the harpsichord. That's perfectly fine, but they are missing out on a lot of valuable stuff. Hopefully, they make it up somewhere else. I remember when I told my boss that I didn't like country music, and he invited me over the next weekend to share his favorite country records with me and tell me about the various styles and performers. Now I love country music. The primary reason that people say they don't connect with a particular type of music is because they don't know much about it and haven't made an effort to understand it. I'm willing to spend a few weeks with any kind of music if I have someone who is knowledgeable and passionate about it to point me the way. I look for people like that on internet forums, but most peopleon the internet spend time talking about things they don't like or things they don't know much about!

If a lot of people are passionate and excited about a particular type of music, I want to understand why. I don't decide whether I *like* something or not, because it isn't my goal necessarily to *like*, it's to understand. Once I understand, *liking* seems to naturally follow, even though I don't intend it.
Of course it’s not the fault of the music. I couldn’t agree more. It’s 100% ME. I don’t like to eat fish and a lot of other people dont like fish either. Those people and I are not missing out on anything if they/we “tried it” then didn’t like. If people never tried something then criticized or commented in a negative way, they’re just ignorant and not fooling anyone. I also don’t need to eat fish multiple times to know if I’m going to continue to try fish or not. I dont need to understand how a fish is caught, cared for, prepared or how knowledgeable the chef may be in his craft or the years of experience he has to prepare his dish. I dont like it, just like Sushi. Wouldn’t put that garbage in my mouth if you paid me. You on the other hand want to know why. Interesting and it’s your way and I can respect that.

This is all about preferences. One mans garbage is another mans treasure and visa versa. You are different then most people possessing a wide variety of interest in music. I salute you. I can only assume seeing we don’t know each other then conversing on this thread, you’re a passionate man with strong opinions. I can respect that too.

I’ve listened to a ton of music from around the country and world in my near 60 years of life and I like what I like. It’s not being closed minded or not looking into other avenues. It’s just something I’m not interested in like anything else, if I gave it a whirl. I also believe I’m in the minority when it comes to music. I’m not a sheeple that needs to be spoon fed.

I find it fascinating that you’re so interested in music that you’ve never been exposed too then educate yourself in the process. Me? Not that important any more at this point of my life.
Good conversation.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #71 of 144
I'm really not talking about "like" or "don't like" or personal preferences. That's what people do when they don't have any real interest in thinking about art. "I don't like Picasso" "Why?" "Because I don't like Picasso"... Opinions like that are fine for the person, but there really is no reason to go on the internet to the whole world and broadcast it. There are informed opinions that have reasoning and knowledge behind them and there are opinions that have nothing behind them but some sort of arbitrary decision someone made to like or not like something.

I never shut the door on music. Early on in my interest in classical music, I tackled Bach. But a lot of it was impenetrable for me. I realized that there was something there that I just wasn't able to perceive yet, so I set it aside and moved on to other things, like opera and impressionist composers that I was more able to parse. After a decade or two, I tackled Bach again. This time, a lot of things that baffled me before, like the cantatas, made sense to me. But I still realize there's more there than I am seeing, so Bach will come back a third time, I'm sure.

Granted, there are only so many hours in a day. No one can listen to everything. My solution to that is to schedule my interests. I have a bucket list of music that I plan to get around to exploring, and every year or so, I change up what I'm listening to and immerse myself in something new. I still have more music on my list than I have time remaining in my life. But there's something comforting in that because I know that my life will continue to hold surprises for me until the day I die.

But one point I want to emphasize is that I don't have broad tastes in music. I'm the same as everyone else. My personal preferences are just as limited as anyone else. If I let them guide me, I would listen to a tiny fraction of the music I listen to. The difference between my musical frame of reference and the average person has everything to do with my process. Making the effort to learn and grow with music is what makes it appear from the outside that I have broad tastes. But I don't. I just know how to address and incorporate music into my life better than most people.

We live in a culture that doesn't appreciate the arts. We're surrounded with great art and music and drama and creativity every day of our lives. Greatness is a mouse click away. But we "background" culture and use it like wallpaper. That trivializes it and we begin to read our own neglect as some fault of the art itself. It isn't. We're the most fortunate generation that ever lived. And we waste that opportunity by being too lazy to get off our asses and go to the effort to process the treasures that are stacked up all around us.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #72 of 144
Everything is about opinion. You are stating yours. Would my opinion or this conversation be more valid if we were talking about art and I said I didn't like the brush strokes of Picasso thus the reason I don't like his work? I don't like his color pallet? I guess there's really nothing else to say. It was my pleasure though.

Mar 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #73 of 144
Nice post! Point taken and I know that you're not pushing your views on me, just stating them. But please understand my point of view as I have yours. I can fully appreciate the culture, the meaning, the pain, the joy, the heart and soul of music from a specific and ANY culture. I get it and in it's entirety. But again, that doesn't mean that I will connect to it in a way that it's something I'm going to go back too. I will appreciate it for what it is, maybe even shed a tear or 2 and then move on to what connects with me.

I'm no young man that's for sure and I'm "much" older then what meets the eye due to the type of music I enjoy the most. Age doesn't mean a thing to me. I remember my brother telling me a good 30 years ago that when you get older, your tastes will change, your music preferences will change along with your age. Well, so much for that. I still very much adore the "harder" side of music as long as it's not garbage....and there's a lot of that out there. That doesn't mean whatsoever that I haven't matured in my music as I have in life and age. I truly just don't enjoy a lot to most of the music that is out there these days....mainstream, underground and 3rd world. The majority of what I listen to is from other countries from all around the world. That's why when I say I don't put the work into it, that's not all necessarily true. I probably was talking out of both sides of my mouth before as I do put work into finding new music. I just don't put work into finding something that doesn't interest me. If I stumble across something, that's a bonus and it will go into my library. I just know what I like, what I connect to emotionally and spiritually, then sit back, put the headphones on and get lost in music and not worry about a thing what's going on in the world during that time. :)[/QUOT
Well said Sir.

Mar 5, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #74 of 144
Everything is about opinion. You are stating yours. Would my opinion or this conversation be more valid if we were talking about art and I said I didn't like the brush strokes of Picasso thus the reason I don't like his work? I don't like his color pallet?

That's easy! I would ask what about his brushwork or use of color do you not like. And why don't you like it? And if you had insight into that, I'd try to figure out with you how Picasso's brush strokes and color related to what he was trying to say with his art. That would be an interesting conversation, and it would probably lead to both of us understanding Picasso better, regardless of whether we liked it or not. The goal isn't to "like" it's to understand.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #75 of 144
That's easy! I would ask what about his brushwork or use of color do you not like. And why don't you like it? And if you had insight into that, I'd try to figure out with you how Picasso's brush strokes and color related to what he was trying to say with his art. That would be an interesting conversation, and it would probably lead to both of us understanding Picasso better, regardless of whether we liked it or not. The goal isn't to "like" it's to understand.
Why? I really dont get that philosophy, i come from 3rd side of the triangle, where i find art to be affecting money in a terrible way, that you have idea about "value". Art should not be connected to money or be valued, since everyone can say "its ugly" or "its worth nothing"... And anyone can say"its worth XXXXXXXX" so he can invent a price for something subjective and buy food for the rest of his life...
Why should i understand art? Do i have to? What if i told you i find art to be superficial and worthless? Someones hard work i appreciate, but its not making my life better. Its nice... Does it have to exist? No, but it sure connects people and give them chance to think they are doing something in life, while they are just drawing like little kids... And/or producing/writting music- more advanced basics, but still as i said, just follow the pattern (school yourself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back