Audiophile not a music lover...?
Mar 7, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #91 of 144
Great discussion! I find upon reflection that I'm more musically bigoted than I would like to believe. Not that I want to be, but there is a finite amount of time I have to listen to new music. Most of my music discovery is listening to internet radio at work...

My favorite music is music that you can feel the buzz, excitement and energy of creative people totally into what they are doing. Passion, I would call it.

As a musician of more experience than tallent, I know that energy and musical bliss. I am blessed to be in a couple of bands that achieve those moments on a continuing basis... one of them, believe it or not, is a church worship band doing covers of normally bland, cookie cutter "Modern Worship" songs. The drummer is into progressive metal, while I, as the bass player am into metal, funk, old-school R&B, Rush, (of course,) and mainly hitting a groove and playing the snot out of it. This provides a foundation for us to twist the music into something with energy and edge and passion.

My favorite music is the music we have yet to play, lol. It hay be transcendent or it might fall a bit flat, It is the adventure of creating that keeps me coming back.

On another note, (no pun intended,) i recently picked up an Allman Brothers 1969 to 1979 compilation disk from the Walmart cut-out bin. I had always dismissed them as "just southern rock" but wow, there is so much to take in... an excellent listen, if you have the time.

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #92 of 144
The Allman Brothers were great. Another great Southern rock band was Little Feat. Their live album, Waiting For Columbus is probably the greatest live album ever. Incredible sound quality too.

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #93 of 144
The Allman Brothers were great. Another great Southern rock band was Little Feat. Their live album, Waiting For Columbus is probably the greatest live album ever. Incredible sound quality too.
Little Feat is another victim of my musical bigotry... I'll have to check that album out...

Listening now on YouTube :thumbsup:Good stuff.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #94 of 144
Eric Clapton called Duane Allman the greatest guitar player ever...they where in Derick and the Dominos together...Allman also played on Boz Scaggs and quite a few other artists albums

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #96 of 144
Little Feat and Allmans are more derived from country blues.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #97 of 144
Little Feat and Allmans are more derived from country blues.
It's hard to pigeonhole the Allman Brothers as any one particular style. They happily combined jazz, country county Blues, rock and roll and country into one giant Melting Pot of music.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #98 of 144
That is country blues. That element of country music has always crossed all those lines. The Allmans's injected the rock element to late 40s, early 50s country blues. It's funny that in the 70s so many blues players were white, skinny and blonde. Molly Hatchet comes from a different place musically. It's just from the same region.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #99 of 144
That is country blues. That element of country music has always crossed all those lines. The Allmans's injected the rock element to late 40s, early 50s country blues. It's funny that in the 70s so many blues players were white, skinny and blonde. Molly Hatchet comes from a different place musically. It's just from the same region.
Agreed....i find one 1 cd leads to another though when listening and if i start out listening to the allmans it sometimes leads me to molly hatchet or skynard

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #100 of 144
The 70s were an odd time. Back then I thought I was "high class" because I listened to art rock like Genesis and Yes. I would pontificate with my friends claiming that it was "modern day classical music". I looked down my nose at funk and disco. Whenever the Jackson 5 or the O'Jays would turn up on Ed Sullivan or Don Kirshner's Rock Conert, I would make a "something stinks face" and turn the channel.

Now I go back and listen to Close to the Edge or Foxtrot and I cringe through most of it, but I can't get enough of Ohio Players and Parliament. I think my mistake back then was thinking that I knew something when I really didn't. I mistook pretentious noodling for something profound. I didn't have any clue about what classical music was all about, so when I heard rock music with an orchestra, I thought that was the same thing. I heard nonsense like "seven saintly shrouded men walked across the lawn slowly" and I thought it was poetry, because I had never read any poetry!

Likewise, I was totally ignorant of where funk came from. I had no idea that it led back in a direct genealogical line from soul to R&B to jump blues to jazz to the heart of American music, the blues. It didn't matter, because if you had asked me what any of those progenitors sounded like, I wouldn't have known anyway. Art Rock was a dead end cul de sac showing how rock n' roll had evolved into something that negated its whole original purpose, while funk was the real thing... a natural evolution of the greatest musical line of the 20th century.

I was just looking at superficial aspects and Roger Dean album covers and judging by that. I had no clue what the music actually meant. I can't tell you how happy I am to not have to live my whole life saddled to crappy gobbledegook music just because I had patterned on it as a chick. In fact, when I look back at how my experience with music evolved, the most important moments were the times when I came to the realization that I had my head up my ass and was dead wrong about a particular kind of music.
I have seen an interview with jon anderson of yes....the reporter tried to discuss their clever lyrics...anderson politely told him they where mostly nonsense and just fit nicely with the music lol

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #101 of 144
The 70s were an odd time. Back then I thought I was "high class" because I listened to art rock like Genesis and Yes. I would pontificate with my friends claiming that it was "modern day classical music". I looked down my nose at funk and disco. Whenever the Jackson 5 or the O'Jays would turn up on Ed Sullivan or Don Kirshner's Rock Conert, I would make a "something stinks face" and turn the channel.

Now I go back and listen to Close to the Edge or Foxtrot and I cringe through most of it, but I can't get enough of Ohio Players and Parliament. I think my mistake back then was thinking that I knew something when I really didn't. I mistook pretentious noodling for something profound. I didn't have any clue about what classical music was all about, so when I heard rock music with an orchestra, I thought that was the same thing. I heard nonsense like "seven saintly shrouded men walked across the lawn slowly" and I thought it was poetry, because I had never read any poetry!

Likewise, I was totally ignorant of where funk came from. I had no idea that it led back in a direct genealogical line from soul to R&B to jump blues to jazz to the heart of American music, the blues. It didn't matter, because if you had asked me what any of those progenitors sounded like, I wouldn't have known anyway. Art Rock was a dead end cul de sac showing how rock n' roll had evolved into something that negated its whole original purpose, while funk was the real thing... a natural evolution of the greatest musical line of the 20th century.

I was just looking at superficial aspects and Roger Dean album covers and judging by that. I had no clue what the music actually meant. I can't tell you how happy I am to not have to live my whole life saddled to crappy gobbledegook music just because I had patterned on it as a chick. In fact, when I look back at how my experience with music evolved, the most important moments were the times when I came to the realization that I had my head up my ass and was dead wrong about a particular kind of music.
f4d11d53-23e3-4cc6-b99c-2543cccebc02.jpg

bigshot discussing Genesis. archive 1970 colorized with CDs (PS: would you look at that equalizer setting).

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #102 of 144
I have seen an interview with jon anderson of yes....the reporter tried to discuss their clever lyrics...anderson politely told him they where mostly nonsense and just fit nicely with the music lol

Goo goo goo joob!

This one looks more like me...

600x400

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #105 of 144
The recently departed Johny Winter was probably the skinniest blondest whitest of them all...and an absolute student and master of the blues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back