Audiophile not a music lover...?
Mar 9, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #106 of 144
Maynard Ferguson though to me was the man!!

Thanks for the tip. I ordered a big stack of MF from Amazon on your recommendation and I'm listening now. Great stuff!

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #107 of 144
Round midnight and chameleon are my favs of Maynard.

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #108 of 144
I got one six album collection and two three album collections. A dozen albums for under $40.

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #109 of 144
Round midnight and chameleon are my favs of Maynard.
When we were in high school, Chameleon was the tune EVERY horn player aspired to play then nailing it. This song was also featured for the 1st seat trumpet player in the All Ohio Jazz band.
Ferguson was known and still is for gathering great musicians that surrounded him. He doesn’t even play that much. He sits most of the songs out while saving his chops so he can scream into the stratosphere for his solos. When we’d see him in concert, we couldn’t wait for him to get into position to solo. The anticipation was so thick you could cut it with a knife. He was a rock star (kind of an Oxymoron) for this kind of music. He can wail like no other and has I believe the highest range of any trumpet player in history. In any song, when he plays, you know exactly who it is. Very distinctive.

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #110 of 144
@koover If you're interested in brass music in general there are a some areas out there you might not be aware of. As an intro try:

Metropolis (Live) - Black Dyke Mills
Connotations - Black Dyke Mills

Giles Farnaby - Philip Jones Brass Ensemble (PJBE).
Pictures at an Exhibition (excerpt) - PJBE

Let me know what you think and if required I can make more suggestions.

G

Mar 12, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #111 of 144
@koover If you're interested in brass music in general there are a some areas out there you might not be aware of. As an intro try:

Metropolis (Live) - Black Dyke Mills
Connotations - Black Dyke Mills

Giles Farnaby - Philip Jones Brass Ensemble (PJBE).
Pictures at an Exhibition (excerpt) - PJBE

Let me know what you think and if required I can make more suggestions.

G
wow....the mussorgsky is incredible!I wish more genres where as open to different interpritations as classical is.The blues is pretty open that way....there doesn"t have to be a definitive version of every piece of music.

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #112 of 144
wow....the mussorgsky is incredible!I wish more genres where as open to different interpritations as classical is.The blues is pretty open that way....there doesn"t have to be a definitive version of every piece of music.

Even more incredible when you know that the musicians sight read the music and rehearsed it in one day, then recorded it all the next day and by "all" I mean the entire piece, not just that short extract. The interesting thing about "Pictures ..." is that most people know it as an orchestral piece but that's actually an arrangement made by Ravel, Mussorgsky wrote it originally for two pianos! Classical music has a long tradition of being arranged, going all the way back to the renaissance period. Composers themselves often performed their pieces with different instrumentation and in many cases we don't actually know exactly what the original instrumentation was.

The basic reason classical music often works as arrangements is because of how it's written; distinct lines which are comparable with human vocal ranges. So, the alto line can be played by any alto range instrument (say french horn, oboe or viola) the soprano line by say trumpet, flute or violin, etc. Other genres don't often have such complex and well defined "lines" and are more dependant on specific sounds (synths, electric guitars and drumkit for example).

G

Mar 12, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #113 of 144
Even more incredible when you know that the musicians sight read the music and rehearsed it in one day, then recorded it all the next day and by "all" I mean the entire piece, not just that short extract. The interesting thing about "Pictures ..." is that most people know it as an orchestral piece but that's actually an arrangement made by Ravel, Mussorgsky wrote it originally for two pianos! Classical music has a long tradition of being arranged, going all the way back to the renaissance period. Composers themselves often performed their pieces with different instrumentation and in many cases we don't actually know exactly what the original instrumentation was.

The basic reason classical music often works as arrangements is because of how it's written; distinct lines which are comparable with human vocal ranges. So, the alto line can be played by any alto range instrument (say french horn, oboe or viola) the soprano line by say trumpet, flute or violin, etc. Other genres don't often have such complex and well defined "lines" and are more dependant on specific sounds (synths, electric guitars and drumkit for example).

G
Breaking out the classical this evening....thanks for that.

Mar 24, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #114 of 144
Give him some vinyl zip cord for low level interconnects and surely he will not like the smearing of nuances but will never know why they are lost. But then again enjoyment may trump all defects.

Lest you all think I do not enjoy...
I collect all the fone DSDs I can, Arts too are some of the finest.
Screenshot_20180324-040512.png

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #115 of 144
Accardo’s Paganini on 60s DGG is superhuman. Goofy music though.

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #116 of 144
I thought about this some, I don’t see how appreciating quality audio could not lead to loving music even more. After listening to dsd 128 upsample from my antipodes I’m even more into music and other than self restraint, just want to buy more music...

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #117 of 144
Screenshot_20180324-052043.png
Accardo’s Paganini on 60s DGG is superhuman. Goofy music though.
Give him some vinyl zip cord for low level interconnects and surely he will not like the smearing of nuances but will never know why they are lost. But then again enjoyment may trump all defects.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #118 of 144
Just read this thread and really enjoyed the discussion about musical preferences. I'm over 50, and have noticed a few things:

- I have fond memories of the music listened to when I was young, but with a few exceptions, I don't have much motivation to listen to much of it any more. Gives me a "been there, done that" feeling, and I prefer to move forward.

- I actively search for new music from many genres and around the world. Sometimes I find things that blow me away. But even then, I find myself listening to that music for a while, then wanting to move on. When I was young, I could listen to something 100x and not find it getting stale at all, but that's no longer the case. I'm not sure why.

- Like koover, my music preference tends to gravitate towards the 'harder' side (I like Helix Nebula, Animals as Leaders, Haken, etc.). I wouldn't have predicted that at all when I was in my 20s or 30s; I assumed I'd 'grow out of it', but I haven't. Even now, I have a hard time imaging myself listening to this sort of music when I'm in my 70s and beyond, but I suppose that may be wrong too.

Interesting how the desire to explore new territory and evolve can be combined with staying very much the same in some ways.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #119 of 144
Just read this thread and really enjoyed the discussion about musical preferences. I'm over 50, and have noticed a few things:

- I have fond memories of the music listened to when I was young, but with a few exceptions, I don't have much motivation to listen to much of it any more. Gives me a "been there, done that" feeling, and I prefer to move forward.

- I actively search for new music from many genres and around the world. Sometimes I find things that blow me away. But even then, I find myself listening to that music for a while, then wanting to move on. When I was young, I could listen to something 100x and not find it getting stale at all, but that's no longer the case. I'm not sure why.

- Like koover, my music preference tends to gravitate towards the 'harder' side (I like Helix Nebula, Animals as Leaders, Haken, etc.). I wouldn't have predicted that at all when I was in my 20s or 30s; I assumed I'd 'grow out of it', but I haven't. Even now, I have a hard time imaging myself listening to this sort of music when I'm in my 70s and beyond, but I suppose that may be wrong too.

Interesting how the desire to explore new territory and evolve can be combined with staying very much the same in some ways.
Very cool. I like the way you think. I find it rare and interesting with our age, the kind of music we listen too. I truly don’t know anyone other then 2 friends and now you, who are much younger then I that have like tastes. All 3 bands that you listed literally are my favorites. We should chat offline sometime or any time as I’m sure we can turn each other on to bands and music (or just talk music) we’ve maybe never discovered yet.
Cheers! :metal:

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #120 of 144
The interesting thing about "Pictures ..." is that most people know it as an orchestral piece but that's actually an arrangement made by Ravel, Mussorgsky wrote it originally for two pianos!

I've only ever seen it for one pianist; is there an early version for two pianos or four-hands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back