Audiophile cables, an interesting question.
Nov 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #136 of 1,186
If I ever win the lottery, I will buy a whole load of high end cables and pull them apart to see what is really inside.

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #138 of 1,186
I will sponsor a University to run such tests and do proper research.
smile.gif

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #139 of 1,186
why is there always a cable thread about the same thing? we should have a sticky thread or something. anyways ''audiophile'' cables is usually marketing. it probably cost less then 20 bucks to make the cables they make and then they sell it for hundreds to thousands of dollars. just start doing cabling yourself.cheaper and not very hard whatsoever. i used silver and copper cable before ranging from different gauges and to be honest very little to no difference at all. only difference i can attest to is using thicker gauge speaker wire then 18 gauge can help but once you hit 16 gauge you notice zero changes going thicker unless you running speakers lower then 3ohms nominal and more then 50ft in length but that's very rare and i never see much people use speakers under 3ohms or nowhere near 50ft length either.

just let people believe in what they want. i mean something needs to make them feel warm inside. it's like little kid believing in santa clause. let them have something to look forward to and have some hope and let them be. they're not bothering you.

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #140 of 1,186
My objections to audiophile cables are

there are sold with psuedoscience akin to snake oil sales in the past

people think that the cables inherantly make a difference, for which there is no evidence

both of which are wrong IMO.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #141 of 1,186
I will sponsor a University to run such tests and do proper research.
smile.gif

Preferably in the psychology department. Engineering would make short work of the cables.

A psychology department's investigation would be a lot more interesting. I'm sure they could get rave reviews from a coathanger in a Cardas sleeve and horrible reviews of a Cardas cable labelled a coathangar. ABX isn't necessary. People "hear" what they expect to hear from a cable. Shuffling expectation and reality around would show that all reported "differences" come from what someone thinks is inside the cable.

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #142 of 1,186
A Psychology study could also expand the experiment to include any number of other unrelated stimuli. I guarantee there's a certain color wallpaper that is subjectively preferred for listening. A fresh coat of paint could be a more cost-effective tweak 
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #143 of 1,186

Quote:
My objections to audiophile cables are

there are sold with psuedoscience akin to snake oil sales in the past

people think that the cables inherantly make a difference, for which there is no evidence

both of which are wrong IMO.

If you please, that should be "Oxygen Free Snake Oil."

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 15, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #144 of 1,186
does this make sense:
pure copper cable conduct electricity better than deafult factory cable, therefore, it can be driven easier by ur amp, and therefore lower signal disortion.
is that theoratically correct? and is it practical at all?

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #145 of 1,186
Sort of.

Factory cables are usually pure copper as well. So *how much* better, a new cable actually conducts electricity, is usually a very very small amount if any. Changing the cable length by an inch or so, changes the overall cable impedance more than the material does. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #146 of 1,186
Most audiophile speaker cable is 10 AWG (10 gauge) copper.
If you have a 10 foot run of speaker cable ( this is fairly typical) then the resistance of the speaker cable is approx. 0.02 ohms.
If the power amplifier had zero output impedance ( this is impossible, I'm just trying to show how little influence cable resistance has in typical lengths) then the system would have a damping factor of 400.

The purity of the copper would have very little effect on the resistance of the cablle, therefore very little effect on the performance of the system. In typical lengths I would argue that you can ignore speaker cable resistance.

There is probably more resistance in the connections than in the actual cable.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #147 of 1,186

Quote:
Most audiophile speaker cable is 10 AWG (10 gauge) copper.
If you have a 10 foot run of speaker cable ( this is fairly typical) then the resistance of the speaker cable is approx. 0.02 ohms.
If the power amplifier had zero output impedance ( this is impossible, I'm just trying to show how little influence cable resistance has in typical lengths) then the system would have a damping factor of 400.

The purity of the copper would have very little effect on the resistance of the cablle, therefore very little effect on the performance of the system. In typical lengths I would argue that you can ignore speaker cable resistance.

There is probably more resistance in the connections than in the actual cable.

That pretty much sums it all up right there.

se

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #149 of 1,186
Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back