Audiophile cables, an interesting question.
Dec 17, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #166 of 1,186
The level matching might have made a difference, I did nothing to either cable, both straight out of the box. To randomize, since we had only two cables and no real commitment to a serious scientific endeavor here she just flipped a coin. It wasn't double blind, she knew which cables were which and it's entirely possible that I knew as well since the dragon cables are slightly heavier but this was as little bias as I could muster.

I can do level matching and try again at some point if we'd like a more scientific endeavor. I just saw the argument on here, knew I had two cables and an extra set of hands and just threw together a relatively rudimentary experiment. 

The awg of the moon audios is 24, is silver and 5 ft. long. The stock cables are copper and 10ft long but I'm not sure how to find the gauge of the stock cable without ripping it open, and I just don't want to do that. I'm no math whiz, so I'll let the people with more knowledge of this stuff work out the ohms.

I'm open to suggestions about how to make this a better test, so next time I try this, I'll have to level match the cables (I honestly never thought that would be a factor) and I'll try to figure out a way to avoid the possible weight bias.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #167 of 1,186

Quote:
The level matching might have made a difference, I did nothing to either cable, both straight out of the box. To randomize, since we had only two cables and no real commitment to a serious scientific endeavor here she just flipped a coin. It wasn't double blind, she knew which cables were which and it's entirely possible that I knew as well since the dragon cables are slightly heavier but this was as little bias as I could muster.

I can do level matching and try again at some point if we'd like a more scientific endeavor. I just saw the argument on here, knew I had two cables and an extra set of hands and just threw together a relatively rudimentary experiment. 

The awg of the moon audios is 24, is silver and 5 ft. long. The stock cables are copper and 10ft long but I'm not sure how to find the gauge of the stock cable without ripping it open, and I just don't want to do that. I'm no math whiz, so I'll let the people with more knowledge of this stuff work out the ohms.

I'm open to suggestions about how to make this a better test, so next time I try this, I'll have to level match the cables (I honestly never thought that would be a factor) and I'll try to figure out a way to avoid the possible weight bias.

Isn't copper known to have a warmer sound than silver?  Maybe that explains the difference you bass that you heard.

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #168 of 1,186

Quote:
Isn't copper known to have a warmer sound than silver?  Maybe that explains the difference you bass that you heard.

There is no science to back that claim up. But the rumour that copper sounds warmer and silver sounds brighter is enough to influence people into hearing differences. That is the mind at work, not the cable.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #169 of 1,186

Quote:
There is no science to back that claim up. But the rumour that copper sounds warmer and silver sounds brighter is enough to influence people into hearing differences. That is the mind at work, not the cable.

I see. Unfortunately, that notion is pretty deeply etched into the minds of the cable crowds. I personally do enjoy saving money, although some of the custom cables are so pretty.

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #170 of 1,186

Quote:

I've measured the FR differences between copper and silver analog cables, neither type had any notable deviation from utterly pancake flat...

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #171 of 1,186

Quote:

Right, and this is the problem. I don't like being suckered into paying top dollar for cables if they don't do anything... At least they are thicker than the stock cable; my cat likes chewing on things she shouldn't.  

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #172 of 1,186

Quote:

Silver is "bright" colored, copper is "warm" colored- there's the influence on the perception of sound IMO.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #173 of 1,186
I would quite like to participate in a blind ABX test myself. Personally I'm siding with scientific findings on this one, but I'd also like to test some other things, like amps. 

Also, arguably, maybe it's worth paying extra money for the placebo affect, it's not free :)

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #174 of 1,186

Quote:
I would quite like to participate in a blind ABX test myself. Personally I siding with scientific findings on this one, but I'd also like to test some other things, like amps. 

Also, arguably, maybe it's worth paying extra money for the placebo affect, it's not free :)

Yes, I like to have nice kit that makes me feel good and I can boast about to other audiophiles, or puzzle non-audiophiles. That is why I have no issue with people who buy outrageously expensive kit. The issue is with the unscientific claims that often follow,

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #176 of 1,186

Quote:
I've measured the FR differences between copper and silver analog cables, neither type had any notable deviation from utterly pancake flat...

amazingly, truly amazingly, this evidence is not enough for most people.    What do they really think they are hearing that is so "unmeasurable" which is always the bottom line claim.

please someone tell me what you are hearing, especially when you say the bass has increased, or treble has calmed down, - what magic sound are you hearing that you are clearly claiming is frequency response change, but somehow isnt a measurable one. 

no need to respond, here is your answer

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #177 of 1,186
I'm really not sure the McGurk effect is all that relevant to cables. It's not so much seeing the cable as it is knowing what the cable is. It does demonstrate nicely how easily our senses are fooled, but it's not what causes cables to sound different.

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #178 of 1,186

Quote:
I'm really not sure the McGurk effect is all that relevant to cables. It's not so much seeing the cable as it is knowing what the cable is. It does demonstrate nicely how easily our senses are fooled, but it's not what causes cables to sound different.

more about demonstrating how easily we are fooled for sure.

Though there is so very much evidence of the strength of bias, you need not look far to find insurmountable evidence that comparison without measurements and double blind tests is just rediculous.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #180 of 1,186

Quote:
To be exact, personal experience is valid scientific evidence.  It's just not sufficient scientific evidence.

Nicely put!

One could also say that measurements and DBT are valid scientific evidence. Just not sufficient scientific evidence.
When all the different evidences (?) are all in full alignment, then we have the answer that nobody can dispute. Other than another head-fier of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back