Audiofly AF180 Performance Series Impression&Appreciation Thread
Nov 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #61 of 160
My only gripe is the lack of upgrade or aftermarket cables. I love the feeling of a 4-weave pure silver-oyaide cable, plus the sound.

Plug these into any computer. Run a 24 bit FLAC file. Whao, do these shine
biggrin.gif

I've been told that you can get better for the price I paid - I paid for the full round features, the cable, the sound, the durability. I visited AF's office a few days ago, met the people and spoke to the designer who made the AF180. Really really nice people, got to try out the new AF headphone coming later this year. They're opening a shop in Kings Street, Perth soon too. It's a combination of the people that run it, the sound, the cable and the overall package that make this a plus for me.

And honestly, if I can get better for the price, I might as well just upgrade and keep these. The sound is something I haven't heard before in an IEM (I've tried translucent 1+2, JH, etc plugged to an AK240) and it's a perfect representation of sound - not too bassy, not too much shouty treble. PERFECT for movies.

Yeah, I used them a lot out of a Mac Pro -> FiiO E18 playing mostly flac tracks and they were indeed something else. I don't think I can ever say that you can get something better for the price. I'd say you could get something that might sound better in a different way. Actually, now that I think about it, I can't think of anything that might sound better at that price for me. In their introduction video, they do stress the point that these were designed for musicians and for onstage/performance/monitor use. That's how they were introduced to me and so thats what I always thought of them as. They just happen to sound exceptionally good for general use as well.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #62 of 160
They sound really clean for electronic music, but if you don't wear them for a day then put them on, they blow you away with quality.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #63 of 160
  What can I say...passion drives my money. Maybe not always making the most smartest and economical purchases but an itch my ear has for certain products itches my whole being.

Happy to hear you did :) From all the over-the-ear design iems, I found the ASG-2.5, PFE232, AF180 most comfortable and if I had to choose, AF180 would definitely be the choice in both sound and comfort! What tips did you use?

Any words on how the sound compares to the pfe232?

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #66 of 160
  I know the SE 846 costs nearly twice as much as the AF180, but it would be nice to hear any impressions/comparisons between the two if possible. 

I can't give you any detailed comparisons but I remember the se846's bass being a lot more in quantity and hard hitting than the af180.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #68 of 160

I can't give you any detailed comparisons but I remember the se846's bass being a lot more in quantity and hard hitting than the af180.

Harder hitting ie more on the money or more impact less soft and silky?

The AF180's bass is very subjective on what tips you use. I use medium Westone star tips, which give the best sound, as well as nice not-too-overcontrolled bass. They're warm to listen to, my only gripe is they're too easy to get used to. It doesn't matter though, choose either the AF180 or SE846 based on your preferences and you won't be able to listen to anything else.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #71 of 160
Jonyoo, can the AF180s have an aftermarket cable? I talked with Moon audio and they said it could work, I want to get a pure silver cable for my AF180 to smooth out the sound and make it colder, plus I like quad braid cables. The normal cable is too consumer, which isn't a bad thing.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #72 of 160
Jonyoo, can the AF180s have an aftermarket cable? I talked with Moon audio and they said it could work, I want to get a pure silver cable for my AF180 to smooth out the sound and make it colder, plus I like quad braid cables. The normal cable is too consumer, which isn't a bad thing.

I guess it is possible. I haven't used any cables from Moon audio so I don't know if they know the epic cable plug design that is unique to the Audiofly performance series. They need to know in order to create a cable that will fit and stay on. The normal cable does seem more practical for stage use however as it is longer and well built. I have no complaints with the normal cable.

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #73 of 160
I just had a brief test on the Audiofly AF180 at the Anaheim NAMM 2015 and boy am I impressed with it's sound signature. Can't comment much on it from my brief encounter but all I can say is that it's a very impressive performer.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #74 of 160
I just had a brief test on the Audiofly AF180 at the Anaheim NAMM 2015 and boy am I impressed with it's sound signature. Can't comment much on it from my brief encounter but all I can say is that it's a very impressive performer.

I had them replaced.
Four times.
In the end I asked for my money back. Turns out they had faulty BA drivers in the low and mid end. The newest batch sounds good, and the ''good stock'' probably will fix these issues but I can't trust a company that changes its products on the fly, leaving people with the old revisions helpless.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #75 of 160
They're definitely not worth the $550AUD you pay for them. The sound is okay, but you can get better for less. I liked the leather cases, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back