Audiofly AF180 Performance Series Impression&Appreciation Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #76 of 160
Well....looks like there's plenty of choices at $550
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #77 of 160
Apr 11, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #78 of 160
I had them replaced.
Four times.
In the end I asked for my money back. Turns out they had faulty BA drivers in the low and mid end. The newest batch sounds good, and the ''good stock'' probably will fix these issues but I can't trust a company that changes its products on the fly, leaving people with the old revisions helpless.

I just bought a AF160 on amazon warehouse deals in germany for around $170. The prices here for AF140-AF180 seem to be quite low compared to prices in other countries and I wonder if thats because of the faulty stock. What kind of problems did the faulty drivers had? How did they exactly sound bad?

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #80 of 160
I had a pair of AF 180. I returned them because the sound was just jumping. I'm hesitating to try a new one or directly change of IEMs. Shame because they are really great...

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #87 of 160
Thinking about getting them.  Can get a good deal on the Sure 535's or the WEstone 40's.  Are the Audibly 180's that much better and if so what are the differences please?  I also was wondering if they came out with that mic'd cable for iPhone.  I really was hoping to be able to use it for my phone too as I'm on the go a bit.  Thanks all. Also, are these always 550 or are there deals anywhere for them?  Thanks.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #88 of 160
I purchased the Shure 535SE and was dissatisfied with how overly bright they sounded. The upper mids and treble were too cold, to the point of being strident. The bass was also lacking warmth and impact.

I immediately started looking for anything else and bought the AF180's about a week later. I felt I had plenty of time to compare the two before returning the Shures and my Audiofly's compared favorably across the spectrum. Plus, they are more comfortable and have better accessories (except for a mic cable). Audiofly never did release a mic cable themselves, unfortunately.

The AF180s are very musical and on the warm side of neutral, with lots of impact throughout the lows and mids and they have plenty of sparkle in the highs. I stopped looking for mid-tier IEMs after I got these and I've been happy with them for over a year.

I just started using an aftermarket cable for these IEMs. They are originally designed with a couple small tabs that match a couple of indentions on the stock cable and are supposed to prevent the wire guides from spinning. After a year the rubber on the stock cable has worn down slightly anyway, so I used a nail file to file the edges around the connector down on the IEM housing (and used a can of air to clear the dust afterwords). The connectors will now fit any MMCX terminated cables. The rest of the stock cable shows little sign of wear after a year, by the way, Audiofly makes some seriously sturdy gear.

I modified them so I could fit a balanced cable for use with an Astell & Kern player. I didn't want to go crazy with the aftermarket cables, since I wasn't sure if it would fit or if I would like the sound. I chose the ALO Audio Tinsel Wire cable and, fortunately, it didn't change the sound signature as much as I have heard with other silver cables. The impact and extension is still there and it skews a little closer to neutral than warm now. It's also traded bass quantity for quality, as I can hear the plucking of the bass string more than the overall volume of the bass notes. There is also a new and wonderful edge to electric guitars and synths that I have not experienced before. I'm not sure which changes are attributable to the cables and which are due to a difference between single ended and balanced, but it doesn't matter, since I have another way to enjoy my favorite UIEMs even more.

To answer ctsooner22's question, which IEM to get will depend on if you favor cold and analytical sound signature (Shure 535) over a musical and versatile one (AF180). A mic cable with MMCX termination can be purchased from an aftermarket dealer and used on the AF180s with a minor modification.

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #89 of 160
Thanks. I want accurate/neutral sound overall, but to me that means true bass.  I want quality and quantity when it's in the recording.  I do listen to a lot of old time rock, plus jazz, vocals, orchestral etc...  I'm very susceptible to fatigue and won't use it if it's disorder on top and so many products are. I don't want things tipped up a db in the upper octaves.  If it's not distorted, you can get even more detail and extension.  I guess I want it all and without going crazy on cost, lol.  I'm also going to need some isolation and it will be used with my iPhone 6 using both WAV hi rez as well as Apple Lossless.  I will be getting an NAD 7050 integrated/headphone DAC/Amp to use in my bedroom system/TV. 

I am all over the board. Right now there is a Massdrop for the UE Ref Monitors. They go for 699 right now.  I can get impressions done for less than 100.  I wasn't going to look at CIEM's, but this seems like a good deal.  I don't know if the Audiofly ever go on sale, but they are 550, but I'd have to get an aftermarket phone cable to use with them when I want to travel.  Will anyone's bluetooth cable or plug in work with these?

I also like what I've read on the Noble Audio Savant.  They go for 599 plus 100 for their BT plug in module.  I like that idea a lot and have been told these sound even better than the Audiofly 180's or anything else in this price range.

Would there be others to look at in this range and should I just stay with universal so I can sell them easier if I want to later on or are the CEIM's (the UERM specifically) THAT much better for soundstage/imaging, detail and accuracy, that it makes sense to basically spend 100 more. Can those even run properly on the iPhone when I"m on the road (I do have a small DAC/amp from headphone.com that I can use with them if needed).  I was told I can get a BT plug in from Noble that will work with the UERM's.  

Thoughts all?  I may even make up a new thread with this post to get others thoughts...thanks all.  Looking forward to responses.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #90 of 160
  Thanks. I want accurate/neutral sound overall, but to me that means true bass.  I want quality and quantity when it's in the recording.  I do listen to a lot of old time rock, plus jazz, vocals, orchestral etc...  I'm very susceptible to fatigue and won't use it if it's disorder on top and so many products are. I don't want things tipped up a db in the upper octaves.  If it's not distorted, you can get even more detail and extension.  I guess I want it all and without going crazy on cost, lol.  I'm also going to need some isolation and it will be used with my iPhone 6 using both WAV hi rez as well as Apple Lossless.  I will be getting an NAD 7050 integrated/headphone DAC/Amp to use in my bedroom system/TV. 

I am all over the board. Right now there is a Massdrop for the UE Ref Monitors. They go for 699 right now.  I can get impressions done for less than 100.  I wasn't going to look at CIEM's, but this seems like a good deal.  I don't know if the Audiofly ever go on sale, but they are 550, but I'd have to get an aftermarket phone cable to use with them when I want to travel.  Will anyone's bluetooth cable or plug in work with these?

I also like what I've read on the Noble Audio Savant.  They go for 599 plus 100 for their BT plug in module.  I like that idea a lot and have been told these sound even better than the Audiofly 180's or anything else in this price range.

Would there be others to look at in this range and should I just stay with universal so I can sell them easier if I want to later on or are the CEIM's (the UERM specifically) THAT much better for soundstage/imaging, detail and accuracy, that it makes sense to basically spend 100 more. Can those even run properly on the iPhone when I"m on the road (I do have a small DAC/amp from headphone.com that I can use with them if needed).  I was told I can get a BT plug in from Noble that will work with the UERM's.  

Thoughts all?  I may even make up a new thread with this post to get others thoughts...thanks all.  Looking forward to responses.

I have tried the SE535 as well as the W40 if I had to choose between that and AF180, I would choose AF180. The focus are in the mids but not the upper mids like the 535 as it can become fatiguing for some people. The vocal presentation is clearer and bass was very warm and I admired that about these. Not to mention one of the most comfortable uiems I have tried. I only had to let them go because I had too many earphones. I have not had a single good experience with bluetooth so I won't say anything there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back