Audioengine A5 vs. KRK Rokit RP6 G2…Nice!!!
Dec 25, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #46 of 72
i see what you're saying and if you compare it like that, there are way too many speakers for you to compare then. I think the most important thing is really getting down to what you need. I can tell you right now that the Swans MKIII will sound like crap bring it outside to your backyard since they aren't designed for that. Swans are very strict with the position and where you sit (standard triangle setup) in order to get the best sound. I've thought about the inputs/outputs as well because maybe during special occasions, i could bring the swans downstairs to the living room and hook it up. However, thought about it, firstly its not gonna sound AS GOOD as nearfield setup, secondly I'm gonna have kids poking at my drivers which definitely ain't happening. I've owned Grados sr80, sr325i and rs1 and I can tell you that you're right, its a different sound signature from grados and swans. Leans towards the Sennheisers but not as dark. Gives a very comfortable and relaxing sound. Bass is there for sure, doesn't lack punch at all, maybe the old MKII lacked it but guarantee the new MKIII with double the power does give full bass.

Anyhow let us know what you end up with, it'll be good to have another Swans MKIII owner here.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
With the inevitable Christmas cash I'll be getting and some leftover funds from my holiday bonus I was deadset on getting a pair of the Swan M200MkIII to try out and compare against the A5's. But the more I researched the more I had to think twice.

Going by reviews on Head-Fi, 6moons and other audio related forums some users slightly questioned the bass. The overall impression I get is that the bass is tight/controlled and works well with the music but might lack punch to some listeners.  I'm not a basshead but listen to enough house/reggae/hip hop to want that 'thump' from time to time. 

Some users likened the sound of Swans to Sennheiser headphones.  I wasn't a big fan of the HD580's I had and replaced them with Grado SR225's, never regretted it. The A5's (to my ears) do seem to liken a comparison to the Grado sound signature (bright//forward sound) .. would I regret buying something compared to something I didn't enjoy in the past when I have what I like now?

Otherwise from that the sound impressions seem to be very very good.  I've started listening to a lot more female vocalists and acoustic style music. The Swans seem perfect for that.

One major difference is flexibility. Swans offer one set of input/outputs. A5+ have 2 sets plus a line in. During the summer I grill/BBQ as much as possible in my free time and like taking the A5's in the backyard and plugging in the iPod to have some music.  I use them on my desk now but before I had them as my TV speakers in my old apartment and had a Squeezebox connected to them. If you plan to use them in a similar setup no need to go to the back of the speaker and switch cables as needed. If you just need them for your computer then not an issue but having the flexibility there is nice if needed.

Minor difference is the warranty. Swan offers 1 year, Audioengine is 3 years.  I've had my A5's for 5 years with no problems.

One category the Swans blow away the Audioengine is appearance.  No contest in my opinion.

vs 

Now I'm left to wonder if I should try them out or not.  I can use that money more wisely on reacquiring some AKG K701 which I've wanted to hear again after coming back to the site ....

Are there any Bay Area Head-Fi'ers who own the Swans who would be interested in meeting up to do a direct sound comparison?

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #47 of 72

Quote:
i see what you're saying and if you compare it like that, there are way too many speakers for you to compare then. I think the most important thing is really getting down to what you need. I can tell you right now that the Swans MKIII will sound like crap bring it outside to your backyard since they aren't designed for that. Swans are very strict with the position and where you sit (standard triangle setup) in order to get the best sound. I've thought about the inputs/outputs as well because maybe during special occasions, i could bring the swans downstairs to the living room and hook it up. However, thought about it, firstly its not gonna sound AS GOOD as nearfield setup, secondly I'm gonna have kids poking at my drivers which definitely ain't happening. I've owned Grados sr80, sr325i and rs1 and I can tell you that you're right, its a different sound signature from grados and swans. Leans towards the Sennheisers but not as dark. Gives a very comfortable and relaxing sound. Bass is there for sure, doesn't lack punch at all, maybe the old MKII lacked it but guarantee the new MKIII with double the power does give full bass.

Anyhow let us know what you end up with, it'll be good to have another Swans MKIII owner here.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the info.  I think you confirming the Grado/Sennheiser link might hold me off until I can find someone to do a comparison with locally. 

Also wanted to thank HeatFan12 for his initial review. Very thorough and well written. It's this thread that made me look into alternatives in the first place.  I have a Guitar Center nearby where I can take a listen to the KRK Rokit 6's but I think the fact their individually powered and their size might hold me off on them.

In the end I'll probably just stick with the A5's and put that money to use in reacquiring the K701 and putting the difference toward an upgrade to my amp/DAC.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #48 of 72
Great review HeatFan12. i'm very new to this field and learn so much by reading your review. By the way, do you ever encounter with the overheat problem from your A5? ( i had read many reviews about it).

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #49 of 72

Quote:
Great review HeatFan12. i'm very new to this field and learn so much by reading your review. By the way, do you ever encounter with the overheat problem from your A5? ( i had read many reviews about it).

Yes, if you play it over a certain decibel over an extensive duration of time, it will overheat and shut down (safety checks). With the new Audio Engine A5+'s, this is not an issue (I have both of these speakers and the KRK is indeed deemed "better" IMHO, not worth the price tag for the "difference" though but I currently have no DAC connected!) since they have a thermal heatsink added to the back of the left speaker.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #54 of 72
hi guys, i currently bought a pair of a5+. After a couple minutes try-out, i found that at very low volume the left ( main ) speaker sound very weak compare to the right speaker sound. Is this normal ? when i turn on high volume, the right speaker is always louder than the left. Please advise. Thank you.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #55 of 72
thats definitely a problem. Its common for volumes not matching up at very low volumes, happens all the time to my logitechs which i hated. Can never listen to it at night. You should go check it with manufacture or where you bought it from.

Quote:
hi guys, i currently bought a pair of a5+. After a couple minutes try-out, i found that at very low volume the left ( main ) speaker sound very weak compare to the right speaker sound. Is this normal ? when i turn on high volume, the right speaker is always louder than the left. Please advise. Thank you.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #56 of 72
Thanks Heatfan12 for the great review, I've been considering buying a pair of active near field speaker and had the Rokits from KRK as my desired option up until recently when I came across some Aktimate Mini speakers.

Price wise both can be found for around $400 here in Australia, both have 5" woofers, the Rokits are independently powered while the Aktimate once speaker is powered and the other is a 'slave', what appealed to me with the Aktimate was the iPod doc as well as several raving reviews when compared to the Audioengine A5.

Since your review compared the Audioengine vs KRK Rokits, giving a small advantage to the Rokits as I see it, I would like to ask those people who either have heard/owned the Aktimates and compared it to the likes of the Rokits. Or maybe just ask people to share their experience with the Aktimate Mini in general.

I plan to use these speaker with either my DACport or standalone ODAC. Cheers

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #58 of 72
Any opinions on the KRK Rokit vs Aktimate Minis please?
Quote:
Thanks Heatfan12 for the great review, I've been considering buying a pair of active near field speaker and had the Rokits from KRK as my desired option up until recently when I came across some Aktimate Mini speakers.

Price wise both can be found for around $400 here in Australia, both have 5" woofers, the Rokits are independently powered while the Aktimate once speaker is powered and the other is a 'slave', what appealed to me with the Aktimate was the iPod doc as well as several raving reviews when compared to the Audioengine A5.

Since your review compared the Audioengine vs KRK Rokits, giving a small advantage to the Rokits as I see it, I would like to ask those people who either have heard/owned the Aktimates and compared it to the likes of the Rokits. Or maybe just ask people to share their experience with the Aktimate Mini in general.

I plan to use these speaker with either my DACport or standalone ODAC. Cheers

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #59 of 72
Thanks again Heatfan12, I just picked up a pair of Rokit 6 and they're rokin' my world literally.

I auditioned both Rokit 5 and 6 and the bottom end of the 6 is just so much better and goes much deeper as well, this is a great set of speakers highly recommended.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:
Thanks again Heatfan12, I just picked up a pair of Rokit 6 and they're rokin' my world literally.

I auditioned both Rokit 5 and 6 and the bottom end of the 6 is just so much better and goes much deeper as well, this is a great set of speakers highly recommended.

Hi willmax,

Thanks....Sorry, been gone for like 6 months from head-fi.  Glad to see you are enjoying them.  I still have both and enjoying them very much as well.  Selling some of my portable amps, so putting my LODs to good use with the A5s....Good times...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back