Audioengine A5 vs. KRK Rokit RP6 G2…Nice!!!
Aug 2, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #16 of 72

Quote:
I recommend the Audio-GD FUN with Earth OPA if you are contemplating the Rokits. I have been running mine with the RP10S from the FUN for months now and the sound is just awesome. Great review heatfan, well written and I'm sure very helpful to people looking at a starter desktop speaker setup.

Thanks Matthew...Great setup you have.  The 6s with the sub must be crazy good....
beerchug.gif

Quote:
HeatFan12, matthewh133

I've been contemplating the Audio-GD FUN, it's quite a bit more expensive than the Matrix Mini-I (+$50). Assuming the FUN offers better audio quality than the Mini-I, would the balanced outputs close this audio quality gap or perhaps even surpass the FUN?

Cheezies, I have had both for a while and you can't go wrong with either.  If you get additional gear in the future, both will accomodate (pre-amp, dac, headamp etc.).
In reference to closing the audio gap between balanced and unbalanced, well that would be personal preference.  I have tried lots of setups the last couple of weeks and both balanced and unbalanced sound great.  If your chain is in order, then it's all good.

Waiting for 6ft. XLR To TRS for 0404USB (using 3ft. now), so I can bring the E-MU up next to the laptop (gets lonely back there).  So, of course in the meantime, played around a little... (I love inputs and outputs...lol...)

Brought up my tube buffer from downstairs and added a little tube love---

E-MU 0404USB (Mini output) --> Tube Buffer (input) --> A5s --> Tube Buffer (output)-->  Foobar ASIO-->  Lossless...........Ran two RCA to Mini (One to 0404 and one to A5s from buffer).

A little Above & Beyond (Anjunabeats Vol. 8)...Good times.....

Absolutely black backround and wonderful sound.  Going to run this for a few hours then try the buffer with the RP6s....

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 72
[size=medium]RP6s in full swing with the tube buffer (Unbalanced- XLR To RCA cables to buffer and Mini To RCA to E-MU).  Sounding great indeed.  [/size]
[size=medium]Explore, explore and explore some more.  We spend our hard earned money on gear.  Take the gear to its full potential and possibilities with all their options.  Foobar & Winamp having a great time -----------[/size]

[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium][/size]

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 72

Quote:
tube buffer or tube pre is more suitable in this setup??

Hello publicholiday,

Well, both are really suitable, and sound great.  I was just trying some things out while I wait for my longer XLR cables.  I'm using my WA2 as a pre to the RP6s as well.  One extra connection using the buffer vs. tube headamp / pre-out.

In terms of which would be more suitable for headphones and speakers, the tube headphone amp / pre-out would make it easier.

Cheers

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #21 of 72
unbalanced to balanced cables aren't a good idea they result in -6db of signal loss, balanced cables have two conductors hot & cold , unbalanced connections have 1 conductor

In a balanced to unbalanced cable the cold conductor is used resulting in a 6db of singal loss, choose either fully balanced or unbalanced if you have to use balanced to unbalanced then there are line level amps so the 6db isn't lost like this http://www.rockfactory.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=pfx-peavia10/4 .

Also prodipe do an excellent range of active monitors, the prodipes are almost the same but slightly better sounding than the krks, they also have more powerful amps and are cheaper to buy.
http://www.prodipe.com/en/products/studio-monitors

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #22 of 72
Thanks for the info JRG...

Trust me, I have wrestled with this dilemma for years, since I purchased my first xlr adapter. I have taken gear to audio shops, spoken to cable makers, retailers, pro audio shops etc. about connecting balanced gear to unbalanced sources. All will agree that the balanced connection would be best due to low to no noise and longer runs with a pure signal. However, sometimes we won't have both input and output gear being balanced or want to try different things, or have more unbalanced sources, so we make due. I also recently spoke to KRK about these different connections before I purchased. Again, agreed on going balanced to balanced would be best, but also advised trying different things would not hurt.

For the most part, feedback I received from various sources was- If there is no noise, ground loops, hum etc. and it sounds good, then no worries or no ill effects to gear.

I remember taking my DacMagic with 2 XLR to RCA adapters and running the DMs balanced outs to a tube amp with RCA cables and they thought I had lost my mind.....lol.....................At that time I had 2 amps with one source (nothing balanced) and wanted to maximize....I just had them listen and I stated "adapters are not only used for pro audio"....They cranked the volume looking for noise and everything was dead quiet...Good times....

Here is the RaneNote article that is filled with great info on balanced....Long but great indeed....

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #23 of 72
For runs of a couple of metres your unlikely to notice a difference between unbalanced and balanced, but for longer 10metre+ runs the balanced cables will reject noise and retain the signal better.

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #25 of 72
They sound much better from 70cm away than they do from further away. KRKs. I also had 0404 and Rokits. sound was very relaxing, crisp and slightly black. DacMagic was a huge improvement to my ears. Much wider soundstage, slightly brighter, not as "lazy" as the emu so more dynamic and overall was more fun.

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #26 of 72

Quote:
Though i can't afford either yet kudos to TS for the efforts and sharing thoughts with us wee~

Thanks very much trog...
beerchug.gif

Quote:
They sound much better from 70cm away than they do from further away. KRKs. I also had 0404 and Rokits. sound was very relaxing, crisp and slightly black. DacMagic was a huge improvement to my ears. Much wider soundstage, slightly brighter, not as "lazy" as the emu so more dynamic and overall was more fun.

Have not had a chance to try my DacMagic with them as of yet.  Trying to use pre-outs first with the gear I have.  Will eventually get around to it...
beerchug.gif

My final setup for now...lol

Needed longer XLR cables for the Matrix and they're on their way, so in the meantime---

Matrix Mini-i (coax) --> Pop Pulse usb / spdif converter -->  tube buffer (Hytron CHY-6AK5s tubes) --> A5s...

beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #28 of 72

Quote:
how does matrix mini i sound?

The Matrix is sounding real nice p.holiday.

Received my XLR cables yesterday and giving it some balanced love with the Rokits.

Matrix Mini-i (Balanced) (BNC) --> A-GD DI (BNC)--> Laptop (Foobar, Kernel Streaming) --> Rokits (Balanced).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back