Audioengine A5 vs. KRK Rokit RP6 G2…Nice!!!
Sep 6, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #31 of 72

Quote:
IMO, i think its not really fair comparison as krk rp6 is bigger than a5. However they definitely are close competitors.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes publicholiday, size ALWAYS matters, however, the A5s don't back down when tested and they are a better option with their connections for DAPs and standalone CDPs...But like you stated they are competitors nevertheless....
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #33 of 72
I've been having a dilemma on these speakers for quite a while now (also looked at the Swans, Aktimate Minis, etc), although I'd say I'm rather over-complicating everything. If I were to not be doing any mass producing or recording, if any at all, should I even be looking at the Rokits?

The price difference between the two would be about $190, Rokit 6's would be $299 each and the A5+'s being $399. I listen to a range of genres, so all is welcome; mainly Hip-Hop, DnB, Alternative, Pop and House. Movies is a weekly occasional thing, along with gaming. Budget is not an issue, although I don't want to be investing in something that I might not need to the full extent; don't want something over-kill to be specific.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #34 of 72
Audioengine does allow a 30 day audition. You're looking at $25-35 in possible return shipping costs but I think once you hear them you'll just end up keeping them. :wink:

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #35 of 72
http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-6-Generation-2-Studio-Monitor--Each--105130256-i1401613.gc 

That link has the Rokit's for $199 each with free shipping and a 30 day demo as well. 

Good opportunity to put them up head to head for a month ....

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #36 of 72
I've been having a dilemma on these speakers for quite a while now (also looked at the Swans, Aktimate Minis, etc), although I'd say I'm rather over-complicating everything. If I were to not be doing any mass producing or recording, if any at all, should I even be looking at the Rokits?

The price difference between the two would be about $190, Rokit 6's would be $299 each and the A5+'s being $399. I listen to a range of genres, so all is welcome; mainly Hip-Hop, DnB, Alternative, Pop and House. Movies is a weekly occasional thing, along with gaming. Budget is not an issue, although I don't want to be investing in something that I might not need to the full extent; don't want something over-kill to be specific.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,

The audio engine's are really over-hyped rather than blindly follow the hype you should try some other speakers, If you have a hifi shop near you you should go and check out some passive bookshelf speakers and amps, for $400 you can easily get a better set-up than the a5's, active speakers you should look at the behringers b1030a or b1031a , techinally there just as good as the krks but cost alot less.

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #37 of 72

Quote:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-6-Generation-2-Studio-Monitor--Each--105130256-i1401613.gc 

That link has the Rokit's for $199 each with free shipping and a 30 day demo as well. 

Good opportunity to put them up head to head for a month ....

I reside in Australia and Guitar Center does not deliver the Rokits here unfortunately.

Quote:
The audio engine's are really over-hyped rather than blindly follow the hype you should try some other speakers, If you have a hifi shop near you you should go and check out some passive bookshelf speakers and amps, for $400 you can easily get a better set-up than the a5's, active speakers you should look at the behringers b1030a or b1031a , techinally there just as good as the krks but cost alot less.

Other monitors such as the Mackies, Yamahas and Rolands are the ones at my local store although I find no interest in them based on research. Looks like I'm back to the KRKs, cheers.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #38 of 72
Hi Danny,

The Rokits will rock your world sir.  As long as they are connected properly (use a dac and pre to control volume).  You ever go balanced, you'll be ready.  If you want a second opinion, PM Optimus Praim.  We have communicated recently and he was really pleased with the Rokits...

Cheers!!!!

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #39 of 72
i got a pair of A5+, and i ABSOLUTELY love them. but after reading this post, i kinda wish i had known about the rokits before buying the A5+. at least then, i could've went to a local guitar center and heard the sound of the rokits before buying the A5+. this is especially since i use my A5+ mainly for nearfield listening, and i know that the rokits are meant for that type of listening. but then again, since the rokits are studio monitors, don't they sound a little too accurate? what i mean is that the A5's are meant to be more like hi-fi speakers and make any music sound good, while the rokits are meant to show any flaws that might exist in music. and for casual listening, i'd think that the A5's would sound more relaxed and better in most occasions. maybe this is just me hoping that the A5's do actually sound better than the rokits, haha.   

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #41 of 72
Another Swans M200 MKIII fan here, much better than the AudioEngines for sure. They are indeed a bit over hyped, the swans are much more musical and better for the money.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #43 of 72
Anyone know of a vendor that offers an audition period for the Swans?

I'm wondering if the people who say the A5s are overhyped have compared, let alone listen, to the speakers in a controlled environment?

If the Swans really are that much better I'm thinking about moving the A5's out to the living room to use as fronts for my TV and hooking up a Squeezebox that's just been sitting for a couple years now.

I will say that the Swans have a HUGE advantage in aesthetics. They are a beautiful looking speaker.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #44 of 72
Audio insider has a 30 day guarantee. You could audition the full line of Swans if you wanted.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Anyone know of a vendor that offers an audition period for the Swans?

I'm wondering if the people who say the A5s are overhyped have compared, let alone listen, to the speakers in a controlled environment?

If the Swans really are that much better I'm thinking about moving the A5's out to the living room to use as fronts for my TV and hooking up a Squeezebox that's just been sitting for a couple years now.

I will say that the Swans have a HUGE advantage in aesthetics. They are a beautiful looking speaker.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #45 of 72
With the inevitable Christmas cash I'll be getting and some leftover funds from my holiday bonus I was deadset on getting a pair of the Swan M200MkIII to try out and compare against the A5's. But the more I researched the more I had to think twice.

Going by reviews on Head-Fi, 6moons and other audio related forums some users slightly questioned the bass. The overall impression I get is that the bass is tight/controlled and works well with the music but might lack punch to some listeners.  I'm not a basshead but listen to enough house/reggae/hip hop to want that 'thump' from time to time. 

Some users likened the sound of Swans to Sennheiser headphones.  I wasn't a big fan of the HD580's I had and replaced them with Grado SR225's, never regretted it. The A5's (to my ears) do seem to liken a comparison to the Grado sound signature (bright//forward sound) .. would I regret buying something compared to something I didn't enjoy in the past when I have what I like now?

Otherwise from that the sound impressions seem to be very very good.  I've started listening to a lot more female vocalists and acoustic style music. The Swans seem perfect for that.

One major difference is flexibility. Swans offer one set of input/outputs. A5+ have 2 sets plus a line in. During the summer I grill/BBQ as much as possible in my free time and like taking the A5's in the backyard and plugging in the iPod to have some music.  I use them on my desk now but before I had them as my TV speakers in my old apartment and had a Squeezebox connected to them. If you plan to use them in a similar setup no need to go to the back of the speaker and switch cables as needed. If you just need them for your computer then not an issue but having the flexibility there is nice if needed.

Minor difference is the warranty. Swan offers 1 year, Audioengine is 3 years.  I've had my A5's for 5 years with no problems.

One category the Swans blow away the Audioengine is appearance.  No contest in my opinion.

vs 

Now I'm left to wonder if I should try them out or not.  I can use that money more wisely on reacquiring some AKG K701 which I've wanted to hear again after coming back to the site ....

Are there any Bay Area Head-Fi'ers who own the Swans who would be interested in meeting up to do a direct sound comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back