Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Dec 13, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #136 of 916
Hi folks,
A birdie came at my window chirping about the HydraHub and about its planned January 2021 release.
If you think you've heard the best Vox could deliver, wait until you try it with the Hub. I'll just say that finally the best delta-sigma DACs were outperformed at their own game: detail retrieval.

I just wanted to say I am very impressed by your reviews, I have recently bought the following products based on your reviews.

1) Topping A90
2) Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro
3) Benchmark HPA4 (I was going to get the LA4 but your review convinced me to give headphones a try)

All three of the above are amazing at what I used them for. The HPA4 in particular is stunning.

I long had the AudioByte stack as a potential "spend more money that I want to DAC". Your review on the VOX and ZAP really piqued my interest. Looking forward to the review of the complete AudioByte stack.

Dec 18, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #137 of 916
Hello Everyone!

I'll be collecting my Vox/Zap on Sunday.

I'm really happy to see that existing owners are happy with the VOX.

Minor point, I found out about the VOX on VERASTARR's / OCD HI-Fi Guy channel on YouTube.
Would never have known about the VOX without seeing his videos.
I don't agree with everything he says; I remain to be conviced that a $300 power plug will aid in audio Nevana for example. But, I think he's on point regarding the VOX.

I have a question for owners regarding the firmware update procedure.

I have a Allo USBridge Sig running MoOde audio. MPD is set with no volume and no EQ.
Does anyone know if that config is OK to use when applying a firmware update to the VOX?

Thank you for your time,

Lono

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #138 of 916
Hello Everyone!

Minor point, I found out about the VOX on VERASTARR's / OCD HI-Fi Guy channel on YouTube.
I don't agree with everything he says; I remain to be conviced that a $300 power plug will aid in audio Nevana for example. But, I think he's on point regarding the VOX.

I have a Allo USBridge Sig running MoOde audio. MPD is set with no volume and no EQ.
Does anyone know if that config is OK to use when applying a firmware update to the VOX?

Thank you for your time,

Lono

I would contact AudioByte and ask them directly. they are quick to respond.

I am looking forward to hear your observations. I plan on getting the 3 unit stack as soon as finances permit. -

Dec 18, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #139 of 916
Hello Everyone!

Thank you for your time,

Lono
Congratulations on your purchase of the Vox Lono , so far I am very happy with my new Vox and just recently had an absolutely fabulous experience using the headphone section of the Vox , you can read about my brief experience in the HiFiman HE 1000 LE thread here on Head-Fi . Further I find the Vox dac to perform way above its retail price and so far I am experiencing the best playback I have heard in my home .

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #140 of 916
Lono

First of all congratulations!

Its on your manual page 9. Your can download the manual and other stuffs at the bottom of their product page here: need to be bitperfect at full volume ( 0db ), no EQ, no DSP, no inverting of channels. For FW download, contact Nicolai on their contact page.

Sandu's review is totally on point!

@Palyodgree

Glad your enjoying it man, as I am.

@yyzSB

You won't regret it as WE are!

For Audiobyte Hydra Vox owners. If you haven't, you can register your Vox here.
For the moment there are nothing in their download section.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #141 of 916
I usually just troll or buy things around here, but I have been following ya'll and thought I'd give some input with my limited experience. I'm not a headphone guy, nor do I have golden ears. This is about my experience with use in my listening rig. I had used a slightly modified by Dr. Poon Monarchy 22A DAC that he installed a 1704UK BurrBrown chip in with my setup for years. I would probably say 7 years. Besides that, I have heard EAD 7000 MKIII, EVS Millenium II, and most recently a Denafrips Terminator. The Terminator was not in my system though. Additionally, when I was considering a new DAC, I listened to 3 DACs in OCD Mikey's main rig-Vermeer, AGD Adante and Audiobyte. I'm not in a position to shuffle in and out a lot of different gear regularly/constantly. When I do get a piece, I try to be contented with and make the best of it. Typically when I get something, it is going to be in for a long while. Over stock sources, Monarchy was definitely an improvement. It made music sound more weighty and musical. Weighty is the main descriptive word for sure. Next, I would also say a smoother sound with that weight. Soundstage and detail were not found in abundance in my opinion and I just was always wanting more. What do you expect from a 20 yr old DAC? I know.
About 3 years ago, I took a new job that required travel, so I picked up a Chord Mojo to accompany some noise canceling PSB headphones for use during plane rides and hotel stays. One day I swapped the Monarchy & Mojo in and out of my system to compare them. Again, I do not have golden ears, but from all the ravings over the Chord I thought I was going to be blown away, but that didn't happen at all. I honestly could not figure out what all the fuss was about. I might even go as far as to say that the Monarchy had more meat on the bones, but it was very close. I didn't find an improvement in soundstage, detail, or any other audiophile descriptor. I continued on with the Monarchy for 3 more years.
I watch Youtube quite a bit these days and discovered OCD Hi-Fi Guy's channel. I found out that he was based in Atlanta and I have to travel their monthly, so I talked to him and he was more than welcoming. I listened to a 20 or 30 thousand dollar (not sure which) Vermeer DAC, the AGD Adante which I believe is in the 15 thousand range, and the Audiobyte Vox/Zap. All three sounded really great. I couldn't hear much difference between the 3. Between the most expensive Vermeer and Audiobyte, I actually said to Mikey, I can't really hear that much of a difference. He said, I know, crazy, right!?! In my opinion, the Vox was AT LEAST 90% of that 20-30 thousand dollar DAC. Again, take this for what you will with my limited experience. Mikey didn't know me from Adam, but accepted a down payment only, and let me walk out the door with the DAC to try at home for myself. I couldn't believe it!
This is getting too long. Let's cut to the chase. In my system at home, I have never heard music sound so good as I have with the Audiobyte. I just want to listen and listen to music. The soundstage width/depth, amount of detail, texture, attack/decay, and sense of space are all amazing. What else? You name it. It's there. It's just very fun to listen to. There may be a slight amount of weight missing compared to the the Monarchy, maybe, but everything else is just SO good. Remember, I listened to the Terminator in a different system so this is like comparing apples and oranges, but there may have been slightly more weight to that one too. Hard to say, not a fair comparison. Maybe it is just something that I pick up on using a ladder DAC compared to one with an FPGA chip-IDK. What I do know is that I have no regrets with the Vox/Zap. Keep this in mind too, my source is only a 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro using a USB connection and streaming Amazon Music HD. Up until a month ago, I wasn't even getting the HD part. I think that this DAC can make anything sound musically enjoyable!

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #142 of 916
Its on your manual page 9. Your can download the manual and other stuffs at the bottom of their product page here: need to be bitperfect at full volume ( 0db ), no EQ, no DSP, no inverting of channels. For FW download, contact Nicolai on their contact page.

That is an interesting point. I am currently using Convolution filters running on my ROON Server. However, I believe this point is concerning the computer with the firmware update file that is then connected by USB to the DAC. I would have to disconnect my Sonore microRendu and connect directly to the update computer by USB.

The only thing that I do not like about the VOX spec wise is that it is noisier than the rest of my audio chain.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #143 of 916
That is an interesting point. I am currently using Convolution filters running on my ROON Server. However, I believe this point is concerning the computer with the firmware update file that is then connected by USB to the DAC. I would have to disconnect my Sonore microRendu and connect directly to the update computer by USB.

- Ask directly Nicolai, he answers normally a day or two.

The only thing that I do not like about the VOX spec wise is that it is noisier than the rest of my audio chain.

- Bro, it's not all what is written, it's what you hear. Take the guy's :point_up: (@rynopr ) experience for example.

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #144 of 916
I usually just troll or buy things around here, but I have been following ya'll and thought I'd give some input with my limited experience. I'm not a headphone guy, nor do I have golden ears. This is about my experience with use in my listening rig. I had used a slightly modified by Dr. Poon Monarchy 22A DAC that he installed a 1704UK BurrBrown chip in with my setup for years. I would probably say 7 years. Besides that, I have heard EAD 7000 MKIII, EVS Millenium II, and most recently a Denafrips Terminator. The Terminator was not in my system though. Additionally, when I was considering a new DAC, I listened to 3 DACs in OCD Mikey's main rig-Vermeer, AGD Adante and Audiobyte. I'm not in a position to shuffle in and out a lot of different gear regularly/constantly. When I do get a piece, I try to be contented with and make the best of it. Typically when I get something, it is going to be in for a long while. Over stock sources, Monarchy was definitely an improvement. It made music sound more weighty and musical. Weighty is the main descriptive word for sure. Next, I would also say a smoother sound with that weight. Soundstage and detail were not found in abundance in my opinion and I just was always wanting more. What do you expect from a 20 yr old DAC? I know.
About 3 years ago, I took a new job that required travel, so I picked up a Chord Mojo to accompany some noise canceling PSB headphones for use during plane rides and hotel stays. One day I swapped the Monarchy & Mojo in and out of my system to compare them. Again, I do not have golden ears, but from all the ravings over the Chord I thought I was going to be blown away, but that didn't happen at all. I honestly could not figure out what all the fuss was about. I might even go as far as to say that the Monarchy had more meat on the bones, but it was very close. I didn't find an improvement in soundstage, detail, or any other audiophile descriptor. I continued on with the Monarchy for 3 more years.
I watch Youtube quite a bit these days and discovered OCD Hi-Fi Guy's channel. I found out that he was based in Atlanta and I have to travel their monthly, so I talked to him and he was more than welcoming. I listened to a 20 or 30 thousand dollar (not sure which) Vermeer DAC, the AGD Adante which I believe is in the 15 thousand range, and the Audiobyte Vox/Zap. All three sounded really great. I couldn't hear much difference between the 3. Between the most expensive Vermeer and Audiobyte, I actually said to Mikey, I can't really hear that much of a difference. He said, I know, crazy, right!?! In my opinion, the Vox was AT LEAST 90% of that 20-30 thousand dollar DAC. Again, take this for what you will with my limited experience. Mikey didn't know me from Adam, but accepted a down payment only, and let me walk out the door with the DAC to try at home for myself. I couldn't believe it!
This is getting too long. Let's cut to the chase. In my system at home, I have never heard music sound so good as I have with the Audiobyte. I just want to listen and listen to music. The soundstage width/depth, amount of detail, texture, attack/decay, and sense of space are all amazing. What else? You name it. It's there. It's just very fun to listen to. There may be a slight amount of weight missing compared to the the Monarchy, maybe, but everything else is just SO good. Remember, I listened to the Terminator in a different system so this is like comparing apples and oranges, but there may have been slightly more weight to that one too. Hard to say, not a fair comparison. Maybe it is just something that I pick up on using a ladder DAC compared to one with an FPGA chip-IDK. What I do know is that I have no regrets with the Vox/Zap. Keep this in mind too, my source is only a 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro using a USB connection and streaming Amazon Music HD. Up until a month ago, I wasn't even getting the HD part. I think that this DAC can make anything sound musically enjoyable!
I would love to listen to Mike’s “OCDHiFi guys“ system Im sure it must of been a thrill,. My exposure to the AudioByte Vox was simply an online purchase ,the fellow invited me in for a beer and chat . I never heard of AudioByte and vaguely new about Rockna Audio .
Long story short I ended up borrowing his Vox for a weekend and a couple months later the Vox replaced my PS Audio Direct stream dac senior.

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #145 of 916
- Ask directly Nicolai, he answers normally a day or two.

- Bro, it's not all what is written, it's what you hear. Take the guy's :point_up: (@rynopr ) experience for example.

I do understand and I will be getting the AudioByte stack. I will have 2 DACs then to compare site to site with my XLR based HPA4 preamp. My DAC3B is quieter and runs at 22+ dBU levels on the XLR's. I think the AudioByte is 14 dBU. Whatever the case I will be keeping both DACs and enjoying both. If not for the fact that a second Benchmark AHB2 amp is higher priority I would be ordering in January. Now likely in Spring. I am expecting to get the HUB too and will be looking forward to feedback on that unit. The tech on this 3 unit stack is amazing.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #146 of 916
I do understand and I will be getting the AudioByte stack. I will have 2 DACs then to compare site to site with my XLR based HPA4 preamp. My DAC3B is quieter and runs at 22+ dBU levels on the XLR's. I think the AudioByte is 14 dBU. Whatever the case I will be keeping both DACs and enjoying both. If not for the fact that a second Benchmark AHB2 amp is higher priority I would be ordering in January. Now likely in Spring. I am expecting to get the HUB too and will be looking forward to feedback on that unit. The tech on this 3 unit stack is amazing.
yyzSB I read your concern , just to let you know I had the Vox connected XLR to a pair of Lamm M2.1 mono blocks to a pair of Gershman Grand Avant speakers pushing the gain near max produced nothing , I then plugged in my headphones and pushed the gain to 0.0 dB = completely dead silent .

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #147 of 916
yyzSB I read your concern , just to let you know I had the Vox connected XLR to a pair of Lamm M2.1 mono blocks to a pair of Gershman Grand Avant speakers pushing the gain near max produced nothing , I then plugged in my headphones and pushed the gain to 0.0 dB = completely dead silent .

Thanks, that is very important to me. I have total silence now and do not want to add any audible noise. It is incredible how deep you can hear into the music when it comes out of a totally silent system. I am about 75% 2 channel and 25% headphones and the silence matters equally on both.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #148 of 916
Thanks, that is very important to me. I have total silence now and do not want to add any audible noise. It is incredible how deep you can hear into the music when it comes out of a totally silent system. I am about 75% 2 channel and 25% headphones and the silence matters equally on both.
Everyone is aware addressing rooms AC with dedicated lines should be done and just recently my dealer offered a home trial of a Ac conditioner , Puritan for my digital front end and to my surprise it did a better job then a large Ac regenerator I used just recently I see the OCDHiFiguy reviews the Puritan brand on his YouTube channel.
Of course listening to familiar recordings subtle details are much more readily heard adding to the listening experience.,. Using headphones I’m about the same percentage wise maybe a little more now .

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #149 of 916
Everyone is aware addressing rooms AC with dedicated lines should be done and just recently my dealer offered a home trial of a Ac conditioner , Puritan for my digital front end and to my surprise it did a better job then a large Ac regenerator I used just recently I see the OCDHiFiguy reviews the Puritan brand on his YouTube channel.
Of course listening to familiar recordings subtle details are much more readily heard adding to the listening experience.,. Using headphones I’m about the same percentage wise maybe a little more now .

I have been using a Torus RM 15 for about a decade now. It seems to work well and my power coming into the house seems clean already. The biggest improvement I have had for my office system was the recent implementation of Convolution files to run on my ROON server. This was professionally done for my 2 channel system. When I run headphones I turned the Convolution engine in ROON off. Here is a photo of my room to show the difficulties of having a small square-ish room, with a big speaker, and off center sitting. The sound with the Convolution is stunning, perfect actually. Upgrading the DAC and more amp power are going to be very minor upgrades.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7605

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #150 of 916
I have been using a Torus RM 15 for about a decade now. It seems to work well and my power coming into the house seems clean already. The biggest improvement I have had for my office system was the recent implementation of Convolution files to run on my ROON server. This was professionally done for my 2 channel system. When I run headphones I turned the Convolution engine in ROON off. Here is a photo of my room to show the difficulties of having a small square-ish room, with a big speaker, and off center sitting. The sound with the Convolution is stunning, perfect actually. Upgrading the DAC and more amp power are going to be very minor upgrades.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7605
It real can be difficult adjusting to a not so great space ,.Our current down sized home has 7 foot ceilings in the basement that the previous owner used as some sort of work shop. I’m not happy with my main system set up there , the 7 ceilings are a real drag .I’m looking into local bylaws to add a 2nd floor to the double garage , there I can listen and not bother others.

If you do decide on the Hydra Vox I think you will be happy with it , my current front end is so far beyond what I had previously , To be fair my previous digital front end components by comparison what I use now turned out to be nothing more then a expensive mediocre performing components with a large devoted fan base ,,..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back