Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Sep 28, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #106 of 916
Have you tried "Direct DSD" on your Vox and use your preamp for volume control?

Update: My Vox.Dac is back! No more pops (for now)! And those clicks during transitions is not loud anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #108 of 916
Yeah that i said using the volume control of you're preamp. It will be very loud because it bypases completely the preamp section. It is more "direct" so to speak.

Just asking your comments and experience.

Yeah before the FW fix, the clicks and pops were annoying.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #109 of 916
anyone want to talk how this DAC sounds to NOS or R2R like Denafrips ? I am seriously looking to upgrade from my Topping D90 after hearing my friends Db Labs NOS DAC- thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #110 of 916
If you read some posts back, joyck888 posted his experience coming from a Denafrips Terminator.

Oct 3, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #111 of 916
I sold away terminator, in the plan for t plus upgrade. After hearing Vox, to me clear jump from the terminator so brainer to move to this. The form factor of size, sound, and headphone amp is another plus. Pre section is good... all this before even adding hub. Anyways but the decision was fairly easy once I heard the Vox. Does everything well... but pace and details to be much better than Terminator. Wavelight also very impressive but VOX has more potential moving fwd anticipation for hub coming. Terminator is a good dac and some still might prefer the tone and presentation. The only way is to listen and see.. what u like. I didn't like the audiobyte in the dealer setup since using bad quality spdif feed and I2S is another level.

how u find wavelight versus vox ah? resolution and detail better on wavelight?

Oct 4, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #112 of 916
The dealer set up was poor... after reading VOX and hearing Vox at the dealer didn't do justice. Wavelight... from the dealer listening sounded more organic to me. VOX , I manage to get it home for the trial. At home setting, much better sounding than Wavelight, and with I2S another big jump. I am betting is with the Hub combo with the Vox setup.

So far no regret, positive points. Excellent Pre, headphone amp, and adding hub will be a big step up to another level( basing on the quality of VOX from audiobyte).

Too bad that the hub only works with the power supply provided by audio byte. Maybe can connect to wavelight and works even better ..who knows.

The dealer's preference was VOX over the wavelight and even the rockna wavedream. Through I2S, I hear more resolution and details in good ways.

Now I am used to sounding already so it's very hard to get the wow as when I initially started.

Definitely hearing more of Diana dry saliva between lips smacking sound..haha. I had many wow moments of details, natural-sounding, able to keep pace with the music.

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #113 of 916
Hello everyone,

i'm seeing in the thread image gallery, someone who posted an image of an hydra vox alongside a Chord Qutest and a M Scaler ?
I don't know how to identify the poster of the image, but my question is how does the Qutest compare to the Audiobyte Hydra Vox.
Is it anywhere close, or it is playing in different leagues?

Second question, do you know a good streamer that can output I2s via HDMI compatible with the Vox and would worth the buy against the future Hub. I mean i'm not ready to drop another 1500€ for the streamer, and i feel that my raspberry 4 (via USB) would be the bottleneck of my system. I would like to find something in between.

Thank you in advance.

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #114 of 916
Hello everyone,

i'm seeing in the thread image gallery, someone who posted an image of an hydra vox alongside a Chord Qutest and a M Scaler ?
I don't know how to identify the poster of the image, but my question is how does the Qutest compare to the Audiobyte Hydra Vox.
Is it anywhere close, or it is playing in different leagues?

Second question, do you know a good streamer that can output I2s via HDMI compatible with the Vox and would worth the buy against the future Hub. I mean i'm not ready to drop another 1500€ for the streamer, and i feel that my raspberry 4 (via USB) would be the bottleneck of my system. I would like to find something in between.

Thank you in advance.
I'd look at a Pi2AES for that Pi. http://www.pi2design.com/store/p19/PI2AES_-_PRO_AUDIO_SHIELD.html

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #118 of 916
Ok emailed Nicolae for some questions:

1.Any update on the Hydra.Hub? (maybe lots are asking?)
HUB is towards final development stage. Hopefully in production this year.

2.Tried connecting Hydra.Vox to Android (via an Android TV Box as player/streamer using UAPP/Neutron MP). It will only play upto DSD128 DoP. Will this be true to Hydra.Hub also?
Currently DSD256/512 are available via ASIO driver (W10), but we're working on a solution to have in Linux/Android as well.
Hub should work DSD512 in all cases.

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #120 of 916
IMO, with my cans, a bit on the lean side. Wanted to have it a bit grit/oomph if you will. Its like a reving large V4 or normal V6. Hoping it to be a V8 at least.

Its a bipolar discrete design with a max power of 3W/16 ohms. So it will drive, yes. Well?...hmmm, we're picky here. We know that headphone amps on DACs are mostly for conveniency. What is also important is synergy. Don't have those cans so I can't comment. Maybe the other few who have the DAC can chime in more.

Will surely ad a external amplifier down the road.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back