Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Oct 26, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #121 of 916
IMO, with my cans, a bit on the lean side. Wanted to have it a bit grit/oomph if you will. Its like a reving large V4 or normal V6. Hoping it to be a V8 at least.

Its a bipolar discrete design with a max power of 3W/16 ohms. So it will drive, yes. Well?...hmmm, we're picky here. We know that headphone amps on DACs are mostly for conveniency. What is also important is synergy. Don't have those cans so I can't comment. Maybe the other few who have the DAC can chime in more.

Will surely ad a external amplifier down the road.
Yeah you won't get much oomph out of the headphone output. It's pretty much disabled on my unit. Most 3rd party amps are better IMO.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #122 of 916
How is the amp on the Hydra Vox ? Can it drive hd800 and various ZMF headphones well ?

I have the Vox with the ZMF Verite Closed and it drives it well, listening usually at -20 dB. YMMV, but it works for me and I am not planning on adding a dedicated headphone amplifier for now. My first addition would be the Hub.

etg7Nrb.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #123 of 916
Yeah HUB first!...Where's the HUB? :thinking:

Nov 15, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #125 of 916
Nov 20, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #126 of 916
Yeah HUB first!...Where's the HUB? :thinking:
Thank you for starting this topic ,.I find the AudioByte Vox a tremendous performer whether driving my older Lamm mono block amplifiers or using the headphone section. Though I’m new at using headphones I thought joining Head-fi the next logical step to learning more about headphones though I purchased these Lawton modified Fostex TH-900 used I find them fairly good with a wide range of music someday I’ll check out other offerings.
and here’s a snap shot of the Vox’s temporary spot.
4A1945C8-603E-4CD6-95FE-4EEFCF87AE13.jpeg

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #128 of 916
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #129 of 916
For anyone interested I pointed a infrared thermometer at areas of the power supplies of the Vox‘s Zap and got a reading of just under 105 degrees. Thats not too bad I’ve had class A amplifiers heat my room of a amplifier temperature of over 130 degrees however as most know heat will shorten parts life span .

For those like me with a anal retentive personality I use a little computer whisper fan with a measured noise level of 9 dB .....More importantly I’m really liking my Vox ,..

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #130 of 916
Hi folks,
A birdie came at my window chirping about the HydraHub and about its planned January 2021 release.
If you think you've heard the best Vox could deliver, wait until you try it with the Hub. I'll just say that finally the best delta-sigma DACs were outperformed at their own game: detail retrieval.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #131 of 916
Hi folks,
A birdie came at my window chirping about the HydraHub and about its planned January 2021 release.
If you think you've heard the best Vox could deliver, wait until you try it with the Hub. I'll just say that finally the best delta-sigma DACs were outperformed at their own game: detail retrieval.
I really wonder how it will compare to the Wavelight combo

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #132 of 916
Hi folks,

Thanks for the heads up Sandu! Can't wait!

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #135 of 916
Anyone here use or have tried the HiFiman HE 1000SE with the Vox ? ,.I hope they’re good together I just bought a used 1000se today on a whim from a Headfi member...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back