Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #151 of 916
Since you are not happy with your room, and if you use ROON or JRiver for digital. Take a look at this thread where I describe what I did with Digital Room Correction using DSP. I outsourced the work ($700) to a professional and the sound is perfect. Follow the links I provided to get the details (esp the link to ComputerAudio.com).

This is my post but read the thread to give proper context.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...ew-room-eq-wizard/post?postid=2064340#2064340

The Hydra VOX is a done deal as far as I am concerned. I am putting the DAC research to bed and just getting that once the money is available.

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #152 of 916
Since you are not happy with your room, and if you use ROON or JRiver for digital. Take a look at this thread where I describe what I did with Digital Room Correction using DSP. I outsourced the work ($700) to a professional and the sound is perfect. Follow the links I provided to get the details (esp the link to ComputerAudio.com).

This is my post but read the thread to give proper context.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...ew-room-eq-wizard/post?postid=2064340#2064340

The Hydra VOX is a done deal as far as I am concerned. I am putting the DAC research to bed and just getting that once the money is available.
Currently I use Roon only for management no streaming as of yet , I have such a large library of music ripped I’ll do some streaming in the New Year and will definitely take your advice . ,....However I’m always the bad guy when listening to my main system ,.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #153 of 916
Currently I use Roon only for management no streaming as of yet , I have such a large library of music ripped I’ll do some streaming in the New Year and will definitely take your advice . I’m always the bad guy when listening to my main system ,.
I do not want to derail this thread further. Contact me via A'gon if you want to discuss this DRC setup further, it offers some incredible improvement for low dollars. I think you would want to get the ROON READY AudioByte HUB to make the streaming seamless.

https://accuratesound.ca/dsp

BTW - I have about 400 CDs converted to FLAC and I use ROON to stream that too. So for me everything is considered streaming.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #154 of 916
Hey guys, just posted both reviews one minute ago, you can check them here. Enjoy!
I’m only a few months late however better late then never ,...Now that I’m sure my new purchases have thoroughly run in and are firing on all cylinders I would like to say Darku I find your analysis review of the Vox highly competent and insightful at communicating what the Vox is all about , I wholeheartedly agree..,..***Edit*** I also want to mention Daniel of HeadMania for his skilful review of the Vox, well done .

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #155 of 916
Yeah! On point!

Dec 24, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #157 of 916
Those videos don't hold any credibility as they are from the dealer of these products. There's also the added bonus that he viciously attacks people that disagree with him in the comments and his opinions are always colored by his racist views.
This is pretty bold Character assassination. Lets ask my clients about my service. How about you do a googlewide search for anyone upset with me ? You are simply a hater. Im not a guy to take jerks talking smack online, so if they want to fight and call me names and say ridiculous things I will let them have it . Its called standing up for yourself. Thje reason my videos hold cred is I ONLY carry brands that are excellent for one reason or another . This DAC is made by ROCKNA one of HiFis "behind the scenes " design team, they have done work for Goldmund, Wadia, MSB Tech to name a few, so the product is excellent , beats most any other thing under $8K , has an outboard power supply and native resolution is DSD 512...
If I was racist would I allow strangers of other races into my home to have a demonstration ? No I would not and you can see in my videos the people that come by for a demo.. All races.. so your statement is ridiculous.

Dec 24, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #158 of 916
Hmm, I have since heard similar comments from other people who had dealt with this dealer.
This is an outright lie. anybody that "deals" with me gets some of the best service in the industry. I have many policies that favor clients first, before anything . Find one bad review of me from someone that has done business with me anywhere on the internet. zero exist, because I am a great dealer as well as consultant. Why people may not like me is because I say it like I feel it, and I do not act in a certain way in order to earn business that is different from how I regularly am. I am Genuine and I get feisty when trolls talk crap to me. I am not intimidated and I mow them over if they need it. My member based, thousands big, HiFi enthusiast group is the proof in the pudding . I also expose HiFi BS that we do in the industry to hustle the buyer because I stand for our hobby and we are scaring the new blood away from the industry with the old ass way of hustling. I like to educate the newbies , not keep them in the dark. So I speak out against the corporate BS HiFi that has been bought by investment bankers, the quality is far less than when the founder was there , yet its the most advertised and marketed product for obvious reasons. I support the smaller companies where the founder is still there and the quality is better and the gear costs less. This is not a popular way to talk about things , but its true and I stand up for those that dont know any better. Truth always brings haters, as the truth usually hurts. I am providing a quality service and I lean to the buyers side more than the industry's side. This causes people to get uptight sometimes.

Dec 24, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #159 of 916
Yep, like Denafrips. When he was their dealer he was all glory with the product. And when they dropped him. He was all trash talking with it.

Yes, I know who, what kind he is. BUT dealer or not, bad guy or not. Well, he might be lying even. BUT he is selling too most of those products in the videos. So I don't think its rigged.

Unless you can give me another link of a video comparison of Audiobyte Hydra.Vox to other DACs or even a Rockna that doesn't come from him so please post ...

If not, as i said on putting those links, take it for what it is...

BUT again that is not more the case, as far as I am concern. Because I BOUGHT ONE.
What Sandu was saying in his review in Soundnews or Dan's at Headmania and the things your hearing in YT are TRUE.
Again, complete disinformation spoken by someone who clearly has no idea what he talks about yet speaks as if he does know. I was the sole USA based Importer of all 3 brands, Denafrips, Jays Audio and Kinki Studio. Since me there has not been another. That ought to tell you something if they reject every other dealer trying to get the product except me ... they had to trust me implicitly. I made the decision to stop importing the product. It was taking up all my time as I like to talk with my clients and buyers, I stop what Im doing and give them my time. I never trash talked the brand ever, show proof. I think the Audiobyte Vox /Zap DAC that this thread is about is a better DAC Design than Terminator, and I will say it if people ask. But I never trash talk the brand. There's a very clear distinction between not liking something and trash talking. If you even watch my videos people get upset because I DONT say which is best until recently because people wanted me to again and again.. , I normally let the viewers decide, because we all know that every dealer thinks his brands are best. and they all want to sell you their stuff., There's nothing abnormal about that. Its the same with anybody selling anything . Thats why I never stated what I thought , I simply made it available for you to decide. Maybe we should consider the time and effort I go through to produce these videos for no pay. I dont ask for money for support, and I do not monetize YouTube at all, not one penny. So the people know Im not doing this for the money. seems like you just expect people to do it for you and then you criticize and spread misinformation. Its sad really and why most company founders will go nowhere near a forum. You could have the greats of the industry providing answers and advice for free, but the assassination trolls are not worth it for them. I feel compelled to stand for myself against lies.

Dec 24, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #160 of 916
Soundnews has reviewed this DAC and I believe his reviews. But the HUB cannot even do MQA, no bluetooth 5.0, no Airplay 2 and the AMP is not even does even have XLR balanced headphone out. What is the point of all those humongous transformer if it cannot even do balanced headphone out? What was the designer thinking when he made this? If it has to be "All in One" then why does it not fill up all the checkboxes for the "ALL" portion?

Dec 24, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #161 of 916
Well I presume everyone's idea of "all " is different. Also, is the idea of "all" as important as say one single thing ? Such as better sound than most other DACs regardless of file format or source interface ? In other words, this piece is for staunch audiophile types like myself that are purists at heart. Wireless anything has no business near my HiFi rig, and there is no headphone in the world that sounds as good as my rig, so Ill never use a headphone. and I personally do not like MQA or any other processed files even if they do claim its "lossless". Thats just me, but Im a crazy audiophile. So to me and potentially to other crazy Audiophiles this unit does have it "all".

So Im guessing if a person needs MQA , Bluetooth and XLR Headphone outputs , then Audiobyte is not the brand for them. For someone that considers absolute top sonic performance more important than the latest trendy features, then the Vox/ Zap is their piece

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #162 of 916
Well I presume everyone's idea of "all " is different. Also, is the idea of "all" as important as say one single thing ? Such as better sound than most other DACs regardless of file format or source interface ? In other words, this piece is for staunch audiophile types like myself that are purists at heart. Wireless anything has no business near my HiFi rig, and there is no headphone in the world that sounds as good as my rig, so Ill never use a headphone. and I personally do not like MQA or any other processed files even if they do claim its "lossless". Thats just me, but Im a crazy audiophile. So to me and potentially to other crazy Audiophiles this unit does have it "all".

So Im guessing if a person needs MQA , Bluetooth and XLR Headphone outputs , then Audiobyte is not the brand for them. For someone that considers absolute top sonic performance more important than the latest trendy features, then the Vox/ Zap is their piece

Point taken. But how does even this even hold up to the Hydra Stack claim on their website? "Your ultimate digital companion, cutting edge technology to enhance every musical experience." - How can it be an "Ultimate Digital Companion"? And what are the those "cutting edge" technology? Now how about the digital part? Since it is a "stack". Don't get me wrong, I am more than convinced on the sound part already.

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #163 of 916
Hello Everyone!

I'll be collecting my Vox/Zap on Sunday.

I'm really happy to see that existing owners are happy with the VOX.

Minor point, I found out about the VOX on VERASTARR's / OCD HI-Fi Guy channel on YouTube.
Would never have known about the VOX without seeing his videos.
I don't agree with everything he says; I remain to be conviced that a $300 power plug will aid in audio Nevana for example. But, I think he's on point regarding the VOX.

I have a question for owners regarding the firmware update procedure.

I have a Allo USBridge Sig running MoOde audio. MPD is set with no volume and no EQ.
Does anyone know if that config is OK to use when applying a firmware update to the VOX?

Thank you for your time,

Lono
Hi Lono, If you listen on my video about the $300 power plug im showing people how close it is to the regular plug, exposing how silly the price is without having to denounce the brand. Hope this makes sense. I do not believe in overpriced things that dont do much, I look out for the buyers and do my part to expose typical HiFi BS.. thanks for watching !

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #164 of 916
Point taken. But how does even this even hold up to the Hydra Stack claim on their website? "Your ultimate digital companion, cutting edge technology to enhance every musical experience." - How can it be an "Ultimate Digital Companion"? And what are the those "cutting edge" technology? Now how about the digital part? Since it is a "stack". Don't get me wrong, I am more than convinced on the sound part already.
Hi Vkenz, we must consider their native language is Romanian, so we can allow for a little extra tolerance in assuming what they mean exactly. Its perception of the word "Ultimate". Perhaps they understand it to mean "very good" rather than there is nothing better which would be the strict interpretation. Also, I would say there is a certain demographic in which this statement as-is would make perfect sense, like an all analog person that has never owned a DAC.

Cheers

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #165 of 916
If you want a DAC that has Wifi, Bluetooth, AirPlay2 and ROON READY (soon) check out the Matrix Audio Mini-i 3 Pro. It is great for the price. I sold my Benchmark DAC3B last night so that I can save up for the AudioByte VOX stack. It will have to surpass the Benchmark DAC3B otherwise, I buy that back for the 3rd time. My Matrix was for my bedroom headphone rig and now have it plugged into the office system. It s not to shabby compared to the DAC3B.

Sandu gave a great review on this unit and I agree. I think the Benchmark was a bit better sounding but I have an all Benchmark stack so there must be some synergy there. I am also curious about how different XLR cables made such a massive difference with the Matrix but no difference with the DAC3B. I have a feeling the AudioByte may have the same XLR cable character as the Matrix. I discuss these observations on this thread.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...d-matrix-mini-i-3-pro-benchmark-dac3b#2076790

What have VOX users here noticed about the XLR output to a preamp or amp? Did different cables makes a difference and what is the preamp or amp that it was connected too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back