Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Dec 31, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #181 of 916
AudioByte is supposed to be coming out with 3 firmware releases for the VOX that will each have a different sound signature. Just install the one you like to the FPGA. I do not know if you have to pay for each one.
Hello All,

Sorry for taking so long to post, real life’s getting in the way.

So, I got my Vox and I’m really happy with it!
It’s replaced the inbuilt DAC in my Atoll IN300 amp, a AKM AK4490.
I’ve currently got about 15 hours on it and only four of them have been listening hours. Like I said real life. I’ve been stacking up long play lists and playing them at low volume while I have to get on with other stuff.

By the way the firmware update worked, but not before I thought broken it!
I played the update file and the Audiobyte logo on the DAC got the numbers 7373 displayed above it in red. Made me think something had gone wrong. I left it for half an hour and it didn’t change, so I turned it off and back on again and the numbers went away, it was playing music so I thought the update hadn’t worked. However, the display still showing the Audiobyte logo and no playback info. It wasn’t until I pressed the logo on the tough screen that the update started by verifying the file and then applying it. Happy days, though I never saw that last part mentioned in the manual.

Some info on my current setup. Music files are run through an Allo USBridge Signature with a Shanti linear PSU. CDs are played on a Panasonic UB900 standing in for a proper transport. The Vox obviously, in DSD direct mode and the aforementioned Atoll IN300, a great integrated amp with a dual mono layout.

Speakers are Kralk Audio TBD-12’s with a Kralk supplied crossover upgrade using Mundorf MCAPs & Audio Gold resistors. Enjoy the music have a nice review of them is you’re interested. Kralk were a one-man band supplying handmade & bespoke speakers in the UK. The reason for their demise is nothing to do with their quality, more to do with some people brought in who were meant to help grow the company and did the opposite. But, Alan Clark, the designer is still around and will hopefully be making a comeback.

I’ve gone off topic, sorry.

My thoughts on the Vox:
Larger, wider sound stage.
Greater “space” between instruments.
Much more detailed.
More bass, something I felt was a little shy from the Atoll’s DAC.
But the biggest stand out for me has to be vocals. The TDB-12’s has level controls for the high and mid-range (-16 to +3db). Previously, I’d had to turn down the highs by a notch as they sounded too bright for my tastes, even then, a female voice singing a sustained high note could be a little harsh. Not so with the Vox! The level control for the highs has returned to its normal position and vocals, both male and female sound richer and sweeter.

So, I love my Vox and yes, I will be getting the Hub.

Happy listening folks,

Lono.
yyZSB I use XLR off the Vox to my Lamm amplifiers though I’m looking at a used balanced preamplifier I’m going to try in the new year.

I believe the firmware is free as I understand it...

Lono I don’t think you will be disappointed with the Vox , My first introduction to the Hydra Vox was during a online purchase pick up earlier this year . The seller was a gracious host inviting me in to his music room .

Though being a completely unfamiliar system from AC receptacle to speaker drivers he played a few familiar pieces of music , we kept in touch and I ended up borrowing his Hydra dac including his server for a weekend,..In a nut shell I preferred the Vox over a much more expensive dac I purchased new just nine months earlier . Comparison with the Vox connected to the other brands own companion player server it was clear the Vox was the better dac,...The decision to purchase the Vox was on the objective side of things then subjective.

All the Best to everyone for a healthy and happy New Year

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #182 of 916
Happy-New-Year-2021-Images-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-profile-picture.jpg

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #184 of 916
Where do I get the firmware? I don't see it on the website. I bought from an authorized reseller.
Send the owner an email and ask about it. I do not think they have more than 1 firmware at the moment. They intend to do 2 more.

Email: Nicolae Jitariu <contact@audiobyte.net>

BTW - I do not own this DAC yet so I am just going on my research

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #185 of 916
Where do I get the firmware? I don't see it on the website. I bought from an authorized reseller.

Why do you need a new FW? Got problems with it?
What is your FW version? (on your Hydra.Vox's interface click: Audiobyte Icon on upper left -> followed by the ℹ icon on the upper right).

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #186 of 916
Jan 10, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #188 of 916
How does Vox's Single-end output sound compare to its balanced output?
All around the Hydra Vox dac is a tremendous performing value for your dollar , the Vox replaced a very popular and more expensive dac just recently . 6months ago I’ve never heard of AudioByte and thanks to a home audition i was able to make direct comparison to my previous dac I purchased new a year earlier. I wasn’t looking to replace my previous dac and it’s companion player it was plain curiosity after visiting a fellow enthusiast .
I use XLR to my Lamm mono blocks though I have not used RCA I can’t imagine the Vox failing to perform well.

Finally I find the headphone section sound quality performs Way above my expectations , another bonus ...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #189 of 916
All around the Hydra Vox dac is a tremendous performing value for your dollar , the Vox replaced a very popular and more expensive dac just recently . 6months ago I’ve never heard of AudioByte and thanks to a home audition i was able to make direct comparison to my previous dac I purchased new a year earlier. I wasn’t looking to replace my previous dac and it’s companion player it was plain curiosity after visiting a fellow enthusiast .
I use XLR to my Lamm mono blocks though I have not used RCA I can’t imagine the Vox failing to perform well.

Finally I find the headphone section sound quality performs Way above my expectations , another bonus ...

Hello,

best way is to use XLR. But, SE output is very close in SQ.

Best Regards,
Nicolae Jitariu
Audiobyte

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #190 of 916
Funny thing happened today. When I opened my Audiobyte app in my smartphone it says "Update available" (Vox.Dac and Zap are off).
Initiated update. An lo and behold Zap begins to update.

So updates can be run thru App in smartphone via BT. Very convenient!

Will this hold thru for Vox (or later with Hub) also? If it does, it will be a very convenient feature.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #191 of 916
Funny thing happened today. When I opened my Audiobyte app in my smartphone it says "Update available" (Vox.Dac and Zap are off).

Will this hold thru for Vox (or later with Hub) also? If it does, it will be a very convenient feature.
Audiobyte App?!! is this only for android? Only thing I found was the Audiobyte Remote for BlackDragon.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #192 of 916
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #193 of 916

So this is similar to the Wavelight.
App Update via Smartphone for the remote functions and soundfile Update for the fpga?

Or could you Update the fpga via Smartphone?

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #194 of 916
So this is similar to the Wavelight.
App Update via Smartphone for the remote functions and soundfile Update for the fpga?

Or could you Update the fpga via Smartphone?

You can only update the Wavelight remote software via smartphone, the internal firmware in the Wavelight is only updated via direct connect from a PC. I can't speak for AB, but it's likely similar unless he's testing designs in the AB stuff.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #195 of 916
You can only update the Wavelight remote software via smartphone, the internal firmware in the Wavelight is only updated via direct connect from a PC. I can't speak for AB, but it's likely similar unless he's testing designs in the AB stuff.
Actually you can also update the fpga on the Wavelight via Smartphone but you need something like UAPP in bitperfect mode (that's how I do it)
It doesn't work wireless though

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back