Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Aug 10, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #287 of 393
Hello pedalhead,
your question is legit and will help many wondering the same.
From AudioZenith website: "Price for the brand-new Audio Zenith PMx2 (the only one with silver grills) is now $1899.00"
From Alex: "Your set is definitely the latest, version 2. On Audio Zenith website I explained how the exterior colour works. The grilles only painted silver, when PMx2 is ordered brand new. When it's a modification to a customer's pair, grilles stay the same colour. Preparing a used set for a paint job would be too much of an expense and could greatly depend on their existing physical condition. I personally like both colours equally and in the end the sound is all that really matters."

I totally agree with Alex, both colours are nice, and I am totally fine with the black grills.
Edit: Wrong argument "To see the difference between a v1 and a v2, just check the ear pads: velour for v1, leather for v2"

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I'll be in the same boat soon, sending a used pair to Alex for modification. Fortunately I think the black looks fine, perhaps more to my taste actually.The PMx2 has received some high praise here and elsewhere from some trusted ears so whilst I very rarely buy anything unseen/unheard, I'm pretty confident this is a low risk endeavour.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #288 of 393
I've been reading as much as I can about the PMx2 on several forums and find it remarkable that I can't find a single person who has a bad word to say about these. In fact, impressions are all very positive.

I've got a PM-2 with PM-1 leather pads coming next week, so if I'm not a fan I may have to send them in to Alex. Curiosity may just get the better of me and I'll have to try both anyway!

My only concern is that I'm outside the USA. Does anyone know how this would work with shipping and particularly customs fees (the bane of my existence) going both ways. Adding another 25% onto what is already quite an expensive mod would be hard to take.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #289 of 393
I've been reading as much as I can about the PMx2 on several forums and find it remarkable that I can't find a single person who has a bad word to say about these. In fact, impressions are all very positive.

I've got a PM-2 with PM-1 leather pads coming next week, so if I'm not a fan I may have to send them in to Alex. Curiosity may just get the better of me and I'll have to try both anyway!

My only concern is that I'm outside the USA. Does anyone know how this would work with shipping and particularly customs fees (the bane of my existence) going both ways. Adding another 25% onto what is already quite an expensive mod would be hard to take.

I was in almost the same position as you, meaning I am also outside the USA.
Alex was kind enough to let the seller send the used PM2 to his house, then he shipped it to back to me in France.
They even find a way to ask for 35€ of customs fees, for a declared value of $50. Hopefully it has not been lost!

Aug 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #290 of 393
Just been pointed in the direction of this thread - thanks Ray Dude.
Can anyone help clarify if I can get the upgrade done on my PM-1 - and how much it would cost.
I suppose there would also be fairly costly postage to consider too as m based in the UK. But the reviews of this upgrade has certainly whet my appetite.

Hi,
As you are in the UK I can offer you a listen if you can get her to south east Essex.
But I think you've already decided on them - you won't be disappointed. Ray got it spot on.

Things here have changed since I last posted.
Things have improved generally just with running in, now with 6 months use (2 hours a night). It's not a great effect so don't agonise over it and please don't try excessive running in or overdriving to try to speed it up.

I now use a Lector CDP 707 CD player, valve output, with the most natural analogue type sound I've ever heard from CD. The Gryphon Scorpio is superb, but this is a touch better.

Above all I now have a Toxic Cables Silver Widow 22 and can't speak highly enough of it - I've posted on the Toxic impressions thread.
Briefly, better dynamics, detail/resolution, slightly wider soundstage, definitely better image focus; major improvements all round (not subtle!). Very highly recommended.

I love all the good things I've said before about the PMx2; and I've also noticed just how absolutely pure, clean and transparent the sound is. Beautiful and musical.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #291 of 393
Hi,
As you are in the UK I can offer you a listen if you can get her to south east Essex.
But I think you've already decided on them - you won't be disappointed. Ray got it spot on.

Things have improved generally just with running in, now with 6 months use (2 hours a night). It's not a great effect so don't agonise over it and please don't try excessive running in or overdriving to try to speed it up.

I now use a Lector CDP 707 CD player, valve output, with the most natural analogue type sound I've ever heard from CD. The Gryphon Scorpio is superb, but this is a touch better.

Above all I now have a Toxic Cables Silver Widow 22 and can't speak highly enough of it - I've posted on the Toxic impressions thread.
Briefly, better dynamics, detail/resolution, slightly wider soundstage, definitely better image focus; major improvements all round (not subtle!). Very highly recommended.

I love all the good things I've said before about the PMx2; and I've also noticed just how absolutely pure, clean and transparent the sound is. Beautiful and musical.
Cheers for that - will certainly bear you in mind as and when I get round to thinking about the upgrade. At the moment moving from the HA-1 to the Mojo and the addition of an ultra low capacitance cable has really opened up my PM's. Lost a little bit of warmth but gained a sense of airiness and some energy higher up the frequency range.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #292 of 393
Hi,

Also, if you don't mind me asking - how much did they cost for the upgrade Inc. postage to the US etc...

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #293 of 393
I bought the finished item from Alex so I can't help with upgrade cost, postage etc but I'll try to help.
Imports from the US are subject to VAT and duty, total of about 22.5%, usually with a fee on top of about £10 or so.
As your phones are already in the UK, you might be able to send them on consignment to the US, on the understanding that they are to be modified and returned; you'll need to check with Customs and Excise about this ... it might then be possible to avoid import duties into the USA and minimise charges on return to the UK. You might be asked for VAT and duty on the 'added value', I'm not sure how it all works, but I suggest you be open and honest; they are not stupid. And above all, my advice is never to ask a supplier to make any false declaration of prices or value for customs purposes! I was asked to provide evidence of the value in the form of the invoice and evidence of payment.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Mike

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #294 of 393
REVIEW ALSO POSTED HERE.

Hi guys,

would like to share some impressions with those who are on the fence of buying these - may or may not be of help to you!

My PMx2 are rev2 version but customized with velour pads from the original rev1 version. Alex also tuned my headphones to be as neutral as possible (according to his reference pair) which means treble may not be as forward as some of the rev2 pairs out there (but still should be a bit more present and airy compared to a typical rev1 pair). Graph provided by Alex is enclosed. Audio chain I have been using lately consists primarily of Schiit Modi Multibit and Audio-GD SA31-SE, with digital side of things being supported by Jriver MC software and toslink cable for digital transmission from my computer. I would say that the chain complements planar magnetic headphones very well.

5af9d03753f7a95ca5cf6e71d8c0c832b7a36442.jpg

Impressions in bullet points:
  • Tonality and timbre: A dream come true for me = a hybrid of HE500 and LCD2 rev2. Very mature and speaker-like presentation. Excellent tonal balance from bass to low treble (e.g. HE500 with the original transparent-plastic-ring velour pads) combined with bass, smoothness and intimacy (e.g. LCD2 rev2). Deep thunderous bass, clean and organic mids, smooth but present treble. As expected, timbre is also perceived as somewhere in between those two planar magnetic cans. Every music track I throw at them sounds natural, from EDM to extreme metal. Beware - it is very easy to shift tonal balance of PMx2 rev2 to warmer or brighter side as you move from one audio chain to another (or as you just keep swapping particular components).
  • Technicalities: Reminds me of HE6 to some extent - clean and tactile performance. Very smooth presentation from bass to treble that is fortunately not holding these cans back due to accurate transient response. There is no muddiness or unnatural sharpness to their sound, they just sound 'fast' in the right way to my ears. Perceived clarity and airiness of PMx2 rev2 depends considerably on upstream components - satisfactory for me but those in love with extreme openness and airiness of HD800/HE6/Stax may have complaints. PMx2 rev2 seems detailed enough for me next to HD800/HE6 duo to call them 'high-end' but neither my upstream gear nor my music library are 'high-end' enough to reliably confirm this feeling of mine.
  • Soundstage: Average in a good sense - does not really lack or overblow dimensionality, width, depth or imaging but of course cannot match enjoyment given by HD800, K1000, MA900 or similar. Stax and HE6 also have advantage here. All in all for sure better developed than Audeze LCD2 rev2 but even HE500 can be a tiny little bit ahead for some due to brighter treble response and more open nature. (PMx2 are rather semi-open than fully open.)
  • Ergonomics: Form-factor is almost perfect - transportable but still fully circumaural (unless you have very large ears), a bit heavier due to beefy magnets but still very comfortable to wear thanks to excellent headband and velour earpads. Only complaint here is zero resistance of 'gimbals' holding and enabling cups to rotate. It subjectively makes the phones feel a bit flimsy (even though they actually are not) when you are putting them on/off your desk. Combination of 1-meter long 3.5mm cable with 3-meter long 4-pin XLR male cable is just perfect for me. Provided transport case is just ideal to keep going around with PMx2s.
I will probably get rid of HE6 and maybe even HE500s (HD800 already gone), both beloved cans for the past few years. PMx2 rev2 just seem to be the one headphone I was chasing for a very long time. The neutral one.

Are they worth the current asking price (1899USD)? This is a question only you can answer for yourself. To me, they are very well worth the price. Compared to what is currently on the market, I actually consider them a bargain.

DISCLAIMER: PMx2 rev2 are not perfect, nothing is. But I am having a very hard time pointing out any issues. They just tick all the boxes for me since I happen to value neutral and clean presentation lately over 'brutal' technicalities (soundstage, microdetails, sharpness, ...).

Attachments

• PMx2 rev2.jpg
    PMx2 rev2.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #295 of 393
It's been a little over two years since I purchased the V1 model from Alex, and I still enjoy them every time I hear them. One interesting thing to note is that during those two years, my audio purchases have dropped about 90%. I still like to audition new gear, but I find myself always coming back to these. Today I just bought my first full size headphones since 2015... and I'm happy to say it's the V2 model. :)

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #296 of 393
It's great to see that Alex is still making the v2's! I was concerned when the PM-2's were discontinued

I've been absolutely delighted with the combo of the PMx2 v2 and Sennheiser HD-800 (with SRmod). As I mentioned in my crazy long review, one is my headphone wife, and one the mistress :wink:

I'm actually in the market for some closed headphones for work now (I'm now in an open office). I'm leaning toward the MrSpeakers Aeon's, but I haven't had a chance to hear them yet. For fellow PMx2 fans, do you have a favorite model of closed headphones that approximates the tonal signature and low distortion of the PMx2's? (my source is Chord DACs: Mojo, DAVE, and soon Hugo2)

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #297 of 393
On the Aeon thread they say that Aeon is a bad paring with Mojo.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #298 of 393
The AZ v2 is best I expect heard. And I don't like mrspeakers in general. Had the ether open 1.1 sold it before getting audiozenith. I don't like anything from them that I've heard.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #299 of 393
The AZ v2 is best I expect heard. And I don't like mrspeakers in general. Had the ether open 1.1 sold it before getting audiozenith. I don't like anything from them that I've heard.

I agree, but pickings are slim in closed headphone land. The Ether C was actually the best closed headphone I heard (I definitely did not care about the tonal signature of the Ether Flows). I'm hoping Aeon is a bit more neutral than the Ether C's.

That being said, I'd love to hear other people's experiences with closed cans that at least approximate the goodness of PMx2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back