Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Mar 14, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #256 of 393
not sure. you should try contacting them on their site. the pmx2 are awesome though. theyre so clean and clear, everything else sounds filtered/EQd in comparision. i have a LFF Code-X which is a pretty rare/hard to find/well thought of can, and even that isn't as good as the pmx2, imho.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #257 of 393
  wonder if az pmx2 sounds better than my original oppo pm1 which i adore

i like bass so I hope the bass did not get a hit in pmx2 mod as barely the oppo pm1 has enough bass

I can't stress enough to everyone how much better the PMx2 sounds than a stock PM-1 or PM-2.

Honestly, I felt the stock PM-1 was way too dark and veiled among other issues they have.

If I didn't know that the PMx2's were modded PM-2's, I would never believe that they were the same headphones.

Across the board, with every frequency, the PMx2's are much more accurate and neutral. Tons of detail in the highs and better bass and bass extension on the low end. The bass is balanced and tight, not bloated or boosted. And from memory extends lower than the stock PM-1/2's.

If you really like the stock PM-1/2 and prefer a darker sound signature, then maybe the PMx2's might be too "neutral" for you, if that's possible. Personally, I don't like dark sound signatures.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #258 of 393
  so i am not into cables i see there are options on zenith audio for about 700 usd are there differences between the different options on zenith audio offerings

The different cable offerings are just different terminations. You can buy them with a 1/4" single ended connector or a 4-pin XLR balanced connector.

The items below that are the pricing for people who provide their own PM-1/2's. The $700 is the cost to have Alex modify your existing PM-1 or PM-2's that you ship to him. Then the price is slightly different if you supply your own velour pads for modification or you buy new modified velour pads from Alex.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #260 of 393
For those that haven't seen it yet, Alex has officially launched his v2 PMx2's!

http://www.audiozenith.com/articles/audio-zenith-new-pmx2/

I spent countless hours with @darinf 's v1 PMx2's before deciding to purchase a set, and received one of the first v2's.  The v2's have improved on the v1's across the board (no going back to go forward), and addressed all the nits I had about the v1 that I was almost too embarrassed to highlight. 

As an aside, I received my Chord DAVE this week, and listened to my PMx2's last night.  I fell in love with these cans all over again! (sore this morning from all the smiling :wink:  The tonal balance, low distortion, and responsiveness of the v2 PMx2's are a remarkable match to the Chord DAVE.  As blown away as I was before, it feels like I'm really hearing what these cans are capable of for the first time.  

Absolutely world class, and a wonderful achievment.  As I've written about in these forums multiple times, I have yet to hear any headphones at any prices that I would trade for my PMx2's.  Great to see these officially launched! (one more reason I wish I was at CanJam this weekend)

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #261 of 393
I too have the second version. They are amazing. Even better than the first. I'll post pics soon they have different earpads. I agree any minor complaints I had with original (and they were minor) are gone. By far the best can I've ever heard and that includes the he1000 which is more cash. I've been meaning to post a review and will do soon. It's hard to listen to anything else after hearing these.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #262 of 393
Everything has settled down now (headphone amp, cables) so I can offer an update on my experiences.

First, the headphone cable. I have a Toxic Silver Widow on order and will report in due course.
As it'll be a long wait I fancied trying something else in the meantime and got one from jiangzhan2012 on Ebay; his 8 cores Hi-end 5N OCC silver plated one for Oppo PM-1. After running in, it is proving a very good cable and a useful improvement over the standard. The bass is tighter; there is more transparency and air; midrange may have a touch more clarity but it definitely has the same *fine* tonality (after running in! It was poor at first, be warned). Differences are not great but they don't need to be, and they are all positive, in the right direction (in my system). Sound is superb. So I give this cable a high recommendation ... exceptional at its price! Do try it ... just be warned not to judge it till it's had 100 hours use.

Next, comments on tonality.
I tried my AKG K812's and their U or V shaped frequency response was apparent - and the effect on tonality was clear. I could often hear that the fundamental and undertones of notes were audibly subdued compared to the higher harmonics. The result was that tonality sounded 'off' to me. Whereas the flat FR of the PMx2s keeps all these things in balance, giving a very correct harmonic structure and hence tonality. I don't tend to analyse things in this way, but I like it when I can link some technical aspects of a piece of kit to its sound (such as when I'm trying to get a DIY amp to sound good!).

Overall comments on the PMx2:
I'm loving them even more in every way. Gorgeous sound. And on going through my CD collection, I'm finding more and more musical gems that I didn't know were so good, enjoying them like mad.
The superb quality of the Gryphon Scorpio cd player is highly apparent; and a good tube amp works beautifully with them.

Music.
It would be wrong to turn this into a music thread but I feel that mentioning some more favourites, and how the PMx2s bring out the musical enjoyment, can be relevant.

Natasha Marsh, Amour. Pure *class* to her gorgeous voice and superb backing by the London Symphony Orchestra; Such delicacy, subtlety, expression, tone to her voice, spine tingly. OK, as much of it is in foreign languages it may not be to all tastes but do try it. The operatic style is not overdone. Ai Giochi Addio is superbly atmospheric; Les Filles de Cadix is lively, engaging, punchy.
Liner notes are excellent .. and lovely pictures!

Cathie Ryan, Somewhere along the road. Irish, with a pleasant accent (not too strong), Fine musicians, well recorded with great clarity. She sings beautifully with a pleasant vibrato (not overdone!),  subtle touches to everything with expression, delicate variations and modulations; things like the h in 'where' and d's and t's of word endings can be alluring; tonality is superb. All these things are well captured, and relayed superbly by the PMx2s.

Sarah Jarosz, Undercurrent. If you like folk with a bluesy touch, try this; fabulous. Fine transparency to everything, tone to instruments, expression and emotion to her voice.

Applewood Road; the Sunday Times rates this highly but didn't mention the special recording quality; single mic analogue recording direct to 2 track tape, no editing or overdubs.

Can you tell I'm loving my headphone system to bits? And that's what it's all about. :)

Regards,
Mike

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #263 of 393

Music.
It would be wrong to turn this into a music thread but I feel that mentioning some more favourites, and how the PMx2s bring out the musical enjoyment, can be relevant.

Thanks for the recommendations Mike!  Enjoying Applewood Road as I type (Amber Rubarth is a favorite from Chesky albums...great to hear her in this sort of group setting).  Also enjoying Undercurrent, while waiting for Amazon to deliver Amour and Cathie Ryan.

With the combination of the Chord DAVE and PMx2's, I'm really enjoying revisiting my Chesky, Blue Coast, and MA Recordings albums.  This is the first time I can fully resolve all that is happening in Calamus' Murakkaz Ah Ya Muddasin, it is taking that already magical experience to another level.  

If you enjoy straight up jazz, Jimmy Cobb's  Jazz In The Key of Blue (Chesky) is absolutely delightful (made more so by the 25% off Chesky Jazz sale at hdtracks.com :wink:

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #267 of 393
Did you also use the restroom? What else did you do?

How about impressions or comments on the headphones?

Haha impressions are tough to do with it being so noisy. They sounded better than the Oppo Pm1 thats for sure. Id probably say they are a hek competitor.

Thanks guys, had a good laugh. Shure or bust is right, it was a very noisy venue and I developed a headache after a couple of direct comparison sessions. Pm if interested in a loaner.
   By the way which hek, one of my friends already went through six of them from two iterations and is currently waiting on the 7th to finally sell :wink:

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #268 of 393

Music.

Can you tell I'm loving my headphone system to bits? And that's what it's all about. :)

Regards,
Mike

Thank you Mike, Thank You Very Much!
   Should have written about my appreciation for all the impressions posted here long ago and am sorry. Many owners write good and even great things about PMx2 and it fills me up with energy and courage to continue the hard work. Every good word feels like a great compensation for all the minutes, hours, days, weeks and months of my life invested in tuning these sets.
   Everywhere and all the time we hear that music is what audio is all about, but for some reason end up describing qualities of our playback systems. Most of the time while reading reviews/impressions we get to find out good or sometimes bad qualities of audio gear. Those certainly are important, but it's extremely rare when component is so involving and transparent that there is simply no need in explaining its qualities and MUSIC is all listener wants to talk about. 
   I personally feel this has to be an ultimate goal for every designer and am so happy you want to talk about music, not just headphones. This is what happens when we talk about live concerts, rarely do we mention the venue as music takes it all. Same has to apply to all audio equipment, it has to be perfectly transparent for music to come alive personally for each listener and create ultimate audio experience.
   THANK YOU MUSIC.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #269 of 393
And thanks to you too Alex, for your unprecedented dedication.

Hoping to join this club by end of April... (When I reach the required savings....ha ha ha)

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #270 of 393
And thanks to you too Alex, for your unprecedented dedication.

Hoping to join this club by end of April... (When I reach the required savings....ha ha ha)

You won't be sorry.  What a wonderful tool to listen to your music with.  I've had mine for over a year and fall asleep with them on every night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back