Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Jul 7, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #47 of 393
   Great review rschoi75, really glad you weren't afraid to place a bet on a dark horse and am very happy you liked the sound.  Also enjoyed reading discussion on Audiocircle from the link you provided, that was definitely a fun and memorable project. Very much appreciate everyone expressing interest and comments, it really helps enormously!

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #48 of 393
Mmm.....after a few weeks of use, my love affair with the PMx2 is still going strong. I still believe that this modified Oppo is an undiscovered gem. I've also ordered from Moon Audio a replacement cable which will hopefully preserve the tuning of the PMx2 while providing me with an on-the-go cable convenience (the stock long cable is such a pain to use for mobile application). The sticker on the metal headband shows a few scratches. In the next iteration, may I suggest engraving/metal etching? Another suggestion is the logo on the denim carrying case needs to be sewn in the fabric instead of being affixed with glue.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #49 of 393
Happy to hear you still are enjoying the sound so much. Very much appreciate all your feedback and suggestions.
Already working on non-scratcheable stickers. We actually considered sewing logo on the case at first but this is crazy difficult and requires complete reassembling of the original (because of the plastic inserts on top and bottom which prevent direct sewing). Still thinking about embroidered badge though :wink:

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #51 of 393
Those that compared it with HD800, how does the soundstage compare?  I have a stock PM2 and the soundstage is definitely shallower than HD800.

dilemma is paying $700 to upgrade my PM2, or pay $800-900 for used HD800 and appy Anax 2.0/3.0 mod to smooth out the treble.  Keep PM2 stock as a good all around cans and have Anax modded HD800 as reference.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #52 of 393
  Those that compared it with HD800, how does the soundstage compare?  I have a stock PM2 and the soundstage is definitely shallower than HD800.

dilemma is paying $700 to upgrade my PM2, or pay $800-900 for used HD800 and appy Anax 2.0/3.0 mod to smooth out the treble.  Keep PM2 stock as a good all around cans and have Anax modded HD800 as reference.

mmmm......upgrade your PM2 instead of going for the used HD800. PMx2 is plug-n-play  while the HD 800 needs a lot of TLC to sound its best (right amp, right cable, right etc.). If you have the chance, audition the PMx2 before deciding. Chances are you will end up becoming a believer. I have both the PMx2 and the HD 800 and I end up using the former more than the latter.

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #53 of 393

I consider the HD 800 to be one of the greats, but to be honest, I've begun to think that it's incredibly wide soundstage is actually a little too wide, and to my ear, its soundstage seems to sound somewhat 'artificial' because of this.

The PM-x2 have a more 'conventional' sized soundstage, which I have actually come to prefer over the exaggeratedly wide soundstage of the HD 800.

But so far, the most naturally proportioned and layered soundstage I've yet heard is from the HE1000.

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #54 of 393
mmm....buy both. Ha ha.....reading the competing POVs here at headfi.org  (AK vs. ZX2, Chord Hugo vs.Aurender Flow, The Ether vs. Hifiman HE 1000 ad nauseam) made me cuckoo. So, to cover all bases, I just buy both when I can  and just be done with it (sickening vaccilation). I have the 800s and the PMx2: which one is better or wide or taller or prettier or tastier ad nauseam? I just enjoy both.

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #55 of 393

Seriously though, that's a tough question. The guys above all make good points in reply.

It's true that the HD800's have a wider soundstage, but I would agree that I think the PMx2 is a much (MUCH) easier headphone to live with (e.g. it will sound good on almost anything vs being picky). With what you have right now, I think an upgrading your PM-2's would be a good choice. You've got the low end/bass fix covered with your Denon's, and upgrading your PM-2's would allow you to have a reference level headphone that will work with your Cayin C5. 
I think in the end, it depends on your priorities on which one you want to have FIRST.... because we all know that eventually you'll want to have both. 
beyersmile.png

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #57 of 393
Mmm,....and I'm extremely enjoying Arabesque album (classical music and jazz)  by Crystal Cable, the best portable/transportable I could scrounge around: AK240/Chord Hugo/Continental Dual Mono/Audio Zenith PMx2, recabled with Moon Audio blue dragon (unbalanced, neutral cable). Very, very happy that I can take this everywhere I go.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #58 of 393
     Great review rschoi75, really glad you weren't afraid to place a bet on a dark horse and am very happy you liked the sound.  Also enjoyed reading discussion on Audiocircle from the link you provided, that was definitely a fun and memorable project. Very much appreciate everyone expressing interest and comments, it really helps enormously!

would love to see you up in Seattle for our upcoming Head-Fi meet next weekend. I know it is short notice, but this is the first I have heard of your headphone. Do you ever make it out to local meets?

PM sent.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #60 of 393
  Can't wait to hear these at the meet!

Definitely. I was really impressed with the PM3 at the last meet, even though it was a very short listen. Gave me the itch to want to try the PM2, and this type of PM2 sounds amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back