Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Aug 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #151 of 393

Unfortunately I don't have the 600 or 650, but I did get a HEX for a week, and I though they were similar, but the PMx2 was better.

Hows the treble on the PMx2? I heard a modded PM2 (not the PMx2) through a cell phone and thought the treble was too laid back. Again, it was only through a phone, so it probably doesnt mean that much. I am dying to hear the PMx2 but cannot get to hear one yet. i'm using the Ether open right now. thinking about selling it for the PMx2. What amp do you use yours with? I have a tube amp right now. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #152 of 393
  For those of you who have the PMx2 or have heard it a few times, which can does it remind you of most? I've heard it resembles the HD600/650. I've heard the 650 (not through a good amp though, only AudioQuest USB Dac/Amp unfortunately), never heard the HD600. Thanks. 

I have both the PMx2 and the HD600. I just listened to them side by side on my system: JRiver -> Schiit Gumby -> Ragnarok -> balanced cable -> headphones. (I also have the Mimby/Vali 2 combo which work really well for so little money.)

While I can see the comparison between the two since I consider the HD600 fairly neutral, the PMx2 is significantly better.

The bass on the PMx2 goes lower and is cleaner and tighter, and more detailed.

The mids on the PMx2 are more natural sounding. I am not sure how to characterize it, but say on a piano recording or vocals, the PMx2 sounds more "real" in it's tonality. 

Ont he high end, it's not dark at all. It's super detailed, but not elevated or harsh. It reminds me of the smoothness of electrostats, but not elevated or artificially boosted. For example, with my Stax 009's, I LOVE the high end for it's speed and smoothness, but it's clearly not what I would consider neutral. It's elevated. The PMx2 reminds me of that smooth, detailed sound, but neutral not exaggerated.

Can you tell I love my PMx2's? When evaluating any other piece of gear or software, I always use the PMx2 as a reference so I know that the headphones are giving me an accurate representation of the gear upstream in the chain. It's not adding to or coloring the sound.

The HD600's are amazing especially for the price, but the PMx2's are a big step up.

Hows the treble on the PMx2? I heard a modded PM2 (not the PMx2) through a cell phone and thought the treble was too laid back. Again, it was only through a phone, so it probably doesnt mean that much. I am dying to hear the PMx2 but cannot get to hear one yet. i'm using the Ether open right now. thinking about selling it for the PMx2. What amp do you use yours with? I have a tube amp right now. 

While the PMx2 (and PM-2 for that matter) can be driven OK from a phone.), they sound much better through a better amp.

However, I have heard stock PM-2's and to me they sound nothing like the PMx2. If you couldn't see which headphones you had on, you would not believe they start off as the same headphone. The stock PM-2 is really dark to me. The PMx2 is not laid back. But if you prefer a more U shaped sound signature, then I could see the PMx2's not having the elevated highs that some people like. 

Then when you're comparing someone else's modified PM-2's, you can't really assume that someone else's modifications will sound at all alike. I don't know what modifications were done to the pair you heard, but I would be surprised if they are as extensive as what Alex does to the PMx2's. The amount of work he does is crazy. He has a 30 minute video explaining what he does.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #153 of 393

However, I have heard stock PM-2's and to me they sound nothing like the PMx2. If you couldn't see which headphones you had on, you would not believe they start off as the same headphone. The stock PM-2 is really dark to me. The PMx2 is not laid back. But if you prefer a more U shaped sound signature, then I could see the PMx2's not having the elevated highs that some people like. 

Then when you're comparing someone else's modified PM-2's, you can't really assume that someone else's modifications will sound at all alike. I don't know what modifications were done to the pair you heard, but I would be surprised if they are as extensive as what Alex does to the PMx2's. The amount of work he does is crazy. He has a 30 minute video explaining what he does.

Thanks. by the way how do the PMx2 compare to the Paradox Slants? thats another can i was looking at. by the way, have you heard the Ether open? im guesing you prefer AZ to Ether. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #154 of 393

Thanks. by the way how do the PMx2 compare to the Paradox Slants? thats another can i was looking at. by the way, have you heard the Ether open? im guesing you prefer AZ to Ether. 

I also own the Paradox Slants. Those are another headphone that fall into a similar "neutral": category. They are a closed headphone and can sound a little less open or airy. They are not as neutral as the PMx2's. 

I don't own the Ethers. While I have heard them before in various versions on various gear, they were in more like meet conditions without familiar gear and music. So, it would be hard for me to make a fair comparison.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #155 of 393

Unfortunately I don't have the 600 or 650, but I did get a HEX for a week, and I though they were similar, but the PMx2 was better.

Relative to an Ether, the PM will seem laid-back and possible boring. All the detail is there in the treble with the PMx2, but the mid and bass are presented better, so the treble isn't as pronounced as with the ether. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #156 of 393
Relative to an Ether, the PM will seem laid-back and possible boring. All the detail is there in the treble with the PMx2, but the mid and bass are presented better, so the treble isn't as pronounced as with the ether. 

So is the treble less bright or are the other parts of the signature better?

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #157 of 393

So is the treble less bright or are the other parts of the signature better?

IMHO the other parts are simple presented better and the they are a little less bright. Hard to tell exactly why.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #158 of 393

My take on the Ether vs. PMx2 is that they are completely different in signature and two different levels of SQ. IMO, the Ether is clearly a TOTL HP in SQ while the PMx2 is closer to an exotic level just under the Abyss, LCD4, and 009 - only easier to drive. While the Ether is a beautiful HP and comfortable as hell, it is a little too thin for my taste. On the other hand, the PMx2 has dynamics allowing you to feel even the most delicate of sounds providing you the being there feeling. The PMx2 is so natural and resonant, that it makes the Ether feel almost analytical. The Ether allows you to hear a pin drop, the PMx2 allows you to feel it hit as if you are next to it in a silent room. Just my 2 cents....

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #159 of 393
It was my own modded PM2 that was heard by "uhhmike".
It is bass boosted and midrange lush, with soft trebles...
It is no where as refined as a PMx2. ..

I have also owned and modded the Ether.
I own the HEK and Code-X.
I have modded HD800 and await the Flow.
I have heard the PMX2. ..

I would have to agree with the posts here.
The PMX2 is more neutral and yet more bass over original Ether.
It is more refined midrange and high in clarity.

My PM2 unit was always meant to be an "interim" until I could get a PMx2.

I could replicate bass and get some lush mids, and nice trebles,
but mine more like a lcd2, and not to the level of refinement in PMX2,
which is only in PMX2..

PMx2 level of neutrality also translate to a greater level of transparency, when there is no coloration.

Stock PM2 sounds like mud in comparison.
I am not exaggerating either. .

The clarity of PMX2 is rather shocking.
It left Impression of clarity in my mind that was never superceded by my ownership of Ether or my own PM2 mod.

So there you go. ..

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #160 of 393
mmm....out of the Dave (recently acquired), my PMx2 is on a whole different planet. I really fell in love the first time I heard the PMx2 last year and bought it on the spot (from the dealer). Shockingly good then......extraordinarily, shockingly good now. Sad that it belongs under the underappreciated and underhyped category of headphones. Another setup that makes the PMx2 really, really, really good: Chord QBD 76 + Violectric V281 via Atlas Asimi XLR (analog). You will be genuinely shocked. I know I was when I auditioned it at my dealer here a few days ago.

Yes, I still have the PM1. No contest. PMx2 wins by a mile. On the Dave, it is a parsec.

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #161 of 393
So how is this baby fared with the new gens right now Elear, Ether Flow?

Comments who had the chance for comparo?

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #163 of 393
I am still trying to hear them. I have not had any luck. I don't want to buy them because I have got too much stuff just to sell it at a lower price. I heard that their soundstage is significantly smaller than the HD 800

Nov 3, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #164 of 393
I am still trying to hear them. I have not had any luck. I don't want to buy them because I have got too much stuff just to sell it at a lower price. I heard that their soundstage is significantly smaller than the HD 800

We spent a LOT of time with the PMx2's in our recent shoot out (http://www.head-fi.org/t/824351/adventures-of-2-channel-guy-diving-head-first-into-the-head-fi-deep-end).  Absolutely fantastic.  The only headphones we auditioned that were competitive with the PMx2's were the Focal Utopia's (at 3x the price), but we didn't have enough time with the loaner Utopia's to really do the rigorous A/B.

One of our crew has already ordered a pair that Alex is working on, and we likely will have a couple more orders over the next month or two (still want to hear the Ether Flows, etc).

I personally spent maybe 8 hours of very critical listening going back and forth between the PMx2 and the HD800's (stock and with various EQ strategies).  The soundstage was smaller than the HD 800's, but better than the Oppo PM-1's (we didn't have Oppo PM-2's to do a direct comparison, but I suspect it would be close).  In general, I'd say the 800's we more precise and more dynamic (like looking at a HDR photo), but the PMx2 more natural and neutral.  The 800's made you sit forward and pay attention, the PMx2 made you relax and just disappear into the music.

If you value exquisite tonal balance, build quality, and things hand tuned to their limits, the PMx2 is a no brainer.  If you want the huge soundstage and hyper detail (and can live with the thin low end and endearing quirks and endless tweaking), the HD800 is a great option.

Happy to share more of our experiences (4 people were involved in the shoot out) if helpful

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #165 of 393
  There doesn't seem to be a ton of users out there aside from early adopters who are raving. Are there not that many in the wild?

I'm really curious how a HD800S might compare.

Matt, I neglected to share our experiences for your question.  We were able to compare a HD800 with super resonator mod (to kill the 6k spike) and bass equalized up (per Inner Fidelity) against the PMx2.  Not a perfect comparison to the 800s (per Inner Fidelity) but in the same neighborhood.

The deeper extension and taming of the 6k fart in the 800's definitely made for a smoother experience, but I thought the tonal balance of the PMx2's blew it away.  I also prefered the build quality and aesthetics of the PMx2 to the 800's (by a country mile).

As I mentioned in the previous post, the openness and soundstage and detailed dynamics of the 800 (modded or unmodded) are unmatched in my experience.  The PMx2 still was much more relaxing and natural feeling that the modded 800's.

For how this applies to the 800s, I'm relying on the reporting of the Inner Fidelity folks that speak to the modded 800's being at least close to the 800s.  I defer to those with actual experience with the 800s vs the PMx2 to chime in though.

That being said, if I had $1400-1600 to spend on a PMx2 or HD800 (modded or unmodded), that would be a no brainer for me: PMx2 all the way.  As I mentioned in my write up, if I were given a choice between the Utopia and PMx2 and couldn't them, I'd be sorely tempted to go with the PMx2. Things get tougher if you open it up to include used HD800's ($700ish) in the decision making, but that becomes a value decision for me, not a which is better decision.

m-i-c-k-e-y, we weren't able to get Ether Flows for our big shootout, but I plan on dropping by the factory next week to check them out.  It won't be a direct A/B with the PMx2s, but I'll update my shootout post with my impressions of the Ether Flows once I'm able to hear them myself (if I'm lucky, maybe even the electrostatic prototype they've been showing at shows).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back