Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series
Feb 19, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #391 of 427
...Actually Shure, Westone, and Logitech are all using the same connection now. So is VSONIC. That's exactly why I think it's bad that AT isn't.

I don't think you understand my reasoning; you seem set in yours, so I won't try to convince you. 

*listens to Paul McCartney*

Quote:

There, i fixed it for you. Lower prices won't "force" manufacturers to make "quality" products. I'm not saying it's nice, and we shouldn't want it... i'm just saying it isn't happening yet, and it's been a long time promise. I don't see why using a propietary connection is bad, since, at least so far, i've seen 3 or 4 different connections. Does it mean that if the headphone isn't a success, it might be discontinued and the ones that bought the headphone might be left without replacement parts? Yes, but then that's like not having removable cables at all. But right now, it doesn't affect that much to the option that is the IM series, be it the dynamic or the balanced versions. They're just another option, and having propietary connections doesn't make them automatically bad (well, to you maybe, then i guess you're in the wrong thread maybe).

Honestly, i don't see Sony, Shure, Westone or even Logitech pushing for a standardization of connectors. Why shouldn't Audio Technica have their own cable.

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #392 of 427

Are they, or will they, because so far, i don't think the W4R cable fits the MDR-H1 or H3. I could be wrong though, i mostly am.

I understand your logic, what i don't get is that you're complaining about a product that's already selling, same as the H1, or the H3... It would be nice for them to use a single connection, and i hope they do, but in the audio industry, that's a hard thing to achieve...

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #393 of 427
No, but the W40 fits with the UE900, SE535, and forthcoming VSD3.

I feel like ultimately we agree, a universal connection would be good; these seem like excellent phones regardless, it was just disappointing to see AT move against the grain in this one area with an otherwise solid product.

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #396 of 427

That's always a possibility, but it's probably due to personal preference. The IM02 uses a Knowles GQ driver, which is a vented ED for lows and WBFK for highs, while the CK10 uses the TWFK, which has a vented FK for lows and WBFK for highs. An ED driver is about three times as big as the FK driver. It'll be able to deliver more convincing lows. In terms of the other areas, it depends on the resonance interactions between the low and high drivers. Even though the two both use a WBFK, they won't behave exactly the same because of resonance interactions, affecting the frequency response, perception of timbre, etc. BTW, this exact driver is what's used in the CK90PRO/MK2/IM02.

As an aside, I hooked up the IM50 to my Concero HP and applied the following simple parametric EQ:

The results are uncanny; it's hard to think that these earphones are only $50-ish.

I realize that I'm kind of cheating by hooking it up to one of the most revealing DAC/amps I've ever heard, but the IM50 does scale beautifully.

The dual drivers really do a good job of maintaining control over the entire spectrum.

At this point, however, I dislike the fact that I have to EQ down the bass in order to get a tonal balance that I prefer. I'm very lazy about EQing and prefer not to EQ at all.

I will probably put the IM50 up for sale once I get the AS Rockets.

So what are your thoughts comparing the IM02 to other Full twfk driver 'phones? If you can... I'm looking for a slightly more forgiving/smoother sounding Rockit-R50 essentially.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #400 of 427
So what are your thoughts comparing the IM02 to other Full twfk driver 'phones? If you can...
I'm looking for a slightly more forgiving/smoother sounding Rockit-R50 essentially.

Wouldn't be a bad choice. It is more forgiving/smooth. The TWFK is actually more versatile than people think, and can be tuned to be warm and not at all peaky, but with respect to the R50 specifically, the IM02 will be smoother. Keep in mind that the IM02 is on the peakier side of GQ-equipped IEMs. If you want something even smoother, consider the Westone 2/W20, or the pricier InEar StageDiver 2.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #402 of 427
  Anybody knows tips that fit better? Or any way to enhance its fit at all? When I was using um3x, (star) medium-long tips were perfect :/

STAR tips will not fit on the new IM series, or any ATH IEM for that matter. I think you need >= 4mm diameter tips. If you want more highs, you need tips that can lock into the rim built into the tips for the IM01/02/03/04, but will open wider than the diameter, 5mm or so, so that you get a horn effect, boosting very high frequencies.

Try Ortofon tips; lots of people like using them; I think they're not bad, but I'm not in love with them. My favorite wide bore generic-use tips are from HiFiMAN and RedGiant.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #403 of 427

STAR tips will not fit on the new IM series, or any ATH IEM for that matter. I think you need >= 4mm diameter tips. If you want more highs, you need tips that can lock into the rim built into the tips for the IM01/02/03/04, but will open wider than the diameter, 5mm or so, so that you get a horn effect, boosting very high frequencies.

Try Ortofon tips; lots of people like using them; I think they're not bad, but I'm not in love with them. My favorite wide bore generic-use tips are from HiFiMAN and RedGiant.

They fit, but that's forcing the tip too much for my taste (i actually spent ~15 minutes trying to make them fit). Like you said, >=4mm might work better and save you a lot of trouble. I might try the tips from my RE-262, i've been stuck with the Stock Silicon, and was considering using the T500 that came with the IM Series (or switching to Tsx-500).

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #404 of 427
Hi, I am kinda new here and wondering if someone could help me out with the selection of a iem. I am tossing up between the audio technica ath-im70 and the shure se215 limited edition as they are the same price where I live ($140 AUD). This will be my first decent set of earphones, my current set are Logitech UE 400 but they are dying. My sources are an iPod touch 5 and a Macbook. I listen to a bit of everything - no favourite genres, but I do listen to a lot of recorded lectures for university. (Would the im70 be too bass heavy for spoken word audio?)

I have head that the im70 beats the se215 sound wise, however what I've read about the fit issues and isolation of the im70 are drawbacks. Isolation is a must for me while listening to the recorded lectures as I live in a rather noisy house. Are the im70 fit issues that major? My ears a small.
Also the costs of replacing tips; shure olives are much cheaper than comply tips where I live (comply tips work out at around $10+ AUD a pair). 

Any advice would be lovely thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back