Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series
Mar 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #406 of 427
  Hi, I am kinda new here and wondering if someone could help me out with the selection of a iem. I am tossing up between the audio technica ath-im70 and the shure se215 limited edition as they are the same price where I live ($140 AUD). This will be my first decent set of earphones, my current set are Logitech UE 400 but they are dying. My sources are an iPod touch 5 and a Macbook. I listen to a bit of everything - no favourite genres, but I do listen to a lot of recorded lectures for university. (Would the im70 be too bass heavy for spoken word audio?)

I have head that the im70 beats the se215 sound wise, however what I've read about the fit issues and isolation of the im70 are drawbacks. Isolation is a must for me while listening to the recorded lectures as I live in a rather noisy house. Are the im70 fit issues that major? My ears a small.
Also the costs of replacing tips; shure olives are much cheaper than comply tips where I live (comply tips work out at around $10+ AUD a pair). 

Any advice would be lovely thanks

I haven't had isolation issues, and i use them mostly between my house and work, where i mainly use the bus and the subway here (the noise in some of the stations has spikes for around 99dB, and the IM70's reduce that a lot). The fit however could be an issue if you can't test them first, i have a few issues, but nothing too annoying, since i'm considering switching tips to the Complys that come with the IM70. The headphone is very even sounding to my ears, i listen from rock to bossanova, jazz, classical music sometimes, and a lot of random music styles (i get bored really fast), and the IM70 performs quite well. If you're having issues with the tips also, i'd suggest you jump with the SE215 instead, since that could be an issue for you.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #407 of 427
I posted some pictures of ath-im03 opening
here

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #410 of 427
  Hi, I am kinda new here and wondering if someone could help me out with the selection of a iem. I am tossing up between the audio technica ath-im70 and the shure se215 limited edition as they are the same price where I live ($140 AUD). This will be my first decent set of earphones, my current set are Logitech UE 400 but they are dying. My sources are an iPod touch 5 and a Macbook. I listen to a bit of everything - no favourite genres, but I do listen to a lot of recorded lectures for university. (Would the im70 be too bass heavy for spoken word audio?)

I have head that the im70 beats the se215 sound wise, however what I've read about the fit issues and isolation of the im70 are drawbacks. Isolation is a must for me while listening to the recorded lectures as I live in a rather noisy house. Are the im70 fit issues that major? My ears a small.
Also the costs of replacing tips; shure olives are much cheaper than comply tips where I live (comply tips work out at around $10+ AUD a pair). 

Any advice would be lovely thanks

I use sony hybrids.  It fits me better and sounds slightly better than the stock tips.  Forget  about comply tips.  They really bring the sound quality down.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #411 of 427
Hi everyone,
Which one of the new Audio-Technica line would you recommend as an upgrade from Brainwavz B2 / DBA-02?
I like the bright, sparky, airy and forward sound of B2, but want something technically better.
I've tried RE-262 and didn't like it (too laid-back and dark sound, lack of air and aggressiveness).
Also tried ER-4P briefly (received just a couple of days ago), and from the first expressions it lacks the sparkle and aggression of B2 on vocals & strings. Although technically it is superior to Brainwavz, no doubt about that.
I was planning to get CK100PRO as an upgrade over B2, which would bring its temper on a new technical level. 
But some head-fiers said CK100PRO is very close to ER-4S.
Now, with the new line of ATH released, perhaps one of them would be a better option?
Need a word of advice from someone who heard the new Audio-Technica's as well as B2/DBA-02.

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #412 of 427
Hi everyone,
Which one of the new Audio-Technica line would you recommend as an upgrade from Brainwavz B2 / DBA-02?
I like the bright, sparky, airy and forward sound of B2, but want something technically better.
I've tried RE-262 and didn't like it (too laid-back and dark sound, lack of air and aggressiveness).
Also tried ER-4P briefly (received just a couple of days ago), and from the first expressions it lacks the sparkle and aggression of B2 on vocals & strings. Although technically it is superior to Brainwavz, no doubt about that.
I was planning to get CK100PRO as an upgrade over B2, which would bring its temper on a new technical level. 
But some head-fiers said CK100PRO is very close to ER-4S.
Now, with the new line of ATH released, perhaps one of them would be a better option?
Need a word of advice from someone who heard the new Audio-Technica's as well as B2/DBA-02.

Having owned an im02 for over a month, it is clear that your iem is im02 :)

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #413 of 427
Having owned an im02 for over a month, it is clear that your iem is im02
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! That's what I thought.
The real question is if it would be a significant upgrade over B2 and if CK100PRO would be even better for me.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #414 of 427
Having owned an im02 for over a month, it is clear that your iem is im02
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I disagree. I have both the IM02 and DBA02II and they are quite different. The Fischer is faster and much more sparkly and aggressive. I prefer the IM02 by miles but I wouldn't call it technically better than the Fischers, it is smoother and bit less sparkly so you might be disappointed with it. I think you need to check out Joker's thread.

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #415 of 427

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I disagree. I have both the IM02 and DBA02II and they are quite different. The Fischer is faster and much more sparkly and aggressive. I prefer the IM02 by miles but I wouldn't call it technically better than the Fischers, it is smoother and bit less sparkly so you might be disappointed with it. I think you need to check out Joker's thread.

Thanks! Now things are getting interesting.
By Joker's thread do you mean "Multi-IEM Review"? I have looked it through. Plenty of useful information, but not very helpful for my question. CK100PRO is missing, and so are the newer ATH-IM models, hopefully they would be added later.

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #416 of 427
  Thanks! Now things are getting interesting.
By Joker's thread do you mean "Multi-IEM Review"? I have looked it through. Plenty of useful information, but not very helpful for my question. CK100PRO is missing, and so are the newer ATH-IM models, hopefully they would be added later.

Joker rates the DBA02 very highly, I think 9.2. Go above that you move into the quad drivers like Westone 4/Fitear 334 or something like the AKG3003. Above those it's strictly customs.  Maybe check out what he says about the Sony MDR-1000, think he rates those higher and still describes them as aggressive.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #417 of 427
Btw, just wondering does any of the new ATH-IM models sound similar/closest to the CK100's (not the PRO's)? I've had them for quite a while now and I really enjoy them, but from what I understand they have one of the most unique sound signatures that are not founded in other iem's, and they have been discontinued.  

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #419 of 427

STAR tips will not fit on the new IM series, or any ATH IEM for that matter. I think you need >= 4mm diameter tips. If you want more highs, you need tips that can lock into the rim built into the tips for the IM01/02/03/04, but will open wider than the diameter, 5mm or so, so that you get a horn effect, boosting very high frequencies.

Try Ortofon tips; lots of people like using them; I think they're not bad, but I'm not in love with them. My favorite wide bore generic-use tips are from HiFiMAN and RedGiant.

oops, i just ordered some Star tips for my IM03. are the Hifiman tips large? I don't see a size listed on their site. Where would one buy the RedGiant tips? thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back