Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series
Feb 18, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #377 of 427
I found the fit OK with the stock tips, they just made the IM50 too bassy. The hybrids are better in that respect, but I don't find they particularly improve the fit, which could be better. If the nozzles were just a bit shorter, they wouldn't always stick out.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #378 of 427
I found the fit OK with the stock tips, they just made the IM50 too bassy. The hybrids are better in that respect, but I don't find they particularly improve the fit, which could be better. If the nozzles were just a bit shorter, they wouldn't always stick out.

For me I feel that the nozzle is a bit too long and the body is too fat as well.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #384 of 427
Well, they aren't available stateside, and 15k yen is a hair under $150 USD, so your question is specious. I'm glad that the price of RC IEMs is dropping, but Im not sure what you mean by "readily available;" its not a very progressive gesture at all when the manufacturer requires that you buy replacements from them, and its not even listed on their website. This doesn't seem "readily available" to me.
OK, so a sub-$100 IEM has detachable, readily available cables, and you're boycotting it because of that? I don't get it.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #385 of 427
Well, they aren't available stateside, and 15k yen is a hair under $150 USD, so your question is specious. I'm glad that the price of RC IEMs is dropping, but Im not sure what you mean by "readily available;" its not a very progressive gesture at all when the manufacturer requires that you buy replacements from them, and its not even listed on their website. This doesn't seem "readily available" to me.

My 'specious' question refers to the IM50, which costs around $60. And you can get the cables from Amazon Japan or other Japanese sellers, which makes them almost as readily available as the earphones themselves, considering they haven't really gone international yet.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #386 of 427
I just reread the first post, you're right about the IM50.

I still think the idea of proprietary connectors is just a sham when the rest of the market is pushing towards a universal connection. Sure they are readily available, but its still one more way for them to make money at consumers' expense, whether it be price, convenience, or selection that is sacrificed.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #387 of 427
I just reread the first post, you're right about the IM50.

I still think the idea of proprietary connectors is just a sham when the rest of the market is pushing towards a universal connection. Sure they are readily available, but its still one more way for them to make money at consumers' expense, whether it be price, convenience, or selection that is sacrificed.

Are we talking about the same market that has more than 5 types of balanced output connections? Or the same market that is pushing towards a universal connection, but still hasn't done it yet?... I'll believe the "universal connection" when i see it implemented, but for now, i'll stick with the IM70 and i'll wait for my future replacement cable.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #388 of 427
All I'm saying is, TF10 has been around for ages and there are only 2 cables available to my knowledge for under $100 that have a mic, and one is from the manufacturer. And I consider paying $100+ for a cable absurd, unless it has a prehensile apendage that will feed me Cheetos while I listen to Stravinsky.

Homogeny in this kind of market is also beneficial because it creates more competition, which lowers prices and increases manufacturers' incentive to produce quality products.

I don't see why it isn't something we should all want.
Are we talking about the same market that has more than 5 types of balanced output connections? Or the same market that is pushing towards a universal connection, but still hasn't done it yet?... I'll believe the "universal connection" when i see it implemented, but for now, i'll stick with the IM70 and i'll wait for my future replacement cable.

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #390 of 427
All I'm saying is, TF10 has been around for ages and there are only 2 cables available to my knowledge for under $100 that have a mic, and one is from the manufacturer. And I consider paying $100+ for a cable absurd, unless it has a prehensile apendage that will feed me Cheetos while I listen to Stravinsky.

Homogeny in this kind of market is also beneficial to the users because it creates more competition, which lowers prices and increases manufacturers' incentive to produce quality products.

I don't see why it isn't something we should all want.

There, i fixed it for you. Lower prices won't "force" manufacturers to make "quality" products. I'm not saying it's nice, and we shouldn't want it... i'm just saying it isn't happening yet, and it's been a long time promise. I don't see why using a propietary connection is bad, since, at least so far, i've seen 3 or 4 different connections. Does it mean that if the headphone isn't a success, it might be discontinued and the ones that bought the headphone might be left without replacement parts? Yes, but then that's like not having removable cables at all. But right now, it doesn't affect that much to the option that is the IM series, be it the dynamic or the balanced versions. They're just another option, and having propietary connections doesn't make them automatically bad (well, to you maybe, then i guess you're in the wrong thread maybe).

Honestly, i don't see Sony, Shure, Westone or even Logitech pushing for a standardization of connectors. Why shouldn't Audio Technica have their own cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back