Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series
Feb 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #332 of 427
  Thanks for the impressions :) Recently there is an itch in my wallet that need scratching but I could not decide as a fan on Um3x and Ba200 sound.

Would you suggest im02 then?

if vocals is your concern I would recommend im02 (definitely an upgrade over BA200)

- over the BA200, im02 mids are more forward and higher clarity, while the whole presentation of the song also sounds "fuller" which will make the BA200 mids sound "hollow"

- over the UM3X, the soundstage of im02 is wider and less intimate (which used to be my problem with um3x too), at least to me, and it is more versatile compared to um3x (because the mids are not as lush and forward as UM3x, which to me is a good thing)

but if you have a wide genre of songs that u listen to, then IM03 (please note the price jump from IM02 to IM03 is the greatest among the 4 models too), if not, im02 is the way to go.. (not only looking at price:performance ratio, but looking at the performance of it in the vocals department)

hope this helps

Quote:
  Out of the 02's, 03's, and 04's, which would say is best for the bass lover?

IMO i would find IM04 to have the most bass out of the 2..

and also , im02 for vocals, im03 if u have a wide genre of songs that u listen in playlist

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #334 of 427
  Out of the 02's, 03's, and 04's, which would say is best for the bass lover?

Although all of them has good low end presence I honestly wouldn't consider any of them to suitable for a bass lover. The IM04 has the most bass but I think it may still fall short when judged by a bass lover's standard.

Thanks for the impressions :) Recently there is an itch in my wallet that need scratching but I could not decide as a fan on Um3x and Ba200 sound.

Would you suggest im02 then?

The IM02 would be the closest in sound signature to both the um3x and the ba200, that is for sure. But do keep in mind it is most likely to be a sidegrade rather than an upgrade. It is clearer than the UM3X with better overall balance and much less bass and lower mids presence, but falls short in terms of instrument separation and layering. Compared to the BA200 it is livelier, more energetic, engaging, more mid and treble forward but gives up a bit of smoothness for a slightly edgier sound. In terms clarity it is better than both, especially in the mids. 

IMHO IM02 is the most well tuned among the entire IM balanced armature series. IM03 and 04 are quite a bit overpriced. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #335 of 427
Poor CK90PRO MK2... it got zero love back in the day, and now its little brother IM02 is getting all the attention!
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #336 of 427
  Poor CK90PRO MK2... it got zero love back in the day, and now its little brother IM02 is getting all the attention!
tongue_smile.gif

I havent heard the CK90PRO MK2 but since it sounds the same as IM02 I am sure I would be quite impressed by it as well!

I also tried the IM50 and IM70 and I agree with your impressions, the IM50 is a downright steal for the price. IM70 is good but I preferred the IM50 tuning quite a bit more. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #337 of 427
I found the IM02 out of the four most matching to my sonic preferences but ended up getting cks1000 suddenly on impulse. Still trying to come up with something to justify my actions.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #340 of 427
Thank you but damn! İ had thought that it could be an upgrade..What is the clear upgrade over these? Fast, energetic and punchy sound are my preferences.

clear upgrade over IM04? have u bought them? if so, try amping it, another brother here (I believe is audionewbi) said IM04 scales very well to amping..

it might make im04 a beast .. try it..

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #341 of 427
clear upgrade over IM04? have u bought them? if so, try amping it, another brother here (I believe is audionewbi) said IM04 scales very well to amping..

it might make im04 a beast .. try it..

I am using Dx50 and hstage arrow 4N with a hybrid lod. This bundles potential is at sky level but while reaction to amps and their benefits is important so is the price too. Heard that um04 is overpriced and then İ had thought İ should wait some months for a cheapening.
Read and hoped that -though not an upgrade- gr07 mk2 might statisfy. Its on its way so wait and see.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #342 of 427
I am using Dx50 and hstage arrow 4N with a hybrid lod. This bundles potential is at sky level but while reaction to amps and their benefits is important so is the price too. Heard that um04 is overpriced and then İ had thought İ should wait some months for a cheapening.
Read and hoped that -though not an upgrade- gr07 mk2 might statisfy. Its on its way so wait and see.

thats good, i wouldnt recommend IM04 to anyone unless they are hooked onto the signature because IMO they sucks in the price:performance section

hmm have u tried futuresonics atrios m5? its king of bass in universal form, the bass quality is soooo good !

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #343 of 427
thats good, i wouldnt recommend IM04 to anyone unless they are hooked onto the signature because IMO they sucks in the price:performance section

hmm have u tried futuresonics atrios m5? its king of bass in universal form, the bass quality is soooo good !

Nope İ havent. I wouldnt prefer something known for its bass only :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #345 of 427
  I havent heard the CK90PRO MK2 but since it sounds the same as IM02 I am sure I would be quite impressed by it as well!  
I also tried the IM50 and IM70 and I agree with your impressions, the IM50 is a downright steal for the price. IM70 is good but I preferred the IM50 tuning quite a bit more. 

Yes, I would think most would think the CK90PRO MK2 is an impressive-sounding IEM. It was neck and neck with my (departed) BA200 in a long A/B audition; I preferred the BA200 for its slightly better detail retrieval, but the CK90PRO MK2 was more musical, smooth, and involving. I still think the IM50 is quite good for the price, but its bass levels are above what I'm used to. If only Audio-Technica made an ATH-IM90 or something.

The CK70PRO would perhaps be more like its little brother. Did you ever hear it?

Yes, but a long time ago, and only for a short period of time. I thought it was nice, just a little scratchy sounding up top. I never really considered it because the ergonomics were even worse than those of the CK90PRO's and they were poor enough. From memory, the IM01 doesn't sound like it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back