Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series
Dec 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #226 of 427
Just got these in and here's my comparisons before I make my impressions later.

Bass: VSD1>IM50>>Deltas>>M6>>>>Quadbeats

Mids: IM50>>>VSD1>>Quadbeats>>>Deltas>>>>>>>M6

Highs: IM50>>>VSD1(not smooth)>Quadbeats>>>Deltas>>>>>>m6

Soundstage: IM50>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VSD1>>>>Quadbeats>>>Deltas>>>m6

Will give a more detailed impression later. Will burn in more. But, they are head and shoulders above everything I have. To simply put, these feel like the first real "audiophile" IEM I have and it's sound is something you can't just discover anywhere without research and patience.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #227 of 427
 I'm in for the IM70, at ¥11,120 JPY (about $105 - used some points), sound cheap enough  for the types of impressions/reviews I'm seeing.

Thanks for the cdJapan recommendation, I've ordered from them in the past, they ship quickly and are reliable.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #228 of 427
Just got these in and here's my comparisons before I make my impressions later.

Bass: VSD1>IM50>>Deltas>>M6>>>>Quadbeats

Mids: IM50>>>VSD1>>Quadbeats>>>Deltas>>>>>>>M6

Highs: IM50>>>VSD1(not smooth)>Quadbeats>>>Deltas>>>>>>m6

Soundstage: IM50>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VSD1>>>>Quadbeats>>>Deltas>>>m6

Will give a more detailed impression later. Will burn in more. But, they are head and shoulders above everything I have. To simply put, these feel like the first real "audiophile" IEM I have and it's sound is something you can't just discover anywhere without research and patience.

In your comparisons above, does each > indicate a difference is quantity, quality or some combination of the two?

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #229 of 427
It's based on my preferences and my perception of quality. In terms of bass quantity, the M6 has the most abundance, followed by the deltas and the VSD1. The IM50s has the best quality because it has a decent impact with good sub-bass than doesn't get in the was of the other frequencies.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #230 of 427
Short on time, but these are the dual-symphonic drivers themselves:

They're made by Aipon (parent company for MOE Audio), so they're from the same folks that brought us the JVC FXT90, FXD80, FXZ200, etc.

Like I mentioned, they're in an isobaric configuration...

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #232 of 427
Saw this thread, decided to hop on the train and pick up the ATH-IM50s. I got them for 4,920¥ or 47usd?

Impulse buy, but for that price.. who cares?

I only have the ATH-CKS77 iem (LIST:8925¥/SALE5478¥) to compare them to unfortunately, so I'll edit this with my thoughts tomorrow.

EDIT: I was hoping there was more of a difference between the ATH-CKS77 and the ATH-IM50 as people in the thread suggested, but they're pretty close. Upon further inspecting, the IM50 has nearly if not more bass and it seems to be more crisp then the ATH-CKS77 (SUPERBASS) which has it's price reduced to 40 from 110 (correctly).

I favor the replaceable cable, the look, the fit, and the response of the IM50. I'm not quite as blown away as other people have been in this thread, as the CKS77 are still a steal as well... Still IM50.. well worth it.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #237 of 427
Sorry, first time poster here, have owned a couple of ATH stuff like the CKS77 and the ATH M50 and hence i'm pretty much a newbie in the whole earphone/headphone scene.

I was considering getting a pair of UE900s for my first pair of high-end IEMs, however recently when i travelled to japan for my holiday i caught sight of the new IM models for ATH which got me curious. Is it worth it to get the IM04 over the UE900s? or does UE900 compare more to the IM03?

Would appreciate it very much!

On the other hand i'm so sad when i realised that it doesnt ship out of japan T_T which means i have to order it

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #238 of 427
  Sorry, first time poster here, have owned a couple of ATH stuff like the CKS77 and the ATH M50 and hence i'm pretty much a newbie in the whole earphone/headphone scene.

I was considering getting a pair of UE900s for my first pair of high-end IEMs, however recently when i travelled to japan for my holiday i caught sight of the new IM models for ATH which got me curious. Is it worth it to get the IM04 over the UE900s? or does UE900 compare more to the IM03?

On the other hand i'm so sad when i realised that it doesnt ship out of japan T_T which means i have to order it

It's quite a shame that the Audio-Technica stuff isn't that accessible outside Japan, price difference can be huge between buying it in Japan and outside. The IM04 is selling at 44000 yen (roughly $420), that's more comparable to Shure535, UE900 and the like.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #239 of 427

IMHO, the UE900 sounded a lot better to me than the IM04. They are more comfortable and look nicer as well I think. IM03 was a bit more bass forward like the W3. I had a chance to test the IM03 and IM04 two weeks ago and I don't remember being too impressed looking at how much they were being priced at.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #240 of 427
Thanks for the replies!
@SilverRanger wow 44k yen? Lazt i saw it was about 58k to 59k yen... guess i wasnt looking at the right places.

@jonyoo tbh i prefer the way UE900 looks as well, however without any sales the UE900 is going to be a pretty huge blow to my wallet (not to say that the IM04 doesnt haha)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back