Audio Technica's and external amps?
Oct 16, 2011 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mono Indeed

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am currently using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990's + Xonar Essence STX with swapped op Amps. I have been looking at getting a Burson Audio HA-160 to amplify them. However I have also been harking back to my Old Audio Technica Ad-700's and just how comfortable they were. I know they don't sound as good as My DT-990's so I would probably get an adh-900 or 1000 model. What I would like to know is, is there any point buying an external Amp for the Audio Technica range as they are so easy to run?
Are gains in Audio quality when swapping to a really good amp greater for a higher impedence model?

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 10
The Essence STX wouldn't be optimal for Audio-Technica headphones because of its output impedance. Though I don't see much point in spending so much on a Burson.

You could probably say that the gains of a good amp are greater for low impedance headphones. Amps usually have more trouble feeding an undistorted signal to low impedance loads. While even a fairly low quality amp might have inaudible distortion with high impedances, it could have audible distortion with low impedances. A high quality amp should have inaudible distortion with both. We're talking a big difference in quality, though. Even fairly basic amps like Fiios can keep distortion at or near inaudible levels with 15 ohm loads, let alone 32 ohm loads.

Whatever you buy, if you're buying it for Audio-Technicas, get low output impedance and low THD+N. They don't need a lot of power.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 10
Your Essence STX with swapped OP amps should drive almost anything to it's potential

Only a few select models will push it beyond what it is capable of :-

Think Senn HD800, HiFiMan HE-6, Beyer T1 - a few on here drive their LCD-2 from the Essence STX too.

Plenty of people also like it with the AKG K701.

You'll be fine with anything from Audio Technica. Higher end amps may sound more refined
but is it worth the money to you?

Recommend you audition the Burson in the flesh before buying it, I briefly considered it and
when I saw it, touched it and heard it ~ that all changed, it's far too dark and warm and that
stepped volume control is just woeful. Expect machining marks on some units too.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks Guys, think I will just just swap out my headphones for Audio Technicas then, can spend the cash on graphics cards instead :wink:. Given I live in Australia I may one day be near by to a store with the Burson and try them out.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Thanks Guys, think I will just just swap out my headphones for Audio Technicas then, can spend the cash on graphics cards instead :wink:. Given I live in Australia I may one day be near by to a store with the Burson and try them out.

Are you in Melbourne?

If so, Addicted to Audio in Kew have one for audition Monday to Friday along with just about anything else.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 10
Top bloke - George at Addicted to Audio - good retailers like him are rarer than hen's teeth. 

I've bought an Arcam rDAC from him, headphone spares and (tomorrow!) a Violectric V200

Each time, he allows full auditioning and drives a great price all with local distributor warranty.

A real winner when you consider up until now we've had to just buy online or bend over
backwards to the whims of high end HiFi stores who don't care for headphone sales.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Hey guys, I am currently using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990's + Xonar Essence STX with swapped op Amps. I have been looking at getting a Burson Audio HA-160 to amplify them. However I have also been harking back to my Old Audio Technica Ad-700's and just how comfortable they were. I know they don't sound as good as My DT-990's so I would probably get an adh-900 or 1000 model. What I would like to know is, is there any point buying an external Amp for the Audio Technica range as they are so easy to run?
Are gains in Audio quality when swapping to a really good amp greater for a higher impedence model?

Thanks.

I recommend these to you as upgrades over your current sound-card, the second one has just been announced, and will suit your Audio Technica nicely:

Asus Xonar Essence ONE - http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_One/

Audio Technica HA70USB - http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/products/dj-plus/at-ha70usb.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back