Audio Technica W1000 Thread
Dec 16, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #31 of 85
Very good point, wind016.  I guess I need to do the same (optimize my W1000, instead of looking for the next headphone... which is a fun endeavour, but has proven fruitless.)

So, do you guys have a suggestion for an amp in the $600 range (or cheaper :)?  My budget does not stretch to the Yamamoto right now. :)

[]s
Walfredo

Quote:
Exactly, cold or boring in comparison. The genres you listen to are similar to mine's. This thread just makes me want to optimize my W1000s =)  Finding an actual replacement has been rather tough and haven't had promising results.

Quote:
+1 for the amazing vocals of the W1000.

I guess that's why I like them so much.  I mainly listen to acoustic and vocals (jazz, folk, bossa nova, MPB, and other Brazilian genres).  Other nice 'phones I tried sound cold in comparison.

[]s
Walfredo

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #32 of 85
I say wait for pigmode's impressions then see if you'd like to save up to invest in the Yamamoto which seems to be a match made heaven for the W1000. I think I will personally stick with my Woo if I can get the sound I want with a change in tubes since the Woo can power a more versatile range of headphones. I really wish I could A/B the Yamamoto and Woo though.

Right now, I noticed that I prefer the Sophia in my Woo  during the day and the stock tube at night. Strange. haha I guess I finally have a reason to start a tube rolling quest.

Quote:
Very good point, wind016.  I guess I need to do the same (optimize my W1000, instead of looking for the next headphone... which is a fun endeavour, but has proven fruitless.)

So, do you guys have a suggestion for an amp in the $600 range (or cheaper :)?  My budget does not stretch to the Yamamoto right now. :)

[]s
Walfredo

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #33 of 85
Walfredo, the Earmax Pro is known for having good synergy with the AT woodies and my MG-Head Mark III has also paired well with them. Either of them can be had used for under your budget. But yeah, if you plan on sticking with the W1000 you might want to save up for a used HA-02 which is said to be an excellent combo.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 85
Thanks guys!!  I'll keep your recommendations in mind... and indeed wait for pigmode's impressions.  I'm going on vacation tomorrow and there is no point in buying right now. :)

[]s
Walfredo

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #35 of 85
Great suggestion on the EMP, an amp that I have owned and should probably have kept. Its good to bring this thread back to earth as I do feel that the W1000, and to a lessor extent the W5000, have issues that need to be directly addressed within the component chain. The EMP has a forgiving nature, and its basic sound signature would help to bolster the weaknesses of the W1000. This for added versatility, as my experience so far has been that the W1000 is hard on mediocre recordings.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #36 of 85
I even heard the W1000 was designed for the HA 02 in mind and that Yamamoto made the cups for the W1000.

Quote:
Walfredo, the Earmax Pro is known for having good synergy with the AT woodies and my MG-Head Mark III has also paired well with them. Either of them can be had used for under your budget. But yeah, if you plan on sticking with the W1000 you might want to save up for a used HA-02 which is said to be an excellent combo.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #37 of 85
So it's 12am and I'm off work tomorrow so I'm here on Head-fi. After my experience with the tubes, I decided to look more into tube rolling. It turns out my power tubes are 6CY7s which were originally for my Woo 6 (not SE) and they are known for being high gain and bright tubes. I just ordered 6EW7s from Woo and I hope they are my answer. They are known to be good with low impedance headphones, be less dynamic, and have better soundstage. I am still awaiting the answer to my email from Jack Woo, but I'm starting to understand why tube rolling is so addicting =)

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #38 of 85
A few more notes comparing the W1000 to the W5000 (80 hr)--a little different from many of the other comments I've seen. The bass and lower midrange on the W5000 is fuller than on the W1000. OTOH, the W1000's midrange has a very sweet tone and almost approaches a glowing quality on some recording, especially with the piano. Its bass has a tighter and noticeably more visceral impact. At this stage the W1000 definitely goes lower. Female vocals on the W1000 is a bit dryer and thinner, while the W5000 has a warmer tone in that area.

On the Yamamoto. Speaking with Brian from Venus Hifi about voicing the HA-02, he'd suggested a CDP with a warm sound signature. His advice jibes with the basic impressions of the Yamamoto found on the web. I am hopeful that the HA-02 will meet my expectations. At the same time I have a ruthless attitude towards equipment that doesn't belong, and have no problem send stuff down the road right quick. Possible contenders: the HA5000 of course, the Eddie Current Xana Deux, and I'm starting to look deeper into the DNA Sonett, which sounds promising.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #39 of 85
I just received my 6EW7s. Jack sent me two RCAs. I've listening for about 2 hours. It's still very brief impressions. Immediately, plugging it in, I noticed the hum through my headphones is MUCH quieter. The 6CY7 can be a bit annoying with the music off, but the 6EW7 does not have any of those problems. Not perfectly black, but very close. As for the sound, these tubes have a bit less highs than my 6CY7s in the beginning and there was a tad better soundstage as well. I also have to raise the volume a bit higher than before. Now that it's been two hours in, the sound seems to being getting warmer and smoother. The soundstage has further increased a bit more. My W1000 is very clear with more bass impact before, but like always, the W1000 still as some grain in the treble on certain music. Plugging in my W11JPN, they became almost basshead headphones. VERY impactful bass for pop and hip hop. I'm just tapping my feet like no tomorrow.

I may keep tube rolling and see what I find. My next investments are in Tung Sol or Sylvania 5U4Gs. Maybe EML 5U4Gs later on. I must say the Woo 6SE is an amazing headphone tube amp for low impedance headphones. There definitely is no lack of power with the 6EW7s plugged in. The Woo 6SE can hit really hard highs to lows. I think it may be an excellent versatile headphone as an investment if you plan to explore may different headphones and tubes.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #41 of 85
In case it is of interest to anyone, there is a set of W1000's on Audiogon right now for $250:  http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1297995433&/Audio-Technica-ATH-W1000-audio

Mine aren't for sale.  
smile.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #42 of 85
Dec 24, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #44 of 85
I think it is possible for someone to hear both. I had the chance to listen to the K601 in person, but I just passed it. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and had some other priorities.

I heard the K701 and the K501. Some of us here (I won't name who), have heard some rare AKGs, such as the Sextetts for example, and still go back to Audio Technica for vocals. When I had the K701 and the W1000 at the same time, the K701 came out the clear winner in terms of overall detail. However, it was dominated in terms of warmth and ability to make vocals sound natural and intimate. I had the chance to hear the K501 only very briefly, but just long enough to say it had worse low end response than the W1000, which doesn't even have that much subbass. It's overall presentation definitely wasn't enough for me to be interested either. What ever the K501 performed well at, my W1000 already covered it. You can be the judge with your experience with the K601 and K701. I must warn you that the W1000 is still very picky with amplification. You at least need a transformer coupled tube amp. Furthermore, the treble on the W1000 is a bit grainy. It's grainy enough that I'm always on the look out for a potential headphone that could replace it, but it just sounds so great with vocals that I have chosen to keep trying to improve on it even after hearing the likes of the HD800, T1, and W1000X ( I didn't care for the W5000). I have the W11JPN and I still put on the W1000 instead half the time. I think that is saying something.

BTW, you're right about Audiogon... I just registered... No response...

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #45 of 85
I haven't heard the K601 either, but I have heard the K400 and the K701. Really the main difference between those and the ATs for vocals is in the presentation. The AKGs present vocals in a very balanced way, where they are nicely integrated into the rest of the musical performance. With the ATs vocals are less distant sounding and instead sound up close and intimate. I am a vocal lover and much prefer the ATs when it comes to them (in most cases for something like classical or acoustical music I'd rather listen to my K400), but there are also those who consider headphones like the W1000 to sound nasal or shouty. These folks would likely prefer the AKGs for their more well-rounded sound.

The Sextetts are something of a different beast. Vocals with them sound more upfront than the audiophile-style AKGs, but not quite as forward sounding as most of the ATs I've heard. I guess you could say they sound halfway between the newer AKGs and the ATs, with a little bit more in common with the latter. They remind me most of some of the older AT woodies like the W10VTG and the W100 which both have a very liquid sound, but they are not quite as refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back