Audio Technica W1000 Thread
Feb 26, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #77 of 85
How do you folk compare the W1000 with the W5000?

I find the W1000 wonderful for vocals, maybe even better than the W1000X and W3000.  Is the W5000 even better?

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #78 of 85
Nope, W5000 sounds unnatural in the mids, but does strings and piano quite well. Dunno how but that is how it is. Very coloured headphones, very polarising too even with the right amp driving it.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #79 of 85
Thanks, Ra97oR.  I am right now listing to vocals + cello on my W1000 and it sounds perfect. :)

I think I will refrain from upgrade compultion to upgrade for now.... :)  

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #80 of 85
So I just obtained a W1000 out of sheer luck.

Love the treble and midrange. It's perfect to my ears. Sweet midrange and treble that extends very well without being overwhelming. There is a noticeable lack of air due to them being closed, but they still sound very natural thanks to the very well-done treble.

But bass was severely lacking. Well, "was". I've been able to rectify that with some... clever padding of materials in the back of the wood ear cups enclosure, and some rolls of tissue in the ear pads to puff them up for a better seal and also better comfort.

Wow... and now I must say, this is what the W1000X should have been. Simply a W1000 with more bass to balance out the bright treble and midrange section. The W1000 is able to produce some pretty convincing bass without bloat (because it doesn't quite respond that well in the sub-bass region). It's now my favorite general-purpose headphone that's good for pretty much... everything.

Will do a write-up on how to perform this mod whenever I have some more free time.

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #81 of 85
So...

Headphones go round and round... and the W1000 is still very, very special.  Great pairing with iFi Nano, BTW.

I am listening to Yo-Yo Ma's Obrigado Brazil right not and it could not possibly be better.  Cello and vocals are just unbeatable with these.  They almost put you the lap... :)

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #83 of 85
I was able to try them out a few years ago when i was looking out for my first wooden can. when I went to the guy that owned them. He laid these three out for me to audition: the VTG, the AD2000 and this.

If I  would sum up the overall experience (of these phones) in one word, it would be - Polite. Everything sounded plain, although detailed (more than the VTG, less than the AD2000), mainly on the lower frequencies. if I recall correctly, it sounded like a flatter A900 (which i had) with everything sounded more 'forward' if I am using the term correctly, although it may be because the A900 had recessed midrange.

I guess that's why I chose the VTG over these. I personally didn't hate them, but the VTGs 'sang' to me (in a 'female vocals are very close to you' kind of way.) adding to that, their age made them more desirable. plus points for them since I tend to go ampless, and they seem more forgiving to the source.

Now, if I had the chance to try these out again, i would be more likely to buy them. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #84 of 85
FWIW, the W1000 works really, really well with the Questyle 600i.  

Actualy, the Questyle works really well with all ATH woodies.  But, in despite of having the W1000X, W1000Z, W5000, I keep going back to the W1000. :)

May 5, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #85 of 85
Works great with Chord Mojo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back