Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Apr 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #932 of 2,205

Initial impressions, these are almost indistinguishable from the AD900X in terms of build and aethetics. The only differences are metal bands over the wings, two-sided cable and a metal plug. I have to say, for what these cost, they could do with leather pads. They also have what looks a very thin pleather on the section between the pads and the cups, which really should be something more durable. They are still really solidly built though and there is no more comfortable headphone IMO.

Not going to say anything about SQ yet, will give them a proper listen over the next few days alongside the AD900X.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #933 of 2,205
Quote:
Initial impressions, these are almost indistinguishable from the AD2KX in terms of build and aethetics. The only differences are metal bands over the wings, two-sided cable and metal plug. I have to say, for what these cost, they could so with leather pads. They also have what looks a very thin pleather on the section between the pads and the cups, which really should be something more durable.

Not going to say anything about SQ yet, will give them a proper listen over the next few days alongside the AD900X.

Did you mean "indistinguishable from the AD900X"?

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #934 of 2,205
It kinda irks me that the 2kx looks identical to the 900x, but on the other hand, at least it looks like I have a 2kx :p

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #936 of 2,205
Quote:
Initial impressions, these are almost indistinguishable from the AD900X in terms of build and aethetics. The only differences are metal bands over the wings, two-sided cable and a metal plug. I have to say, for what these cost, they could do with leather pads. They also have what looks a very thin pleather on the section between the pads and the cups, which really should be something more durable. They are still really solidly built though and there is no more comfortable headphone IMO.

Yay, the eagle has landed!

From the images I've seen of the AD2000X, it seems like the part where the 3D wings and metal bands come out of the wing is different; elongated. (I think the AD1000X is also different from either in this regard). Can you say if they seem more or less comfortable than the AD900X?

The pads are meant to be made out of some fancy 'escacine' material as far as I know. That's one of the unique features of the AD 2k / 2kX series. At least replacement pads are cheaper than leather ones.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #937 of 2,205
Quote:

Yay, the eagle has landed!

From the images I've seen of the AD2000X, it seems like the part where the 3D wings and metal bands come out of the wing is different; elongated. (I think the AD1000X is also different from either in this regard). Can you say if they seem more or less comfortable than the AD900X?

The pads are meant to be made out of some fancy 'escacine' material as far as I know. That's one of the unique features of the AD 2k / 2kX series. At least replacement pads are cheaper than leather ones.

I don't have the 900X with me, I pick them up from the post office on the way to work. But my feeling is they feel identical to the 900. I will look closely at the pads tonight to compare them. I'm not a huge fan of felt pads, I find they get too hot with extended use, so I will be very happy if the 2Ks use a more breathable material.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #938 of 2,205
A few more impressions... the 2K pads do seem to be a slightly plusher material and they clamp less making them a little more comfortable than the 900s. The 2Ks are also mostly metal, the entire housings apart from the wings are metal. The wings themselves look identical.

SQ very briefly, as I hoped, is basically a more spacious and detailed version of the 900s. The sound sig seems identical, it's like the difference between a headphone amped and unamped, the same thing just bigger, sharper and with more space in between. I'm very happy at this point with the improvement over the 900s. It's still quite a coloured sound, as is well known with AT. I think 'honky' is going a bit too far but I know what people mean by that. It's not just an emphasis on mids, it feels more like a series of spikes and troughs across the spectrum which produces a slightly artificial feel. This is much more pronounced in the lower end AT phones like the ES7. The AD2KX are much, much better than those. But I think with a full sized amp the HD650s might shade these on the basis of a more natural and balanced presentation. But if you don't have a full size amp I'd reckon the AD2Ks would have to be close to, if not as good as it gets.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #939 of 2,205
I am having a hard time finding any info on the AD700x. I am looking for a comparison mainly to the ad700.  Does anyone have or heard both?  I am hoping that it keeps the sound stage of the ad700 but with a, highly requested, bass increase. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #940 of 2,205
Also, I have read a few hundred posts on this forum, and I have not come across anyone using the AD700x or AD900x for gaming. Considering the AD700 were a very popular gaming headset, I am assuming these would be very good as well.  Does anyone have experience with either of these cans for gaming?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #941 of 2,205
Quote:
Also, I have read a few hundred posts on this forum, and I have not come across anyone using the AD700x or AD900x for gaming. Considering the AD700 were a very popular gaming headset, I am assuming these would be very good as well.  Does anyone have experience with either of these cans for gaming?

You're not going to notice much difference gaming between these. I have the ad700 and the ad900x, and used to own the ad900. Minimal difference.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #942 of 2,205
If anyone is interested, my AD500x have about 50 hours on them now, and I'm really happy with how they are now. They aren't overly detailed, but vocals do sound really good on them. Rock and acoustic sounds great. I find them to be really good all-rounders, even if I prefer my A500x slightly more. However, for anyone looking for an entry-level open can I think the AD500x is a really solid choice, and great value for a sub-$100 phone. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #945 of 2,205
Quote:
The AD700x is now available for as low as $135 in the US while the AD900x is still on backorder and for twice the price. Is the 900x that much better?

I just bought mine off of  US amazon early this morning for $210.  I am a prime member so I got the $4 one day delivery.  So I will get them tomorrow! 

Update: I just looked on amazon and I guess from when I bought it this morning till now the price increased back up to $280. I think I lucked out there.  I am not sure how often the price fluctuates on amazon but, I think the price had just dropped right before I bought it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back